Let's talk about Knee pain. Anybody else?

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Don, how many mg of each of those vitamins/supplements do u take each day? I have differing dosage on rhe shelf at CVS
Anthony, I take 3 500Mg capsules of Turmeric Curcumin, and 2 750mg tablets of Glucosamine that also contains 600mgs of Chondroitin. It is one tablet that contain both supliments. The instruction say to take 2 of the tablets per day with a meal. I take one of those in the morning and one at night.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Well, I finally got to see another doctor about my knee. Some of you may be interested in my current condition. First, the new Doctor wants to see some new X-Rays, which I had done the same day. I go back to him next week for the results.

Now for my current condition. I am very confused about what is going on with the knee. The fact is that for the last month and a half I have not had any problems with it other than if I twist it a certain way. It feels perfectly normal when I'm walking. At this point there isn't even any discomfort at all. It's almost like it never existed! I can't figure it out. These things can't heal... can they?

The only thing I'm doing different is that I'm taking these over-the-counter supliments every day. They are 3 500Mg capsules of Turmeric Curcumin, and 2 750mg tablets of Glucosamine that also contains 600mgs of Chondroitin. Can that stufff reallly be the answer instead of Total Knee replacement? The first Doctor said that the injection he gave me last December would only last 3 to 4 months. Well this is the 6th month and it seems to be getting better and better every week. I don't understand it.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Some patients, and some medical professionals say the meds you are taking help. Others claim that it’s not possible. Still others believe that a patient can obtain relief with a placebo (sugar pill), if the patient believes it is helping.
When my hips produced minor pain I went for X-rays that were inconclusive so an MRI was scheduled. You still haven’t had an MRI? Or did I miss it in the thread?
Anyway, the Ortho told me that femurs were dying and surgery was the solution. My pain was moderate, intermittent and so I asked him “when will I have to have the surgeries “? His response floored me. He said “you will know when it’s time”. He was right. I took many OTC meds, graduated to 120mg of OxyContin daily as the bone on bone pain increased and sleep became impossible.
It was time.
When your lifestyle is disrupted you will know it is time. Meanwhile, take the OTC meds, demand an MRI, enjoy the pain free moments and days.
Pain is the body’s way of telling you that something is wrong. How much pain you can tolerate is perhaps different than another person. And the body will try and compensate by changing your gait or posture. Loosing a few pounds will help as will different shoes. But in the end, your body will tell you, It Is Time.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Some patients, and some medical professionals say the meds you are taking help. Others claim that it’s not possible. Still others believe that a patient can obtain relief with a placebo (sugar pill), if the patient believes it is helping.
When my hips produced minor pain I went for X-rays that were inconclusive so an MRI was scheduled. You still haven’t had an MRI? Or did I miss it in the thread?
Anyway, the Ortho told me that femurs were dying and surgery was the solution. My pain was moderate, intermittent and so I asked him “when will I have to have the surgeries “? His response floored me. He said “you will know when it’s time”. He was right. I took many OTC meds, graduated to 120mg of OxyContin daily as the bone on bone pain increased and sleep became impossible.
It was time.
When your lifestyle is disrupted you will know it is time. Meanwhile, take the OTC meds, demand an MRI, enjoy the pain free moments and days.
Pain is the body’s way of telling you that something is wrong. How much pain you can tolerate is perhaps different than another person. And the body will try and compensate by changing your gait or posture. Loosing a few pounds will help as will different shoes. But in the end, your body will tell you, It Is Time.
I honestly don't remember if I had a CT or MRI scan or not. But I think I did at some point in the last 2 years. I know that I have had 2 in the past for a Kidney stone, I just don't remember if the knee was done. I'm going to ask the Doc about that next week when I see him.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
See my post #11 don. Maybe its just the meniscus, and when it feels better its just lined up corectly. Mine hurts for like 3 weeks of the year, and when I convince myself I need surgery it goes away. And I forget about it untill the next year when it hurts.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Don, I am glad you are having it looked at. If the OTC meds are working, keep it up Brother. I saw a Ortho two weeks ago. X-rays done, both knees bone on bone. My Ortho does professional, college, high school, pro rodeo, and Campers, (especially old ones like me). We started with lubricity injections, every thirty days for 6 months. We will revisit the pain level, and motion at that point. If replacement is required we will use " big boy replacements". I am 6' 4" and 240 lbs, was a weight lifter for 35 years, and we have always been runners. If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of the knees. lol We old guys got to hang together. Keep us posted on your progress. See you on the trail.

Reactions: NLB

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Yes, we old guys have to stick together! You know, it's funny that when I met the new Ortho Doctor he asked me how old I was. I told him that I was 75. He said "No!", and then looked at the chart I had prepared to verify my birth date. He said that I certainly don't look like I'm 75. I said, "Well I am, and I'm starting to feel it."

