Level roof issues... Going crazy.

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
4am... Dang props to you!

I thought i was tough getting up at 6am LOL

I have replaced the cables, its not overly difficult, just time consuming, and will require a special tool or 2, to do it right.

As far as the tires go, it should say on the sidewall the psi recommended, if 55psi is the only number on there, then I personally would set it at 55.

Canvas replacement, I will have to do that sometime soon. I removed all the canvas from the camper when I did my reno on it. But the corners of the beds need replacing, and one of the bed end zippers is letting go. My choice I think is a local shop, as I do NOT like sending things out in the mail. ( too many bad exp.)

Have fun at work tomorrow :p And when the camper is down, take some pics and we will get this thing adjusted properly!

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faced said:

I have replaced the cables, its not overly difficult, just time consuming, and will require a special tool or 2, to do it right.

As far as the tires go, it should say on the sidewall the psi recommended, if 55psi is the only number on there, then I personally would set it at 55.

Canvas replacement, I will have to do that sometime soon. I removed all the canvas from the camper when I did my reno on it. But the corners of the beds need replacing, and one of the bed end zippers is letting go. My choice I think is a local shop, as I do NOT like sending things out in the mail. ( too many bad exp.)

Have fun at work tomorrow :p And when the camper is down, take some pics and we will get this thing adjusted properly!

Thanks so much!

You've been an amazing help already :)

Been doing this job since I was 21... And 6 years later I'm still being tortured.
Can't complain too much, good pay and government job.

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faced said:

Faced!!!!

You freaking rock!
I finally had a chance tonight to tighten cables underneath... It seems the one is only a tad off level cause honestly I can't pull so hard with a screwed shoulder!

Anyway.... It is level!! The roof is not on a slant that I think will fall off lol!

ehu7yga4.jpg

mamabean5

Super Active Member
Oct 7, 2009
Amazing how much you can learn by reading the threads here...I now know what a whiffletree is!

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
Awesome job Jenn,

Looks good enough for me :) If you want to level it out even more, put some vice grips on the cable and use it for leverage.

But it looks as it should! No roof is perfect, especially the older campers

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faced said:
Have a great weekend, and enjoy the park. On my way to T-bay my self.

I'm apparently still going crazy.
When I posted the pic of the roof maybe 12 inches lifted.. It was fine.

Now fully up... Out of whack. I don't get it.
ze9e2ary.jpg

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
Looks like possibly the cable slipped.. Those clasp things they use to tighten do not work well on my pup either.

Where abouts in ON you at?

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faced said:
Looks like possibly the cable slipped.. Those clasp things they use to tighten do not work well on my pup either.

Where abouts in ON you at?

I live about 20 minutes north of Newmarket in Keswick on.

When I was cranking everything was fine (setting up in the dark)....
What originally happened was a cable jumped off the pulley.... Ever since then... That one corner has been crap.

It's fine and level low... Get higher and it just goes out of whack.
As you can see... The door is now a PITA.

Getting really frustrated but giving up on my pup isn't an option.

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
it can be fixed. but you will need some tools, possibly new cable. And patience.

I was hoping you were on the west side on Ontario, as id just come show u what I mean, but other side of Superior is not my stomping grounds.

Its just the one corner causing grief? Or is the entire unit looking 'off'

You have options as a temp fix.... Cut a 1x2 or 2x2 piece of wood to put along the lift rail, You will see a tab where it meets the roof (very strong tabs) you can use that.

Or

You will have to level with the roof up, which can be a PITA

Lift roof to desired level, support with boards and jacks, find where the cable meets the lift rod, and shorten from that side.
Keep in mind those ends are normally crimped.

Edit:
Just seen your pictures..
In the first pic, the cables looks loose to me. the one in the front right side.

Faced

Apr 29, 2012
It also looks like it is the only one that has not been 'repaired'
Keep in mind cable will stretch over time, causing things like this. The other cables look newer in the pics i could be wrong, but that needs shortning.

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The one with the two hooks is the one he monkeyed with.
The other three have the original turnbuckle.
That cable also didn't have an original turnbuckle on it.

The one without an original turnbuckle .... Is my problem. That controls right front corner... That's the one that's way off

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faced said:
it can be fixed. but you will need some tools, possibly new cable. And patience.

I was hoping you were on the west side on Ontario, as id just come show u what I mean, but other side of Superior is not my stomping grounds.

Its just the one corner causing grief? Or is the entire unit looking 'off'

You have options as a temp fix.... Cut a 1x2 or 2x2 piece of wood to put along the lift rail, You will see a tab where it meets the roof (very strong tabs) you can use that.

Or

You will have to level with the roof up, which can be a PITA

Lift roof to desired level, support with boards and jacks, find where the cable meets the lift rod, and shorten from that side.
Keep in mind those ends are normally crimped.

Edit:
Just seen your pictures..
In the first pic, the cables looks loose to me. the one in the front right side.

So adjust from where the cable hooks into the rod??
He adjusted the from turnbuckle side... Maybe that's why it's so messed up right now.

CamperJenn

Dec 18, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faced said:
Where is the door clipping at? Just one corner? Or the entire top?

The folds into place..

Has two clips that would swing down and hold the door in place.
Well, Friday night I had to lift the one side of the roof to get the door in, of course the high side just went in but not into place at all.

Faced

Apr 29, 2012

lets make sure we are talkin about the right cable here.
Is the circled one the one that controls the roof where it needs adjusting?