Lets talk paint!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by dirt4dinner, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dirt4dinner

dirt4dinner Hopin' parts don't fall off!

Alright, we have the inside of our 1980 Coleman Saratoga looking SWEET! However, from the outside it looks like...well....a 30 year old PUP. If you rub up against it it leaves white dust all over your pants.

Has anyone reading this ever painted (either at a shop, or by themselves) an older PUP? I was thinking about dragging it down to the local cheapo car painting shop and seeing if they would blast it with one color from top to bottom. I don't know what kind of prep work it would take. The factory paint is a freakin' mess! It's rubbing off in many places and looks terrible.

What are your thoughts on what it would take to get this PUP a nice new look?

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I can't find any of the links, but I know there were folks who have painted older pups similar to yours, and had GREAT results. Its fiberglass, right? Or Aluminum, whichever it is, just scuff up the surface, and throw some primer and paint on there, IMO. It always seems like those cheapo paint places do appropriately named cheapo work, and paint ends up where it shouldn't...

3. jjmac

jjmac Member

I just got finished painting mine (pics here). I am very pleased with how it has held up so far but the long term durability is yet to be seen.

If you read through the posts I also detailed the exact paint I used.

4. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

I painted my almost-30 year old popup with Valspar Exterior gloss enamel and a roller. I cut in the edges with a paint brush. I prepped with a Scotch-Brite pad to give some tooth for the paint to stick to. The roller put a little texture to the paint that I like. The camper is aluminum. You'd need to get your oxidized paint or fiberglass prepped right so the new paint doesn't end up in your driveway. Now there's probably some pro painters here that cringe at painting a popup with a roller, but I like the way mine turned out. If you're on a budget, you could go this way and have a pretty decent paint job when you were done, IMHO.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I painted my 66 Nimrod Capri (oh I miss that camper!) with automotive paint. My father-in-law had the materials, I just had to buy the coloring. I matched it to my white Ford Explorer.

All we had to do was wet sand the camper and remove the exterior lights. Then we sprayed it on. Looked incredible! I then hand painted the original Nimrod nameplate to stand out against the new color.

Here is the best pic I have of that camper
    [​IMG]

The paint held up as well as my car's paint did...

I would imagine that your camper is Aluminum, being a Coleman. Wet sand then apply paint...

6. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

We painted our old Starcraft with a roller. I used a powerwasher to remove whatever paint would come off (a p/o painted it babypoo brown). I primered it, masked off the trim, then rolled Krylon on it. It does have some texture to it, but we don't mind. It's a 40 y/o popup. We also painted the roof with the RV roof paint Walmart sells. We were on a budget, so we kept it simple.

I think there's pics in my photobucket gallery. If you take your time and go slower than I did(and don't have a 5 year old helper) you'll get better results. I'm a horrible painter, but I didn't do too badly.

7. klhayes77

klhayes77 New Member

I am at the end of repainting my jayco 1207.I will soon be posting pictures. The best thing to do is clean it with a good cleaner like TSP degreaser,scuff it it with some sandpaper. Then prime it with a good latex primer(sherwin williams pro-cryl) Then topcoat it with a good industrial latex paint(sherwin williams sher-cryl)Mine turned out great.

8. coleman83

coleman83 New Member

I just washed mine and give it all a good coat of zymal polish looks great to me.

9. dirt4dinner

Well I just swung by the local Maaco paint/ bodyshop store and got a quote to paint the PUP. For $500 they will completely prep the entire thing, and hit it with new off white paint. That seemed fair enough to me. I am going to remove the lights, and other gadgets that I can get off and I am planning on dropping it off on Monday for it's first paint job since 1980.

I am going to have all new stickers made, and hopefully lay down a couple pin strips once I get it back. It will be a completely new trailer. WE CAN'T WAIT!

10. jjmac

jjmac Member

Good luck! And post plenty of photos when you get it back!

11. dirt4dinner

I will certainly take photos. I am really hoping it comes out good. I told the manager that I have been warned about their lack of prep work...so hopefully he goes the extra mile to prove me wrong. I am doing most of the work before hand though. I am removing all the lights and name plates so all that will be left are the hinges for the roof and they can tape those off. I will keep you posted. They told me it will take 4-7 days to complete. I will get good before and after photos.

12. dirt4dinner

I dropped it off this morning at Maaco. We will see what happens! They said it should be done Thur.

I did a lot of the prep work, as far as removing all the lights, bumper, and spare tire rack. All they have to do is sand, tape, and spray.

13. Wannafishmore

Wannafishmore New Member

Have you caulked the pup yet?

14. dirt4dinner

I assume you mean around the roof? No, I am going to redo the roof once I get it back from paint. I am going to remove the old caulk, paint the top with elastic RV roof sealant, and then re-caulk the joints. I have a few other things on the trailer that need sealing as well.

15. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Okay, well I'm more than a little bummed.
    Just received a verbal estimate over the phone from Maaco here in Vegas after sending them pics and specs this week re: painting the exterior and frame/toungue etc.

$ 700.00 bucks! REALLY?

I was expecting MAYBE $350.00. Guess I was a little off. Not only much higher than I thought-- but the store owner said that because of their system in use-- the high pressure could possible result in overspray into the nooks and crannies- blasting inside since PUPs are not airtight like an auto is somewhat. Fun Times.

So... anyone here want to join me and become a pen-pal on a joint paint project? I'm going to dig deep into all of the posts here (and there are a TON of them with great info!). Let me know and we can take this "journey" (lol) together. Fortunately, I do like to paint and have had some great luck with other projects in the past. I want to start in the next week or so hopefully!

Just shoot me a note if you want to join me..Thanks!
    DSC

16. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I repaint my roof and touch up my tongue and bumper every year with spray bombs.

Here we'll throw a photo in here for "visual effect"..... [;)] [;)]
    [​IMG]

17. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member

I am with you Darren. Paint job is in my to do list. My 1983 Sun Valley has aluminum sides and plastic fron & rear. Roof is aluminum. What is yours made of?

18. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Cool deal Jerry-- The sides are definitely aluminum.. I know that b/c when I first purchased I took Goof/Goo-Off (one of them) to pull off the old cracked and ghosted old striping and all of a sudden I was looking at a 1" patch of shiny metal. lol I think the front and rear are as well as I backed into a low-lying boulder once and dinged it on a corner. The dime-sized "ding" is still there so definitely not plastic.

No clue what the roof is made of. Metal I think? The surface feels the same as the sides

I'll shoot you a note-- after pulling the latest and greatest methods here after some in-depth reading and we can figure out a common plan. If anyone else wants to join in-- it will warrant starting a thread together. Thanks!

19. capy235co

capy235co Member

Good luck and keep us posted. My pup looks pretty good except for the underside frame members and tow bar area. That will be my spring paint project.