Lift effort on newer pups

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by eoleson1, Mar 29, 2019.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

As you can see from my signature, I've been camping in a 94 starcraft pop up. We are looking to replace it, and I'm thinking about trying to find something with power lift, but I don't know if that should be a deal killer. Can anyone clue me in on the difference in effort lifting the roof on a newer pup compared to something about a quarter century old?

2. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

I just flip a stich and the roof goes to the top. Zero issues with my 2018 model. It was a deal breaker for me to have a power roof.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Lift systems haven't changed in the last 24 years. If anything a newer pup should be easier because the lift system will not be as worn. The major difference would be the weight of the roof itself.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have one on my pup. Don't make it a deal breaker. I think they are over rated. My pup has a 10' box, but may be more of an advantage on a pup with a 12' box.

I like it but it can be very touchy. I found that unless the pup is perfectly level and the stabilizers are not deployed until after the roof is up, it works well. Any variation and the motor struggles. I have already decided that if the motor ever fails, I will replace it with the manual crank. Another worry is that the toggle is available for any curious kid to be tempted to try it out. There is extra maintenance (grease) that you have to do. Not difficult, but just one more thing to worry about.

I had to replace my toggle switch shortly after I bought the pup. Again, not a difficult task. The cost was $10 from Grainger, but the local RV service center wanted $59 for the exact same part.

If the motor fails, the manual bypass will need 2000+ cranks to lift and lower the roof. I keep a cordless drill handy in case of the malfunction to use instead of the hand crank.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Mat Kyne likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I started out with a '94 Stardust 1021... the lift system was much better built and smoother operating than my '14 Jayco. The '94 was also a much better built camper! My advice: before upgrading, make sure it is truly an upgrade!

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

A good nights sleep with no back pain.

7. wusthof

wusthof Active Member

[LOL]
    [LOL][LOL][LOL]

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My current one has a power lift and I haven't tried it with a crank. (I had a manual lift on a '74 Apache which uses an entirely different lift system and it was absolutely effortless--felt like the crank wasn't attached to anything but the roof and walls went up anyway. :p )