Let's Talk About Sleeping In a Pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ErickEsca, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

honestly, we've never had that problem but, we've been camping for decades... different tents, different sites, different setups, different bedding... so when we got our PUP, it was different but, all the same... one thing we do [and this might have something to do with our "no problem"].... we sit around the campfire until we can't sit no more and the eye-lids start to close... sometimes it early [after a strenuous day of hiking, swimming, canoeing, etc.] and sometimes it's late....campfires are, for us, the BEST sleep aid... if it's a "cool" night, we have the bunk end windows open and the woodland, night sounds are sooo peaceful [it DID take us 1 night to get used to the whippoorwills on our last outing in the mountains of central PA but, they became an anticipated joy]....SERENITY NOW!!! [LOL]... even rainy nights, when no campfire can be had, have, for us, another calming dimension to the "night-time experience" [unless it's "Armageddon", there have been a couple of nights we've chosen to sleep in the car for safety... few and FAR between] ... Bottom Line... the further we're immersed in nature and the farther away from "civilization" the calmer we are, the better we sleep...best of luck... we hope and pray you come to a solution!... and Happy Trails

Rik Peery and campfire Joe like this.
  2. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life Gold Supporting Member

I’m usually the one waking the birds up at 5am:) I am a very early riser, well before there’s any light in the sky. That pattern doesn’t change when camping. I’ll make coffee and read until the campground starts stirring, then I’ll start breakfast.

3. Caper

Caper Member

I never trust doctors, but my bartender suggested beer and thus far its been working great :)

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

When I was young I could lean against a wall and sleep standing up.

Rik Peery and campfire Joe like this.
  5. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Wow mark after reading about your comfy night you almost put me to sleep!;)

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I slept like a baby in our Pup. We always left the flaps down, just screens. I loved the quiet at night and waking up to birds singing in the morning.

We have a travel trailer now and sleeping is what I miss most about the Pup.

7. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I'm the lite sleeper and my wife is dead to the world...snoring away. So, I'm used to sleeping with earplugs and I do it almost every night I camp. I run the ac in the "on" mode and not auto so it stays running and not cycling on and off. I run at least one fan to get air circulation into the bunk end. I have reflectix in the windows and pugs on the roof to keep it dark and as cool as possible. That's what I do...oh and I really try to get the camper as stable as humanly possible. 3 kids and a 75 lb dog can move it around a lot!

firepit likes this.
  8. bkoz

bkoz New Member

3 years in and my wife and I still have issues sleeping in our pup. We have done most of the things mentioned above and it is still not a fun experience.

Now that our little guy is old enough we are planning to go back to a large tent with cots.

9. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

It's like many have already replied, a new environment and such. Kind of like I see guys who buy motorcycles. They have their friends all tell them they need this or that and they go out and spend all this money and still are not comfortable. Spend some time in the pup and for a longer period of time before you go out and spend a boatload of money trying to make it yours. With our trailer we did go out after the first night and buy a mattress topper. We just knew that the existing mattress was not going to work. but since then it has only been maybe one or two items a season as we learn the camper and how we use it.

10. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

It took awhile for me to get things together to get a "good night" sleep. One was the little fan. Not only for the white noise but for air movement to keep the moisture from settling in the camper. Even with the flaps open we'd get the moisture in the bunkends. The air movement helps with that. We both went for an air mattress also. My DW did it first because of her back issues and after several trips I tried it. Big difference for me too. I have gotten to the point now where I can sleep through the neighbors partying.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I long ago realized that one key for me to sleep well was familiarity with surroundings - not necessarily the walls around me. Once I learned to set up my sleeping area as close to the same every time, I slept a lot better. That applied in tents, on the floor at friends' house, and in the TT. While it changes a bit each time the equipment changes, I know, for example, if I reach out, my watch (& now phone) is located there. I sleep much better in the camper than in any hotel, etc. (Not planning on staying in any of those any time soon!)
    In any tent, including a popup with canvas, the wind is going to rattle the canvas and zipper pulls. Windy nights usually mean less restful sleep - just as at home when we have canyon winds that rattle the window screens.
    My husband has never been the best at falling asleep, no matter where he is. We were talking last night about his new sleeping bag and pad set-up for backpacking - he allows that he's more comfortable, but still doesn't sleep very well in the back country; he had a weekend backpack trip a couple of weeks ago. I asked about the comparison with front country tent sleeping, and he says he just does not sleep as well in the back country. Whether he's more on alert to surroundings, over-tired, or some combination, he doesn't know.

Mark CASTELLANI and Mamalise like this.
  12. Mamalise

Mamalise New Member

We were out in a state park in the Finger Lakes last weekend. The campground was packed. In the evening (8-9) things quieted down except for the campers across the lane from us, who were blasting hard rock, yelling, partying etc. til one minute before quiet time. Then all we heard was two groups entire conversations. Clearly those around me impacted my sleep, but sounds of nature relax me. Reminding people to be quiet after dark shouldn’t be our jobs. It should come naturally.

We are still adjusting to the hard beds in our pup. I think I will try to find more remote places to camp, and try to avoid crowded weekends ... right now people are just trying to get some vaca in... before the fall. Its noisy out there!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. AMC

AMC Member

Thus may sound crazy but that is why we never camp less than 3 nights. It seems to take until that 3rd night to finally feel my body and mind decompress.

14. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I AM more alert when we're out but, knowing that my "gear" is within arms reach and I can get to it without opening my eyes gives me that security to nod off... granted, I have been woken, many times, with activity in, and around the campsite [sometimes bears] but it's still the BEST sleep I ever get

Happy Trails

kcsa75 likes this.
  15. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

you probably wore yourself out with stress, work (packing) being in natures fresh air activity (hikes ect) listening to all the little noises ect basically over extended yourself from little experience. you'll get it relax

16. 98Viking-2490

98Viking-2490 Member

We put a 2" memory foam topper on top of the foam mattress our side of the Pop-Up... run a fan facing each bunk and left our ceiling vent fan on as well.... No A/C so the fans really help...

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

We also had king bunks and we actually slept across the mattress so that either one of us could exit without crawling over the other. I'm 6'1" and was surprised there was enough room.

Once it becomes home, you'll sleep much better.

18. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

I have been on 8 or so trips so far. I usually sleep well - except for waking up to pee...and typically get a long duration of sleep...but I never feel as rested after camp sleeping as I do sleeping in my own bed. I wish I had the same experience as others who report sleeping better while camping...not me, not yet anyway.

-Steve

19. fronsm

fronsm Member Silver Supporting Member

I've only used mine once so far, but I know from tenting, it was better than that. I use ear plugs all the time, so that helped. Looking forward to stringing a few nights together soon.

20. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

Yes!

I love a lot of things about the popup, but I think the beds are consistently top of the list. They are flat and level, dry, and don't have rocks or roots poking me in the back. So although I'm not sleeping as well as I do at a home, it's light years ahead of tent camping.

fronsm likes this.