Lift arm letting in water HELP

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Rhconcepts, May 29, 2018.

1. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

camper lift.jpg

So some of you might have seen my rebuild (
    1992 Starcraft starlite Rebuild with pics) I have never taken it camping if I knew rain was coming. This weekend I took a chance and it was not good. The roof and canvas did not leak but water was on the floor in all four corners. Only place water can get in is from the lift arms. My canvas does not wrap around and I do not have metal covers for the arms.

What can I do?
    If you have not seen my rebuild here is a video and the build log in below

2. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I'm not much help since its a Starcraft, but they kind of look like the Coleman lift arms. Coleman used what looked like duct tape on the open area inside the body. And if water came in from the top, it would drain out the bottom of the camper. (hard to explain)

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Most that I have seen or worked on have a canvas flap that goes around the 4 posts it is fastened on one side of the canvas and Velcro on the other side, this in effect seals the posts from water. They are either missing or is behind the four posts. Good Luck and Happy Camping

4. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Thanks but they started doing that on newer models. If anyone has a fix or a mod they did please let me know. I wounder if I bought a new canvas if they would add the covers like the newer one.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Check with someone who does canvas sewing and they should be able to sew the flaps on for you.

6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I have a 2006 Starcraft and it has flaps that are sewn on one side and attach with velcro on the other. Maybe a local shop can come up with something similar?

7. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Kind of weird. Doing a simple google image search, looks like 1992 Starcraft starlite's dont have flaps. 1993 and up do. Wouldn't hurt to put them on though.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

On my Jayco the arms are caulked at the bottom (there is a plastic bushing there) and I have the canvas flaps that wrap around. Not sure if StarCraft has something similar (I know the lift arms are wider and different than mine.