Let's Talk About Sleeping In a Pup

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ErickEsca, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Camping&Coffee

Camping&Coffee New Member

White noise machine is the key. Lots on Amazon. I recommend the Rohm which is a rechargable battery operated unit. We all love it.

2. leo girard

leo girard New Member

we are on our second year with the pup. I'm a fat guy so my biggest issue was worrying about the bunk end holding up. I know it will, but I just could not relax enough to sleep good worrying about it.

I used some legs from a popup tent that got wrecked in the wind. It allows for me to change the length of the pole in half inch increments with the push button extension holes. I set these under the corners of the bunk ends on the main bed.

I used the pink half inch folding insulation (for house siding) and stapled it to the bunk deck below the mattress. really helped in temp control.

I bought a 3 inch cooling air pillow topper. (I'm at my limit for the roof clearance)

we use a portable 10,00 btu air conditioner that has a dehumidifier built in. it keeps the pup in the high 60's at night and dry as a bone. i did drill a hole in the floor behind the left wheel to run the hose for the dehumidifier to drain out.

we sleep pretty good (till 7:00 am when the boy wakes us up)

campfire Joe likes this.
  3. sch5034

sch5034 New Member

I put a cheap air mattress underneath the thin camper mattress, and it makes a huge difference. I think it's just as comfortable as my bed at home. What's nice with the air mattress compared to a memory foam topper is that once you deflate it, it doesn't take up any additional space. Having the camper mattress on top kind of dampens out the bouncy-ness, and it's really comfortable!

campfire Joe likes this.
  4. Tarry R Long

Tarry R Long New Member

There is a product called "Calm" that is sold at "GNC stores" (where I found it), that is a powder that you stir into a glass of water and drink. This is also good for preventing muscle cramps and helping to recover from cramps, as it has magnesium in it. As the name implies, this is also supposed to help you relax.

Also, it has been my experience with RVs, the manufactures put the cheapest mattress in, that can be found. I replace the mattress in my RV before the first trip with a 6" memory foam mattress I found on Walmart.com for under $200.00.

campfire Joe likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Have you figured out why the camper is less restful than a tent?

I suspect for some, the movement of the camper is the culprit. Using additional stabilizers may help.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. davido

davido Well-Known Member

My 2015 Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G popup's mattresses aren't fantastic. My hip tends to sink into them and rest on the wood platform below the mattress. My solution was to pick up several of those closed-cell backpacking foam pads. They're about 3/8ths of an inch thick, with dense foam. I place them side by side under the mattresses so that they fill the area. They don't add any appreciable height to the mattresses, so the roof still closes fine. But they do provide a softer landing when my hip sinks through the mattress. Instead of a hard plywood pressure point under the mattress, I have a very firm closed-cell foam pressure point; this is much better. Since making that change, I've done a lot better.

It's also important to have a pillow at least as good as what you use at home, and bedding that is comfortable. Proper ventilation is good, too; a hot, humid, stuffy popup is going to be hard to sleep in.

In the end, it's true that you won't sleep quite as well in any bed that is not your regular one until you're used to it. The more you do it, the more used to it you'll become. Also do realize that you're probably a lot more active when camping than you would be on a typical day at home or in the office. It could be that you were just fatigued from being more active than usual.

7. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter New Member

I usually let my buddy Evan Williams read me a bedtime story...

Got my used pup in November, got to actually use it July the 4th weekend. Slept great, including power napping during a little rain on Sunday afternoon. But I learned a long time ago to always bring your pillow with you. The one you use every night.

fronsm and HappyTraveler like this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Sleeping is different for everyone. Me, I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. When it is bedtime I am usually zonked within 15 min. I have been known to doze off on trains standing up, in mid conversation at night while in bed, etc.

Evaluate what is different vs. your bed at home. Softer/firmer, pillows, bedding, noise, stability? Is there anything about sleeping outdoors that is causing you anxiety? Do you stress about packing up on the last day? Try and narrow down what might be affecting your sleep and tackle those differences.

For me I have found that a good sleep foundation works wonders. I tent camp a lot with scouts, and I have invested heavily in various types of lightweight cots that I can use in the typical 3-4 person dome tents. I sleep just as well in a tent as in my pup now. Before I nailed down my system I often woke up with sore hips and back, less rested, and many times getting up in the middle of the night.

My cot and pup foundation are very similar. Foam pad of some sort below the mattress, stock mattress, foam topper, normal sheets (fitted and flat) and a comforter. I use compressible Thermarest camp pillows and they do a good job of replicating what I have at home, and they all have pillow cases.

For my cots I use a closed cell foam pad, Thick inflatable sleeping pad, roll up soft foam pad topper, sheet system with integrated top quilt, and the same pillows I use in the pup. I do have two different inflatable pads I use depending on the trip - a Sea to Summit dual chambered comfort deluxe for space/weight sensitive trips, and an Exped Megamat for regular car camping. Many times I actually look forward to sleeping as I tend to get a better nights sleep than at home now, but that is probably because we changed our mattress last year and I find it too firm, and the memory foam we got to soften it up makes me hot and I always feel like I am sleeping in a ditch.

