Let's talk about moving firewood.

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by EvilM0nkey, Jul 26, 2015.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

At the campground that I frequent the guy used to have a big firewood operation, he would get logs delivered and then cut split and bundle. Now he gets it from a supplier. It comes debarked and kiln dried, wrapped in plastic with a handle. It just seems wrong to have such processed firewood wrapped in plastic. How times have changed.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Three years ago I had to buy firewood for the first time ever. It felt very odd. It went against all of my 59 years of camping instincts. In the end, I convinced myself, "ya gotta do what ya gotta do."

3. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

On our last weekender we remained in state, so I brought wood from the home stash. It was amazing to have wood that burned easily. I also bring a saw and hatchet on every trip and harvest a bit of local deadwood where it's legal.

Has anyone ever been arrested or ticketed for illegal firewood?

4. dabsond

dabsond Member

Over the camping seasons we have learned where to buy wood just prior to the state park campgrounds. I always leave room for it in the back of our jeep to pick up on the way to the campground. Here in Delaware the state parks are particular about transporting wood from out of state into the state parks. As long as you source it locally they have no problems. I always use a little kingsford matchlight charcoal to start our fires, gives a good hot ember base for a roaring fire.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

In MN parks (state and most others) you need to either buy their firewood, or source it from someone officially listed on the MN DNR approved site. Simply buying it from the guy outside the park isn't good enough, unless the guy is on that list.

Although I've never been policed, they can ask to see the certification stamp that comes with the approved firewood. I *have* been grilled about how I plan to have a fire when I've chosen not to buy firewood when we check in.

JustRelax likes this.
  6. Backtonature

Backtonature Active Member

From my personal work background
    Oh! I gotcha!
    From my past 16 years and a county structural inspector(quit that job in 2016) I was thing as an inspector and Heat Treated is chemical treated to slow down a burn.
    Thanks for clarifying what it truly means for fire wood[:D]

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

We certainly wouldn't want fire wood like that.:smiley:

Backtonature likes this.
  8. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

The stamp or certificate is the way it is here too. If you don’t have that regulation we all bought our wood from the guy right outside the park. If debarked or kiln dried you are ok without the stamp.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

All this talk make me happy i have the propane fire pit in reserve. Its not the same, but it will give off heat, and isnt wet and smokey when you try to light it. I still make reguler fires now and then , but it is becoming more and more used. If i need paperwork for my wood that might just send me over the edge. Its bad enough i have to buy it next to or from the campsite and need a bottle of lighter fluid to get it lit because its fresh.

Backtonature likes this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee, we'll keep on having a wood fire. Its like camping. :D

tombiasi likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have plenty of fires at home, fireplace, fire pit. And plenty of fires at work. Camping is sort of a break! [:D]

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The fires you have at work we can all do without.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. firepit

firepit Active Member

The guy i buy my firewood from sells his to all the camp grounds in the area as well as gas stations.
    He charges me $55.00 for a pick up load... He sells bundles which have 5 or 6 pieces and these place charge $5-$6 .
    The math is pretty easy to figure out....Yet i see people roll up with the bundles from the gas station or campground.
    I see if your out of state and can't bring wood in but the money locals spend on firewood is nuts.
    One benefit of last yrs floods is that firewood is scattered everywhere for easy picking.

14. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I saw it happen at a state forest campground here in iowa a couple of years ago. It is popular with equestrian campers. A bunch of them had brought in illegal wood from Wisconsin. They each got a fine (There were four or five separate offenders.I don't know how much each got fined.), and the park rangers gathered all the wood they could find, dumped it in a gravel parking lot, doused it with gas and burned it all at once. It was a large pile of wood, maybe 8 feet across and 3 feet deep.