Level isn’t level anymore

Jwwiff

Jul 16, 2015
Twin Cities, MN
I had originally leveled the camper and stuck on the exterior bubble levels in a easy-to-see spot for leveling the camper when setting up. On our last trip, I noticed that it just “didn’t seem right” and cranked up the lower side (BAL leveler) a bubble more and it felt better. Also, over the last couple of months it seemed hard to get the door in place (single-piece door - 07 Fleetwood Bayside). Hmmmm

When cleaning it out today, I had the boys (my young men from their perspective....) put a level on the floor and level the that way. The lateral level was out by two marks on the bubble levels on the trailer.... Front to back still looked good. I swung the door down into place and behold, it fit without much effort!

Word to the wise for either winter storage or spring prep, check your stick-on levels to make sure they are still accurate! Your door will thank you and your frustration will level will drop.

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Yup, I had a set on the PUP held on with double sided foam tape. The tape degraded over time and the levels twisted. I eventually went with a type I screwed in place, but never stopped carrying a level either.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My old popup had the levels on the side but discovered the same issue they just didn't seem accurate. I now leave a carpenter leveler in the front trunk of my camper and pull that out all the time. Now It gets knocked around in the trunk all the time, so probably should do something different. There have been times I considered one of those huge levels you can see from the rearview mirror but don't know how accurate they would stay.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
I don't think I've seen a good stick-on level. The 3 on our camper, previous owner installed, are off. Easiest thing to do is to level with a good level, then mark a new center, with a Sharpie.

mrjam2jab

May 29, 2014
I simply lay a flashlight on the roof (both directions) before cranking it up. If the light doesn't roll, it's level enough. [:D]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We use little t-levels on a spot near the coupler, which we know agrees with the long level, and a torpedo one in the fridge. We found we need to check the t-levels for accuracy, having had new ones that were off. The little levels get lost, broken or inaccurate after some time, one reason we don’t use the glue on ones. Seeing dried up husks of them still glued on trailers is another, if nothing else our UV ages plastics.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
We use little t-levels on a spot near the coupler, which we know agrees with the long level, and a torpedo one in the fridge. We found we need to check the t-levels for accuracy, having had new ones that were off. The little levels get lost, broken or inaccurate after some time, one reason we don’t use the glue on ones. Seeing dried up husks of them still glued on trailers is another, if nothing else our UV ages plastics.

All levels should be checked for accuracy even a 4 foot high dollar carpenter level. The goods ones have an adjustment for the bubbles.

CajunMan

Mar 7, 2020
To check a level for accuracy (quick way). Place against the door jamb of your house. Notice where the bubble is. Flip it over. The bubble should be in same place. Do this on the vertical and horizontal jambs.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
I have several 8" levels. We measure on the floor, we can open the door with the camper down. Works great.

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
My PUP had two bubble levels mounted on the exterior when we first got it, those quickly found their way to the round file. I keep a known-accurate 3' level in the trailer to level it out and does so quite well.

joshmoch

Apr 3, 2016
Sarasota, FL
I use stick-on type levels on my PUP, but after leveling with a 4ft. level and adhering the levelers, I drew lines on the pup along the bottom of the levelers with a sharpie. That way, if they twist, I can either readjust or replace.

Happy Camping

Clemens

Nov 2, 2019
FL - Florida
I use stick on levels an that works fine for me. I usually tilt the camper back by about 1-2 degrees and also tilt it towards the driver side by 1-2 degrees so the AC drain water runs off at the same spot.