Leveling jacks for 1978 Rockwood R 0806?

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Rich Knack, May 26, 2018.

1. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

The 1978 Rockwood RW-0806 pop-up I just bought only has two leveling jacks, at the rear - and they don't work any more (they appear to be LONG broken, in fact). They don't lock in the "up" or the "down" positions, and they won't ratchet. I want to get some kind of jacks to level and stabilize it, but what to get? It has rather low ground clearance, so I don't think the aluminum "pyramid" shaped screw jacks will fit under the frame. I have seen scissor type jacks originally meant for cars, going for reasonably cheap (under $20 apiece on EBay), and I was wondering if those would work, especially if some sort of pad was put under the base of each jack to keep them from sinking into the ground.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

First, they are for stabilizing only , not for leveling (you can twist, bend, and damage the trailer frame using them to level).
    Use boards, Lynx Levelers, bal leveler or an anderson leveler to raise up the low side tire (for side to side leveling) and front to back leveling use the tongue jack.
    YES you can replace those old swing down stabs with newer crank down ones, or buy some stack jacks at Walmart ir even pick up a couple used scissor jacks from an auto wreckers ..

3. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Thanks! I'm new to the camper thing. I know my dad has a big motorhome with 4 jacks that can be lowered and he uses those for leveling, so I assumed it was the same for a trailer.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I started with a set of 4 Stack Jacks that came with the pup when I bought it. They work. Inexpensive and easy to set up. The downside is that they take up storage and take a while to setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympi...F8&qid=1527435021&sr=8-1&keywords=stack+jacks

I upgraded to BAL screw down light trailer stabilizers before this season. I grabbed them 2 at a time when I found them for under $45/pair from Amazon Warehouse Deals (returns). I paired them with the sand pads I got for around $12/4 also from Warehouse Deals. They are much lower profile than scissor jacks, so no worries about bottoming our and ripping them off. Much quicker and easier to deploy and all I have to store is the crank handle.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-23025-Te...rd_wg=B7aAV&psc=1&refRID=4JQKYWN19XQVX83T0AS6

6. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Okay, I have new stabilizers welded on, identical to the old ones (swing down type). I have heard these can be " jacked up" with a rod to make them more firm, but how do you do that?

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

This should explain everything, good luck!

Rich Knack likes this.
  8. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

Thanks! :)