Level and stabilize while in the drive way?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jschway, May 12, 2016.

1. jschway

jschway Member

How do you keep your camper stored in the driveway during camping season?

2007 Palimno Yearling 4125
    2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
    2004 Ford Expedition

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I level and stabilize it, and plug the 30 amp plug in, we do use it sometimes for company too then I hook the water up. Staying plugged in keeps the battery charged..

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I back it in the driveway, put chocks under the wheels and there she sits. I don't bother to level it, or put the stabs down unless I know I intend to open it up and do some work or something. Otherwise, she sits road side low and nose low (well, she sits with the hitch 2" above my ball height so I can just back in and hook up). Nothing fancy.

Right now she's up on Lynx because I just did the de-winterizing last weekend.

4. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

If your pup is visible from the street you may also want to hedge your bets against theft: Stabs down, wheels chocked, coupler lock, wheel clock-lock. Parking another vehicle in front being one of the top defences. You can also consider a chain through a wheel or bumper to something solid.

If your worried about your battery and tanks walking away then take them off too.

I've seen too many good people screwed over by thieves. Usually as a result of complacency, forgetfulness, or a lapse in judgement.

5. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

The spot I park mine is close enough to level that I don't do anything special. It's level enough that I can open it up where it sits without issue. It could use a slight lift from the BAL to be 'perfect' but I don't often bother for the few times I have it open to clean or re-stock or mod something. Always stabilize if opening, however. Did a wheelie once in my snowmobile trailer, and won't go thru that experience again. [:(!]

I keep the nose high when its parked and closed, for drainage purposes. I don't ordinarily leave the stabilizers down, mostly for fear of not remembering that they are down and attempting to move the trailer. I end up using my trailer dolly to nose the pup into the parking space, allows my door to face the back yard that way and not open towards the garage wall.

6. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

My spot is level side to side but I leave it nose down for drainage. That way I just have to crank it up to raise the roof. I do leave the trailer plugged in so the battery stays charged. I do have a coupler lock and we usually park a vehicle in front of it to help block it in. When it's in storage the propane tanks are usually empty from the last trip of the season and I bring the battery to put on the trickle charger.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I keep it very close to level in my garage. No stabs, battery disconnected via a switch. In drive stab's and level