Let's get this party started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ronnie, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ronnie

ronnie Member

Hello everybody!
    I have used this forum several times in the past few weeks, I decided to sign up because it's hard to find information online about my "senior" pop-up. I have a 2000 Camplite 2206sl by Damon, which is still in great shape. Some of the things that I have already done was to complete the roof repair the that PO had started. I also welded and repaired the stabilizers & wire brushed everything & painted every thing black again. I have just finished installing my home made roof rack for 2 bikes and gray water tank and a carrier for wood, chairs and whatever...

Right now i am in the middle of replacing the lift cables and winch { thanks to the wonderful customer service at Goshen } as well as to replace all the plumbing for 2 1/2 inch pipe which will be able to connect to sewer hookup or to my grey water. My spring time project is to replace the springs & to do a spring over conversion & clean and get the brakes working..

For now I have not got pictures up loaded of the work that I have done, but will get there lol, but in the mean time click on the link below ...

I'm a member, I'm looking forward to sharing information and experiences with other pop-up people!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/7b7v62

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome aboard, from Massachusetts!

Sounds like you've ready waded hip deep into mods and repairs! This is a great place for ideas, solutions, and inspiration to make your existing ideas more complicated. As well as sage advice for reigning in outlandish ideas. It's awesome.

3. ronnie

ronnie Member

I opened a Flickr account, do you know how to link an album. . I hope this proves less work t&an replacing wheel bearings lol [:D]

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Welcome from western PA. What part of Ohio. Are you in?

5. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Welcome from San Antonio! You're the kind of guy I wish was a neighbor. Sounds like I could learn a lot by watching you.

6. ronnie

ronnie Member

This week i ordered new springs,bearings,brakes and going to do my suspension work next week. I did notice that my axle does have a crown, going up. tires look good. I am first going to just replace all the parts then see how the camper sits and how much height i gained, if not much i also got new perches to do a axle over/under. my brakes are toast thanks to po, so i just went with complete new sets but same drums. will try post pic, but due to the weather sucking, i am going to do it in the garage so it's going to be a tight. I also just got my self a anti sway-bar from harbor freight, will install it once i can get the pop up out the garage. I also ordered a transmission cooler. Thanks to Etrailer..

7. ronnie

ronnie Member

My Rig : the start first time out. now the fun really starts, thanks to popupportal, there are a whole bunch of mods and upgrades come in the next few weeks..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Looks like you done a great job fixing it up. now go out and enjoy

9. ronnie

ronnie Member

So with all the hype about the transmission oil cooler, I just for a little piece of mind I went and ordered one from Etrailer, I have already added the hitch and 7 pin plug as well as air bags to the rear, about 2 yrs ago due to the saggy nature of the vans when loaded. so here are some pictures of the install..

Before stripping the bumper to get to the steel bumper reinforcing and to make install easier.
    [​IMG]

Test fitting the cooler
    [​IMG]

Steel bumper reinforcement removed
    [​IMG]

Cooler bolted to the reinforcement
    [​IMG]

Bumper reinforcement reinstalled
    [​IMG]

Cooler installed
    [​IMG]

Cooler installed closeup
    [​IMG]

10. JimmyM

Solid install. I always hated those "through the fins" type mounts. Well done. That thing ain't vibrating loose.
    Maybe it's the angle of the photo... But check that the right side line isn't kinked a little too much.

11. ronnie

ronnie Member

Thanks, it looks like it in the pic, but its smooth and no kinks..

12. JimmyM

Sweet you're ready to tackle the Ike Pass.

13. ronnie

ronnie Member

So I got round to rebuilding the trailer suspension and brakes, the previous owner did not use then and they were messed up, I also did a axle over under but I am still not sure about it, need to get used to the extra height, but will really help with the new plumbing. With the extra height will need to add an extra step and more blocks for the stabilizers. So here is so pics..

The before
    [​IMG]

Axle pulled and you can see the curve
    [​IMG]

Close up of the curve
    [​IMG]

New perch welded on, axle striped and cleaned
    [​IMG]

Another close up, before painting
    [​IMG]

Sorry just realized I did not take a picture of the brake assembly and hubs before installing them.

