Lift arm/attachment to roof broken

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Lebowski16, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

Hi,

My husband and I have a new to us 1994 palomino filly. We took it out last weekend and when we were cranking it up, one corner wasn't lifting. We noticed that the bracket/parts holding the telescoping lift rail that attaches to the roof had broken. The rail would still crank up when the we cranked it, but it had separated from the roof in transit (jostling around too much and the clamps to keep the pop up closed are broken-we have since bought ratchet straps to use next go around). A really tall person held and lifted the corner while we finished cranking. The rails that hold up the roof cranked up and down just fine.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this and might have some advice on how we can correct this. 1 other bracket had broken in the past and was fixed (while owned by someone else). We anticipate the other 2 corners could break as well, but I'm hoping by using the ratchet straps when we close it and tow will keep it from moving around too much and snapping due to movement in transit.

2. Rose & Jeff

Rose & Jeff New Member

Hey there! We just bought a 97 Coachmen Clipper, and I think we have a similar problem.
    When we purchased it the camper was open and when the seller was closing it so we could take it home the main cable broke. We decided to venture forward since we got a good deal. We did some research and replaced the cable. However, when we were cranking it open and it was about 2/3 up we heard a pop and one of the telescoping arms hadn't extended so it popped out of the hole. It was then that we saw on all four corners the brackets in the roof that hold the poles had pulled away from the roof. Not knowing how to proceed and the camper partially open we covered it with tarps. A friend told my husband to bolt pieces of wood up in the roof, replace the brackets, check the springs and probably have to replace the telescoping poles. He is working on some sort of scaffolding to act as support for the top of the camper while we try to repair the brackets.
    Have you guys proceeded yet and if so how. Do our problems sound similar? This is our first pop up and we are afraid we have a lemon If you or anyone else out there can help we'd appreciate it!

3. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

Hey there! Yes they do! So what we did was where the lift arm attached the roof we removed the short metal piece that would fit inside the telescoping arm. We replaced it with a giant washer. I will take pictures and show you. My husband did it and i cant remember specifically how it is holding the arm in place. Ill take pictures.