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Okay, this will likely be the last message I post on this thread and on this subject. Yesterday I was able to see another Otho Doctor to review the X-rays and get a second opinion. The diagnosis was basically the same. Even though I am not currently having any pain or discomfort in the knee, the bottom line is that at some point I will need to have my knee replaced. He didn't seem to think it was necessary to have it done anytime soon. He said that when my mobility is affected and the pain returns to give him a call and we'll just do it. He said the knee will let me know when it's time. I was advised to not wait too long though. He said the older I get, I'm 75 now, the more chances of complications and a possible longer recovery time.

I left his office feeling much better about the whole idea. Especially after he raised up both of his pant legs and showed me his two vertical scares from when he had both knees replaced at the same time 5 years ago. He said it was the best decision he ever made. He said that after working all day in the office he would go home in pain. Being a Doctor, he was able to inject his knee with medication which helped for a while. He was in his early 50s at the time and had both knee done at the same time. He needed to get it done and over with so he could get back to work in his office. He was back in the office in 3 months. He also said that he did not recommend anyone over the age of 50 having both knees done at the same time like he did. He finished the conversation by doing a deep knee bend in front of me.

Even though the diagnosis was bacially the same, I very much liked this Doctor over the other younger one I was seeing. The other doctor only knew how to talk "doctor". He had no personality and just insised that I get the procedure done right away. The new Doctor was able to have a good give-and-take conversation with me.

So, I think I'll take his advice and have the procedure done next winter. Maybe around December or January after camping season. That is unless my knee "talks" to me sooner! Right now I have no pain and no discomfort at all. I only hope it stays that way until the end of the year. I would rather have this Doctor do it because he has "been there and done that".

Thank you to everybody who read my long story and posted comments here. Now I'm going to go play some golf.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Okay, this will likely be the last message I post on this thread and on this subject. Yesterday I was able to see another Otho Doctor to review the X-rays and get a second opinion. The diagnosis was basically the same. Even though I am not currently having any pain or discomfort in the knee, the bottom line is that at some point I will need to have my knee replaced. He didn't seem to think it was necessary to have it done anytime soon. He said that when my mobility is affected and the pain returns to give him a call and we'll just do it. He said the knee will let me know when it's time. I was advised to not wait too long though. He said the older I get, I'm 75 now, the more chances of complications and a possible longer recovery time.

I left his office feeling much better about the whole idea. Especially after he raised up both of his pant legs and showed me his two vertical scares from when he had both knees replaced at the same time 5 years ago. He said it was the best decision he ever made. He said that after working all day in the office he would go home in pain. Being a Doctor, he was able to inject his knee with medication which helped for a while. He was in his early 50s at the time and had both knee done at the same time. He needed to get it done and over with so he could get back to work in his office. He was back in the office in 3 months. He also said that he did not recommend anyone over the age of 50 having both knees done at the same time like he did. He finished the conversation by doing a deep knee bend in front of me.

Even though the diagnosis was bacially the same, I very much liked this Doctor over the other younger one I was seeing. The other doctor only knew how to talk "doctor". He had no personality and just insised that I get the procedure done right away. The new Doctor was able to have a good give-and-take conversation with me.

So, I think I'll take his advice and have the procedure done next winter. Maybe around December or January after camping season. That is unless my knee "talks" to me sooner! Right now I have no pain and no discomfort at all. I only hope it stays that way until the end of the year. I would rather have this Doctor do it because he has "been there and done that".

Thank you to everybody who read my long story and posted comments here. Now I'm going to go play some golf.
Don, I am glad to hear that you have found a Dr. that you feel comfortable with. Best of luck my Friend. Stay healthy. See you on the trail.

PaulaBrensinger

Silver Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2021
New Hampshire
Yes, a second opinion is what I want. But with my insurance, I need a referral from my Doctor. I saw him three weeks ago. I told him i wanted a second opinion. So he ordered more X-rays. When they came in, all he said was that I have arthritis in the knee. His nurse relayed that to me on the phone. But I do have an appointment with him next month. After talking with the insurance company, they said that I could get see a different Doctor, but I had to have the referral from my Doctor first. I'm working on it... !
A second opinion ... "and your momma dresses you funny" (a second opinion from the same doctor is zero help at all and might as well be like that old joke, right?

Perhaps convince your insurance that they want to REQUIRE a second opinion - they are already down to pay a big bunch of money for care you're not convinced you need... they should be DELIGHTED that you want another doc to review this - and obviously if you think your doc is in this for the money, they should not want him to send you to his cronies who will agree with him!

