Letting Family/Friends Use Bathroom

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by rjhammetter, Aug 16, 2019.

1. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

To those who have TTs or PUPs with toilets and black tanks: do you let friends, family and guests use your toilet? I wondered this recently when I watched a guy empty his tank(s) into the sewer with latex gloves on. I dumped mine a couple days later and saw what comes out of the black tank through my clear elbow. Yuck. I mean, it's gross enough to dump a week worth of waste generated by you, your spouse and your kids. Do you let people use your toilet? Maybe family, friends or guests who tent camp next to you and won't have a bathroom of their own. Do you let their kids? How would you say no if they ask? Explain that black tank waste space is limited? Explain how black tanks work and why it's preferred if they use the bathhouse? Joke how it's fine as long as they go number one? These guests of ours aren't RVers and probably don't even know the waste is stored (in a limited quantity no less).

I couldn't find a thread here after a quick search. I'm just wondering whether or not people are cool with this.

2. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    I always take care when dealing with black tanks and just don't think about it.
    Just deal with it and done.

Orchid and rjhammetter like this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Of course, it comes with the territory when owing any trailer with waste tanks. Any of us who have had kids have also changed diapers so speaking only for myself I'd sure rather deal with a black water tank than a dirty diaper! [:(O] Welcome to The Darkside! :tongue:

Orchid, rjhammetter and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There guests right? I think they would expect to use the toilet ! If a randon stranger knocked and asked, um no.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

For me, unless they are staying in my camper, they can use the campground facilities. That's why the campground has them.

rjhammetter and neighbormike like this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Get rid of the clear elbow and you won't see what comes out. .

Econ, Orchid, rjhammetter and 2 others like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I only have a cassette toilet and have a #1 rule only except for emergency or well my mom, can't exactly tell an 80 yo sorry you got to go to the bathhouse. The toilet is only used by family. We don't have guests that visit for long and if they need to go they usually ask where the public bathrooms are.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I dreaded dealing with a black tank when we got our TT, but found it was far less onerous that I feared. We do use a clear connector at the drain end, and Hydroflush at the trailer, which is clear, so yes, I do see what comes out. My biggest issue is really trying to dump solo with small, cranky hands!
    We're usually the only ones using our toilet. A friend went with me on a trip this year, so of course, she used it. (Good thing we had it, since the campground bathroom was a good walk away and she was recovering from foot surgery.) Other friends we camp with have used it on occasion, such as when visiting for the day when we were camped near where they live. Most of the time, we use the campground facilities, but on a long weekend trip, the goal is to have both tanks as near full as possible, because we get a better dump that way. On longer trips, it's all about stretching the capacity.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    rjhammetter likes this.
  9. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

Bathroom in our camper is for our use only. The only time someone else gets to use it if the daughter brings a friend with her for the weekend.

rjhammetter likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The only guests we ever have are grown kids and grandchildren that are camping with us. Even if they were in the next site over, they are welcome to use our bathroom. None of my grown kids will use it. Never have, they say it's weird. ;) Only our grandchildren use it other than me. Even DH won't use it. Everyone would rather walk to the bathhouse.

Now that I have both my knees replaced, I will likely only use the toilet for night times now, and early mornings before I'm fully dressed. I'm so happy to be able to walk without extreme pain, that I enjoy walking as much as possible. The grandchildren, however, think it's fun to use grandma's toilet, so I'm sure it will still need emptied a couple times.

It doesn't bother me to empty it. It's not like I run it through my hands or anything. [LOL][LOL]

For the record, even non family would be more than welcome to use it if they were our guests.

11. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I'm with @Toedtoes, only people sleeping in my camper use my toilet. Mainly because I'm a clean freak and my family all understands about being neat, washing your hands, black tank capacities, etc. Not had someone ask me yet, not sure how I would answer that honestly. But all of our camping companions so far either have their own facilities or use the shower house.

rjhammetter likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't care about the emptying of the black tank, etc.

With the clipper, it's simply a matter of excess use on the camper appliances. At forty-four years old, I have enough things in need of repair in the clipper at any given time. I don't need a bunch of folks adding to the wear and tear.

With the FnR, the bathroom just has a curtain door and it's right next to the trailer door. Not a lot of privacy. Like Orchid's family, I think most folks would feel "weird" using it.

During the day, I often use the campground facilities myself. It's not a hardship to use them. And if a person can't handle a pit or vault toilet, then they are unlikely to be out camping with me as most places I camp are fairly rustic.

If it were an emergency situation, then of course I would let someone use it.

rjhammetter likes this.