Level isn’t level anymore

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Jwwiff, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Alan

Alan Active Member

Stick on bubbles are akin to using a torpedo level to plumb a 40' tall steel column!

2. Alan

Alan Active Member

The problem I have found leveling is if you move the level around from place to place it'll read different. I check the side rails, across the tongue and on the floor inside. It's not like they have to be on by a gnat's ass! Close counts in Horse Shoes, hand grenades and leveling a camper.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I use a small level by the refrigerator but the compass app on my Iphone also has a level that is pretty accurate. The measure app also has a level...

4. Alben

Alben New Member

I used stick-on bubble levels once. Discovered they are hugely inaccurate due to they easily move. I use a torpedo level now.

5. Bradford Smith

Bradford Smith New Member Silver Supporting Member

My wife almost always has a diet cola (who knows what kind) in a plastic glass. She puts that on the top, over the door, before we crank it up. When she thinks it's level (by looking at the cola in the glass), it's level. When Mama is happy, everyone is happy.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  6. Allen R Glass

Allen R Glass New Member

I just use a bubble level app on my iphone. Anything less than a degree or so off and I can't tell the difference. And as a long-time tent camper, anytime my head was higher than my feet I was good to go.

7. afidmt

afidmt New Member

Jonkquil -- I had a '95 Coleman Montauk Pop up and have upgraded to a Escape TT due to getting old and poping open was geting to me -- But I digress -- Like the others -- I had a 2 ft carpenter level by the door -- I still use the Anderson Levelers for the side to side - and the Carpenter level worked great for the side to side and front to back -- That being said - when you have someone else to help --

With my Escape - I upgraded to the Levelmate Pro - It is a Great system -- by myself - I can find the most level position before even unhooking - Sitting in the TV - I can see when the side to side is level -- then I ge out and do the front to back - and even set the hitch height for unhooked -- Great system !!

Now if you are a Solo Camper or do not have another helper a majority of the time -- I would say the Levelmate Pro is a good addition, However - If you have others -- I would have to say - yhis is a little overkill for a PUP -- Just my 2 cents

I'm happy now -- but I don't think I would have put it on my PUP previously

AHappy Travels

Alex Z

8. ChiefHart

ChiefHart New Member

That is what I thought was going on for him, that the stick on adhesive has allowed the spirit level to sag. You recommendation would prevent that. Also another said there is nothing better than a 48" level.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Notice how some people don't level much or any. Saw three last week. They drive or pull in, raise the tongue, unhitch, never lower the tongue jack, and drop the stabilizers. Guess they need to be ready to hook up at anytime. They walk uphill going one way and downhill to the back. One guy put blocks under the tow vehicle rear tires to raise the camper front some. It still was not level and he did not disconnect. Class A came in and must have used all his blocks on one side, never leveled front to back.

10. Ed Llorca

Ed Llorca New Member

I was just out this weekend. So far my two eyeballs have not let us down