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I've been thinking about this knee problem now for the last few weeks. Even though the second Ortho Doctor doesn't seem to think that I need a replacement right away, he did suggest that I don't wait too long. He said that my knee would tell me when it's time. Well, I just got back from a camping trip, as I have said earlier in other posts, and my knee was talking to me. Even though I did not have any pain while on a 3/4 mile hike through brush and rough country, it was letting me know that if I make one wrong step it was going to scream at me. My knee felt weak and unstable when going down in or climbing up a steep incline. But no pain! So I am thinking that it is time for the replacement. My whole family is telling me to "just get it done!" So I think maybe I will call the new Doctor today and schedule the surgery from sometime in the next couple of months.

As I said before, this new Doc has had both of his knees replaced. So he has "been there and done that". I like him much better that the first guy. I'll keep you informed.

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I've been thinking about this knee problem now for the last few weeks. Even though the second Ortho Doctor doesn't seem to think that I need a replacement right away, he did suggest that I don't wait too long. He said that my knee would tell me when it's time. Well, I just got back from a camping trip, as I have said earlier in other posts, and my knee was talking to me. Even though I did not have any pain while on a 3/4 mile hike through brush and rough country, it was letting me know that if I make one wrong step it was going to scream at me. My knee felt weak and unstable when going down in or climbing up a steep incline. But no pain! So I am thinking that it is time for the replacement. My whole family is telling me to "just get it done!" So I think maybe I will call the new Doctor today and schedule the surgery from sometime in the next couple of months.

As I said before, this new Doc has had both of his knees replaced. So he has "been there and done that". I like him much better that the first guy. I'll keep you informed.
Don, Having had two replacements on the same knee due to complications from the first idiot dr and a bunch of scopes on both knees I consider myself somewhat of a knee expert. Lol. When he said the knee will let you know I think it did let you know. The feeling of instability is letting you know its time. Do not wait until you fall. Surgery is not fun and its down right scary but If you have it done and do the rehab and follow the plan you will be glad you did it.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Don, Having had two replacements on the same knee due to complications from the first idiot dr and a bunch of scopes on both knees I consider myself somewhat of a knee expert. Lol. When he said the knee will let you know I think it did let you know. The feeling of instability is letting you know its time. Do not wait until you fall. Surgery is not fun and its down right scary but If you have it done and do the rehab and follow the plan you will be glad you did it.
Well you know, that is what the new Doctor said about his knee replacement. He said that it was the best decision he ever made.

Edit: I just called and made the appointment to start the process. Kinda scary though...

Last edited:

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
Well you know, that is what the new Doctor said about his knee replacement. He said that it was the best decision he ever made.

Edit: I just called and made the appointment to start the process. Kinda scary though...
It is scary anytime you get a procedure like that but its worth it in the end. My wife’s brother had it done a few months back when I asked him how he was doing last week he said he wishes he would have had it done two years ago.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
It is scary anytime you get a procedure like that but its worth it in the end. My wife’s brother had it done a few months back when I asked him how he was doing last week he said he wishes he would have had it done two years ago.
My pre-op counseling is schedule for August 9th. It looks like I might be able to get it done sometime in September. Yes, I am nervous about it. I don't like to have parts of my body cut away. I've grown rather fond of them. The first time a doctor cut parts off of me was when I was only days old. I don't need to mention what parts that was.[:D]. The second time was when I was only 5 years old. They took out my tonsils... I don't know why. Fortunately I don't remember either incident.

I have a neighbor who is aware of my knee situation and plans, and she told me that she has two friends who died from blood clots after surgery. That's just what I needed to hear!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Don , everyone has herd of someone that had a bad surgery, but most just tell the story of my cousin knew a guy that knew a guy and so forth. Medical stuff has come a long way since then. I am not saying there can't be a problem, just thats its rarer then you think. Have it done and tell us how good it went. Stay positive. All you can do.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Well, today was the day I was supposed to see my Doctor to arrange for the Knee replacement surgery. But I cancelled the appointment. I will be scheduling it for a later date though. It seems that a CT scan found a small Stone in my bladder. I didn't even know it. They want to remove the stone first, and at the same time , do something called a TURP to my prostate. And I don't want two surgeries in one month. So the stone will come out first.

The really odd thing is that my knee is not giving any problems. For two years I was getting an injection in the knee every 4-5 months for pain. But I have not had to have an injection now for over 8 months. It just doesn't hurt any longer. The only difference is that I have been taking 3 500Mg capsules of Turmeric Curcumin, and 2 750mg tablets of Glucosamine that also contains 600mgs of Chondroitin everyday. They are both over-the-counter supplements. So the knee will have to wait for winter I guess.