Leveling the trailer

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by chadster, Jun 28, 2018.

1. chadster

chadster Member

So as previously mentioned this is our first camping season with a pop-up. I camped as a kid all the time. My parents had a small tongue trailer and when I was in my teens they upgraded to a 5th wheel so the whole tent trailer thing has been new. One of the things growing up I always hated was helping dad level the trailer or 5th wheel. Pull forward guess how much wood to put down, back the trailer up only to realize you put to much or not enough. It was a big pain in the keister especially when all we wanted to do was just enjoy camping.

Well fast forward to getting ready to camp. Thankfully on the side of the house we are pretty darn level so no need to do any tweaking there. But I knew once we got into the mountains there I would be with two kids (under 4) itching to get out of the vehicle after the long ride, and my wife and I trying to get the trailer as level as possible before unhitching. I don't remember who but someone posted about these Andersen Levelers

camper-leveler-newjpg20160915050120.jpg

I forked over the $40+ dollars and ordered one. THIS WAS THE BEST PURCHASE EVER! So easy to use. Just identify which side needs to go up and my wife watches the bubble as I back up or pull forward, hollers stop and boom we are level! Well side to side at least. I ended up buying one for my dad for father's day and he didn't fully understand why. I told him give it a go. Well this Friday we leave for a weekend trip with my parents and I am sure he will be a believer after using this thing.

What other awesome gadgets help make set up easier for you?

rich2, myride, Raycfe and 1 other person like this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

While this isnt really anything that speeds up the setup, we have Lynx Levelers. . Use them for all kinds of things.. level a table, use them to make an extra step. Lots of uses..

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

oh gosh, I've used these for everything myself. Occasionally I have to pull it out on massive slopes that the Anderson can't work, put my tongue wheel on it to prevent it from sinking into soft ground, leveling a picnic table, leveling a stool, under stabilizers if camping in sand or mud. Although most of the mud issues is where I park my camper vrs where I camp (usually). Kiddo used it as building blocks when she was a toddler.

4. chadster

chadster Member

Yup I have a bag of lynx levelers also. Definitely come in handy.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Someone once told me that each "line" out of level is a 1 inch block. Once I started following that, I never have to guess anymore. I just put down the right number of blocks , back up and I'm done.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I had to have my wife practice when to tell me to stop ..... for a while she was a little slow on the replies.
    Also another trick it I will mark the ground outside the drives door and watch how much the spot moves as I back up. The spot doesn't move the TV does. LOL

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have 3 or 4 sets + caps and chocks. We don't have lines on our T-level, but with practice, have both learned to judge how many blocks are needed. We are right most of the time, there are those sneaky sites with a dip or rise within a few inches. We may need to back off and readjust maybe once a year.
    BTW, we learned to pull onto the blocks rather than back on - it just seems easy that way.
    We do use them under the stabs on most surfaces, and stack them when necessary so our stabs aren't extended as far - with the style we have, that increases stability. We also use a stack at the tongue jack. It saves a lot of cranking, since we don't have an electric jack.

8. Just1Rick

Just1Rick New Member

It's a bit pricy, but I went with the recommendation on the PopUpPrincess site and picked up the BAL 28050 Light Trailer Tire Leveler. It slips around the wheel and actually lifts the wheel off the ground. I'll let all know how it ends up working for us if you're all interested.

My main interest is that it's also a wheel block, and you can tweak the level anytime before you drop the stabilizers.

Rick

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I had one and loved it on the PUP. But when we went dark it was not heavy enough, I gave it away to a friend, I eventually went back to my old standby for leveling low side, 2X8 blocks, they are fast, cheap and work for me. I have the lynx levelers in my storage area just in case but the wooden boards work for me.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I love the idea of the BAL leveller, but the one complaint/trouble people have is the screw galls or binds. This can be solved easily by using Anti-Seize compound. That silver colored goo. It's fantastic for low speed lubrication of threads. It keeps the metal surfaces from grinding into each other.

11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Got the Andersen level doo-dad, works great, but had slippage on the driveway pavement, so I put some 3M grip tape on the bottom & have a small section of rubber matting for future use; also picked up a carton of the Lynx, will try them too for putting under the stabilizers etc...

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I found some "Lynx" levellers (Not Lynx brand) on sale a couple of years ago. Bought 3 bags of them. I use them for everything. Under the wheels levelling side to side, under stabs, etc. I keep a piece of 2x6 for the tongue. Not sure why really. The jack HAS a foot. It's not like I have to worry about the raw end cutting into the plastic.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Just went to the anderson leveler. After years of using wood blocks, followed with a try of the ball and then 6 + years of plastic blocks. The anderson is great. DW gets it leveled every time centered bubble in less than 30 seconds. she walks to the front of the trailer, reads the level, gets the anderson leveler out and places behind the tire that needs raised, than walks back to the front of the trailer. Watching the level she tell me me to back and then stop. its done.

holding on to the blocks. I need them from time to time for extra reach of the stabilizers.

xxxapache, Rusty2192 and myride like this.
  14. drglinski

drglinski New Member

I took a couple of used 2X4s and cut a 45 on them to make it a ramp on one side; they make excellent levelers. Way cheaper than $40

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

yep 2x4 or 6 work great. Used them for almost 20 years.

16. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Thats what I do too .I made up an assortment of from a shim thickness to a 2x6 . haven't used many pieces yet but we do State parks and so far the pads been very level . When your a poor senior you need to skimp on some things .

17. minus1psi

minus1psi Member

We're new to pop-ups too. We have been reading forums and watching tons of YouTube videos related to most aspects of rv-ing. Before we bought our camper, I saw this video abut leveling an rv. It featured the Anderson leveler mentioned by the OP and also a product called LevelMatePro. The gist of it is that you level your rig as perfectly as you can using any means, install the LevelMatePro and tell the device that it is level. From that point forward, the device communicates with your phone via bluetooth. You figure out which side needs to be raised, put the Anderson leveler in that side, then you can complete the wheel leveling component from inside of your TV by yourself.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

We bought the Anderson leveler but not the LevelMatePro bluetooth gadget (yet). We figure out the side that needs to be raised. My wife watches a bubble level while I inch the TV forward, pulling the pup upward onto the curved surface. When the bubble level is perfect, Anne signals with a wave or a yell and ta-da, we're done. So far, it only takes a few seconds to level the wheels and the result is near perfect. We love it. *Easily* worth the cost to us.

I might get some of lego-style blocks for other purposes, though. They definitely look useful.

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

When I sold my previous popup, I included the BAL leveler. I missed that thing every time I leveled my truck camper. So yeah, when I bought my stinky old NTU popup, another BAL leveler was n the shopping list.

The Anderson looks like it would work well, but I like the chocking action of the BAL very much.

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I havent thought much about it yet as I'm in fixing mode, and never took it out. I figured a few step blocks would do. But what do I know......

20. minus1psi

minus1psi Member

The Anderson also acts as very effective chock.

We almost bought a BAL. It would not be a surprise to learn that you could raise the wheel higher with the BAL. In the end we made a judgement call based on no experience with either. Several people reported the BAL failing after some amount of use and others reported that it was specifically nasty if you had to set up in the mud. The Anderson was reported as easy to clean if it got muddy. For us the thing that ultimately won the tug of war was the potential of combining the Anderson with the LevelMatePro. Another plus was that if we ever end up with a twin axle camper adding a second Anderson would allow both axles to be leveled at the same time.