Let's Talk About Sleeping In a Pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ErickEsca, Jul 21, 2020.

1. ErickEsca

ErickEsca New Member

My wife and I purchased a used pop up and went on our first mini test trip. I've never hauled anything with my truck, or slept/stayed in an RV or pup. We stayed 2 nights at an RV resort. I figured it would be easy, and convenient if we had any issues. I was right in assuming that. It was flat, it was clean, the staff was nice, and we enjoyed some of the local company.

We're back home now and I am exhausted. I came home, sat on the sofa and passed out! I don't ever do that, so I know I'm a little sleep deprived. I didn't expect my sleep to be super great since it was my first time, but I figured maybe you can pass along some tips and tricks on how you get a good night sleep in your pup.

We have a king sized bed on one side, which is where we slept. I bought an extra padded topper blanket, and I was surprised to find I woke up without a soar muscle in my body. Big difference compared to tent camping. I think a fan for louder white noise might be a "need to have" for next time, as little noises made my Dog's head pop up, and I'm already a light sleeper.

What do you guys do to ensure you're well rested?

AMC likes this.
  2. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

For us we are out in the boat 5 or 6 hours in the hot sun fishing, which is kinda of tiring. Then we party by the campfire. By the the time we crash for the night we are pretty tired. Oh yea we don't have a Dog that keeps waking us up either. Forgot to mention we are old too.

HappyTraveler, Be-Ce, arge and 3 others like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Yeah if your a light sleeper like I am white noise app and worse case ear plugs. I found putting reflectix in the bunkend also help keep the Bunkend darker so less light to wake you. I frequent state parks myself as I find they are quieter so less camper noises but bug noises may be louder. I still wake up a time or two but usually can fall back to sleep quickly enough unless something startles me enough. Part of it could also be your body still trying to get used to the new sleeping arrangements. A few more trips under your belt may help too. I do have a lot of trouble sleeping with the AC I find that thing is too noisy for me, but sometimes it’s a necessity. Oh not sure how your dog does with a crate, but sometimes they sleep better in a crate. They sometimes need to feel the four walls around them to not have to be so alert. As much as it was a pain to haul a crate with me my dog really does so much better with it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    HappyTraveler and Rempop like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Fans are good . Some like to put floor matts , the puzzle type, under the mattresses. Other then that , you will adjust!

Rempop, Camper054 and Orchid like this.
  5. ErickEsca

ErickEsca New Member

Well it sounds like the key to a good night sleep is to spend all day in the sun and party by night! Haha. I will admit my wife and I went out and had some drinks last night, which is rare for us, so I'm sure that effected our sleep a lot too... but even the first night when I woke up, I was tired all day!

6. Sjm9911

Its new, and you were adapting. Maybe even overthinking the next days events, if you set so and so up correctly, and how you will pack up when you leave. Thats just a guess.

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Rising before dawn & spending several hours on the water couple times a day in the yak & 2 stiff drinks consisting of Coreson Anejo tequila & ginger beer at night around the flames does it for me...

8. ErickEsca

ErickEsca New Member

The reflectix are a good idea. That might also help a little bit with moisture, which we had to deal with the first night. Sheets felt a little dewy. I wish I was a naturally hard sleeper. My wife is. She passes out and nothing wakes her! I've just never been so lucky. I have to cover my eyes, and ears in order to sleep without being woken up. I can be asleep in our home, in the bedroom, and the ice maker in the kitchen will startle me awake!

9. ErickEsca

ErickEsca New Member

I 100% agree with you. The build up and anticipation and worry about what COULD go wrong, also being in a new setup makes you, naturally, turn on the high alert setting in your brain. I'm definitely not giving up! I think this next time I want to find a campsite that's a little more relaxing, less people and less noise. The spot we went to was by the beach, but it was also by a train track. That didn't help, but I think the trains stopped running around 11ish anyway.

10. Sjm9911

I did the same thing, and by asking here shows its a concern. So even if your not actively thinking about it, its still in your head. Youll get it. And set up take down will be instinctive. I dont sleep well at all, my job ruined that lol. So im up at the drop of a pin also. It will get better. I still get up with the sun, but that gives me time to sit and have coffee.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Melatonin

HappyTraveler and Mamalise like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I pretty much never sleep the first night out. After that I'm pretty good.

It may just be getting used to the different sounds or movements of the camper. I'd give a couple trips before stressing about it.

fronsm, southern gal, Skidz and 4 others like this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ambien

neighbormike, Spridle and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Oh that is so me. It’s crazy, my little side kick can whisper and I’m up. My Little side kick is complete opposite, the alarm can go off for over an hour and she sleeps right through it. Getting her up is like pulling teeth. When she was a toddler I found her head on the floor more times than not and she’s still fast asleep.
    Sometimes cracking a window can help with moisture, but I find if it’s raining the air inside the camper can also feel damp and not much you can do with that. AC can help, but it can’t keep up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

:eek:

netslacker and Orchid like this.
  16. adkdave

adkdave Member

Several years ago when I took a boating safety course the instructor lectured us about stressors that occur when an person is over-stimulated by environmental factors that are not part of your normal life. These include sun,wind,noise,changing weather conditions, and camping. The fatigue you felt is perfectly normal. Some people find it relaxing and sleep well, others not so much. In my backpacking days I never slept all that well and it hit me like a ton of bricks when I got home. When I fish in a boat all day it happens, but not as severe.

Be-Ce likes this.
  17. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Ambien helps!

I tend to use fleece summer bags, no moisture. Definitely a fan or something for white noise or ear plugs if none. But after ten years of popup camping, I often sleep better in the popup than I do at home.

The mattresses are always a question here. Hundreds of posts on it. We have fresh 3" poly foam mattresses and a 2" bottom piece that I slide in after we set up. 5" of fresh poly foam does pretty well.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Orchid likes this.
  18. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Active Member

Romance.

19. Fishpit

Fishpit New Member

I'm also a light sleeper, I find that running fans and/or AC helps. In addition, I always book campsites away from the shower house and major roadways (vehicle headlights flashing through PUP).

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Can't relate, some of the best sleep I get is when we're camping. We're raising grandchildren that keep us active when we are out. They go to bed a few hours before us and we unwind have an adult beverage or two (DW one if any) and relax. I'm usually up by daybreak and start coffee walk a bit until coffee is ready then enjoy coffee and quite in the screen room until I detect movement in the PUP. Then I start breakfast and have more coffee.

campfire Joe and neighbormike like this.