Letterboxing

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by henrywil22, Feb 27, 2011.

1. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

I know a lot of people who geocache, and I have even considered downloading a geocaching app for my Droid, but wonder if anyone on this site has ever tried letterboxing? My wife and son love doing it when we go camping and it is cheap, no GPS needed. He is a link to a website for letterboxing for anyone interested.

http://www.letterboxing.org/

2. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

we've done it but we prefer geocaching!

3. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

Yes, I've been Letterboxing for years. I have planted several boxes too. I prefer the old fashioned treasure hunt using obscure clues rather than the high tech geocaching way of using multi-billion dollar satellites to find rubber chickens in trees. Yes, that's right -- there is a geocache that includes a rubber chicken in a tree. I know who found it. :)

4. bflentje

bflentje Member

I've done both but obviously prefer geocaching. No shortage of adventures geocaching has taken me on.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We do both, but letter-boxing clues are more interesting. You have to "look" more. The geocaching site helps up to see if the locations have been found lately. Geocaching says "its right there" and it isn't. So it is a 50/50 slip for us.

6. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

Maybe letterboxing should get a sub heading on the website under geocaching... its just a thought.

7. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Big fan of letterboxing. If anyone is interested check out atlasquest.com. You can sign up for free and get a trail name and find letterboxes all over the world. We have a great time looking and you have to figure out some great clues. Planted a few too. [;)]

8. eoitker

eoitker Member

Never heard of letterboxing but it sounds fun! Seems like you would be more involved than just following the arrow on your GPS to the cache!

9. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

We've tried letterboxing and just never think to search for them before we head out to find a geocache. Haven't checked out their site in awhile, probably should.

10. Mary Bordeaux

Mary Bordeaux New Member Gold Supporting Member

Love, love, LOVE letterboxing. We haven't done much lately because we've found all the findable ones in our area and near our summer camp in Maine, and even along the interstates coming and going. We're the Killer Bs on Atlasquest. We haven't done much lately because we haven't been travelling to new areas. But now that we have a new TT and are planning more trips, we'll be getting the letterboxing backpack out of storage. Next trip, Huntsville AL for Thanksgiving with my brother - STranger and Knotty Lady on AQ - big time letterboxers. We tried geocaching a couple times, even bought a handheld GPS - masochists hiding thimbles in the middle of a forest - no thanks! Exercising my brain to figure out written clues is way more fun!