9. Matt D Wilder

Matt D Wilder Member

For me the biggest thing to help me sleep was putting the wife in the back bed. You have 2 why not use them. The other is putting the porta potty inside at night so my wife is not in and out 4 times. Then there is alcohol consumption double it. You should not go to sleep camping you should pass out!

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I put 3 inch memory foam and factory 3 inch foam pad into a waterproof mattress Bag. Sheets, pillows, and bunk fan going. I prefer to be Boondocking in nature. State parks are a little too loud and resorts forget about it.

Pillows are huge in this comfort zone search. I have 6 compressible pillows and 5 thermarest.

11. Alan

Alan Active Member

It sounds like your first camping trip went well...not at all like ours where I almost died when leveling the camper, having no electricity and then nearly started a forest fire when I lit the lantern! It's funny now but when you have a lantern with the fuel in the tank boiling...that's a bit worrisome!

I'm a light sleeper but have no problem sleeping in the pup, but don't have much time under my belt with our Pop-up like some of these folks. I find the bed to be very comfortable. That said, we go hiking and kayaking during the day and at night sit around the fire, roast a few marshmallows which are awesome while sipping a little Brandy! We even found some tiny little Brandy Snifters at a thrift store. The EJ VSOP and XO Brandys are excellent with a roasted marshmallow. The XO has Vanilla, Toffee, Brown Sugar and Soft Maple flavors and is really awesome with a nicely toasted Marshmallow.

The key to good sleep is a lot of exercise during the day along with some great hank-panky at night! LOL!

campfire Joe likes this.
  12. Ernie

Ernie New Member

It may just take a while for all of you to become adjusted. I remember my first night was pretty restless. We placed the floor mat puzzle pieces under our bed. Our dog took a few nights to adjust as well. She finally found that she likes to lay under the table in the slide out portion of our PUP. I think it's because the benches on either side make it feel more enclosed like a crate. She's a large dog so bringing her giant crate isn't an option.

13. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I generally sleep poorly. If I don't fall asleep in the first 10 minutes, I might toss and turn for 3 hours. Melatonin had zero effect on me.

I quit drinking a few years ago, and that might have an effect. My mornings still feel much better though.

CBD seems to be some help for me. Especially the gummies when I can find them.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think i need a case of that calm. [:D]

15. DanielDelrae

DanielDelrae New Member

My husband and I are older, late 50's early 60's and we put air mattresses with a foam topper on the bed. We sleep so much better now. No aches, pains and not tired at all. We took two twin mattresses and put inside the foam cover to keep them together. We then cut holes to inflate and deflate for packing up. It has been amazing.

HappyTraveler and Pommom70 like this.
  16. paddykern

paddykern Member

Both pop-up we owned had really poor bed cushions.
    First one had all new upholstery made by a professional.
    Sleep better than at home.

Second pop-up I experimented with layering different densities of foam from a foam distributor.
    Thick high density on the bottom with egg crate foam on top of that.
    Just covered with a mattress pad.
    Again we slept better than at home.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  17. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member Gold Supporting Member

After sleeping on a 2" foam rubber mattress on a solid piece of flat metal (foo-ton) for 20 yrs on aircraft carriers; I sleep like a baby in my pup. At least I don't have airplanes landing on my ceiling and I have fresh air and the sound of nature at night.

BillyMc likes this.
  18. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I totally am the same way.
    Sounds like you've got the physical part taken care of, you're not waking up sore.
    That's a good thing.
    For me, I have to have it pretty dark. As jmkay1 mentioned, having reflectix in the bunkend windows helps with both headlights and sunrise shining in. It also can help a little with some noise. I also have blackout lined curtains in the rest of the pup to help with this, too.
    I like to sleep cold, so having the a/c on helps with that, as well as the white noise. It also drowns out the rest of the cg noises.
    Finally, and this is crazy, I have to sleep on the same side of the bed in the pup as I do at home. And now it gets weird, but if I can orient my head so it's pointed in the same direction it is at home, helps me too. If not, then that first night isn't as great.
    One of the reasons I like my pup is b/c I'm used to sleeping in it and so don't have those first night of sleeplessness that I would get from staying at hotels or other people's houses.
    We also spent at least a week or two sleeping in it while in our driveway, which helped me tweak things.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

40 years sleeping in the back woods on the ground in a tent, the pop up was such an improvement I had no problems sleeping. And now that we have a TT, I sleep even better [SNZ][SNZ]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  20. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

I came to realize the reason I didnt sleep well camping was because I got cold. I found myself drifting in and out of sleep waiting for that first sliver of light that signaled daybreak.. then I would get up and hang out by myself for hours until others woke up ( not really the worst part).
    Now I make sure I'm warm enough and I sleep like a rock.

Figure out what keeps you awake and fix that .

Jack Sprat and HappyTraveler like this.