Brake drums cleaned and all parts reassembled and painted, and new springs and hangers installed.
    [​IMG]

Another close up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Axle reinstalled on the camper, got to get use to the extra height
    [​IMG]

Did not like the way my plug hid under the bumper, so i got one of these brackets to relocate the plug up and away from the bumper
    [​IMG]

Now to get a new 2 inch drop receiver for my van to keep the camper level..

14. ronnie

ronnie Member

as well today I changed out the regular rotors for slotted and drilled, with ceramic pads all round. I had also added the airbags awhile ago but never took pictures.

New rear rotors and pads, forgot to get the front, but pretty much the same.
    [​IMG]

The air bags are awesome, work well and help with the load.
    [​IMG]

Last week i installed and wired the electric brake controller. will post picture later..

15. ronnie

ronnie Member

Here is my pu all hooked up and level, with the new suspension and anti sway bar added.. I feel that it tows so much better, took it out for a shakedown now to wire up the electric brakes and a few more mods, on the inside and we ready to go camping....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New anti-sway bar from harbor freight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got this hook idea from another post, good way to store the sway bar
    [​IMG]

Some better pictures of my roof rack
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. JimmyM

Nice. I bet it tows a lot better. I love the air bags. I had Gabriel air shocks on my old 93 S10 blazer towing my Jayco Laurel. It was night and day.

I like the "blank canvas" that a popup is. Everyone gets to make it theirs with all sorts of mods.

A good solid set of brakes is always good insurance if the brakes on the trailer fail. Or if you do what I did. Leave the surge brake lockout bungee corded in place on a 3500# trailer. I discovered my mistake on a down hill exit ramp going 65-70. The Performance Friction Carbon-ceramic pads were smelly hot, but never faded. I never made that mistake a gain.

Happy camping!

17. ronnie

ronnie Member

Re: My pup and tv and all the mods and upgrades you can handle...

So it was camp driveway, this weekend, one to have fun with the kids and the other was to do all the mods on the inside.. So here we go, lots of pictures.
    [​IMG]

Got tired of having to crawl under the camper to drain the water holding tank..
    [​IMG]

Next up was the sink plumbing, OMW who the heck thought this was a good idea.
    [​IMG]

Plumbing done my way and will allow me to hook up to a grey tank or sewer line.
    Start of it all..
    [​IMG]

trial fitting and the start.
    [​IMG]

Don't freak out, I removed the trap from the shower and designed this trap to help flow faster with less restriction.
    [​IMG]

New run to the sink
    [​IMG]

more pictures to come..

Next on the agenda

replacing the crappy mercury thermostat, The thermostat I used came from another post,and got it off Ebay :http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rheem-Ruud-Pro1-T701-Non-Programmable-Thermostat-GE-HP-1H-1C/311577831075?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36016%26meid%3Db4907a1f6b01424ab971fd1ba467cd21%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D311275608996

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was to replace one of the plugs with a USB plug charger, got a few 6ft cables from 5 below and they stay in the camper.. NO more dad, I forgot my charger. LOL
    [​IMG]

Next was to install the fridge fan, nice setup and works awesome. Got it of ebay :http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Refrigerator-Fan-to-INCREASE-cooling-inside-Deluxe-custom-Built-/370591777926?hash=item5648fdc486

[​IMG]

Saw this on another link, and last year I did scraped the awning and so was looking for ideas and saw this, done..

[​IMG]

18. ronnie

ronnie Member

[RTM]

19. ronnie

ronnie Member

Well I am sticking with the over under axle setup, it tows so much better and I dont have to stress out about hitting the ground. So with that said I got a new step stool to help with the extra step needed but after almost killing myself due to the kids moving it, and the DW not wanting to use it, I broke down and bought a pretty new 2 step fold out. Nice.. So off with the old one which was only held on with 4 1/4 inch screws like thats smart..

So I called Etrailer, and tried to negotiate a better deal or at least free shipping but no chance of that, so off to my local dealer and what you know they have the same thing in stock, yeah not. There price $149.50, Etrailer $89 oh no, so with a lot of aaaammms and aaahs they gave it to me for $91 $12 buck cheaper than Etrailer after shipping..

Here it is installed and folded, due to the extra leverage, I added some gussets to the rear of the step frame to the frame of the trailer, it is very stable..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Welcome to the site and if you are in Michigan camping, check out the face book page "I Love Michigan State Parks" to check out the post of our great Lake Parks.