Lift Post for a 94 Rockwood XL 1270ss

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Hammockpacker, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Hi all,
    Trying to fix a lift post on my camper that's binding up when I raise the roof. I'm assuming the problem is with the lift post as it's only happening on the one corner of the camper. The lift post doesn't telescope like it should. Instead, all the sections come up at once (the base section of the post comes up out of the camper without extending).

Does anyone have a resource for a quality used lift post that will fit? I've looked online and they appear to be running about $88 new. Hoping to find a resource that will save me a little money. Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think you have a broken lift cable.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Need more info as to trailer manufacture and if possible the lift system type.

If it is a Goshen system, it cannot be the cable. There is only one cable and it pushes up the four springs so so if three are going up, the cable is intact.

If it is the other major system, then it could be a cable (I think).

4. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

No lift cables on my model. The mechanism works off a chain drive with lift springs. I'm thinking the post is bad because it was heavily rusted when I bought the camper. The roof was trashed and it was left to sit out in the rain and snow for about a year before I bought it (bought it for $100). I have since rebuilt the roof and amazingly, there was no rot in the floor or body of the camper. I've worked on the post (removing what rust I can and lubing it well) but I still have to use a hammer to force the other sections down as I turn the crank so the roof will go fully up. Thinking a new post will solve this problem. The roof will go up...just not easily. Mine is the lift system Rockwood used just prior to the Goshen system. Chain drive on both ends with a shaft in-between. Uses the spring lifts.

5. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

So...I think I may have found one online...but I can't be sure about the part number and want to make sure it will fit. Any leads on where I can look up my part number? The one I'm looking at has a part number: 10-L-50.

6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

I found only one diagram with parts and part no on it.
    It showed the lifter posts as "vary" as the part no.
    I would give forest river a call and they may be able to help you. Particularly if you have a VIN or serial no off the trailer.
    Did a search on the part no you have supplied, but could not find it.

7. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Wow, thanks Paul! So, I know the diagram you speak of. I printed it off for my files. I'm pretty sure the 10-L-50 post I spoke of earlier is a Goshen post. I get conflicting info online for that one. One site has it advertised as being 54" long and another 78" long. I measured the side of my trailer and I'm pretty sure it needs to be longer than 25" closed, which is what the 10-L-50 part is advertised as. The closest I've come is with the Canvas Replacements website that has a post advertised for 1993-1997 Rockwood XL trailers (item # PA-FOREL54). They have it for sale for $88. When I saw the Goshen post for sale for half this price I got excited. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. I may just decide to lift my camper up when the weather gets better, pull the post (putting in a support) and see if the one I have can't be overhauled. I guess it's worth a try.

8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Yeah that sounds like an idea. Although I see quite a few people have replaced posts due to stickiness due bending.
    If it is corrosion, then the only real way of cleaning up will be to sand blast and then if the left over material is not to thin in the holes, then get it replated.
    But costs would be above a new post IMHO.
    It needs to work properly everytime or when you do go hundreds of miles out in the boon docks, and it gets stuck up or something, you are going to wish you had replaced it when you could have?
    Al least if you get it out you can measure the whole thing and match the specs against a Goshen post to see if it works.
    Even better yet, I have seen here on the forum that the Goshen people are very knowledgeable. If you rang them with all the info and asked if it is a replacement, for your model, you may get lucky!
    The other side is if that post is a problem, I would be more than likely to pull the others to see if the same problem exists there. And apparently the bearings, gears and chains need regular maintenance on those campers to avoid issues. You would then pull the springs to give them a clean and lube up. (Lots to do, but not enough time)

Edit: Just read post #4 properly and I see you have removed the roof, so may have done some of the maintenance I suggested above!

9. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

So I forgot I posted this thread earlier (made a new post on this recently).

Wondering if any of you might have some insight. Here's what I recently posted:

I need some help troubleshooting the new lift post I recently purchased.

Initially, I investigated the correct lift post to buy through a dealer/parts provider who deals directly with Forrest River. Upon initial investigation with FR, the company told me that I need the following 4 stage lift post: 10-L-54. Well, I got the part, popped up my camper, took out the original post and it's 2 7/8" shorter than the new post I purchased (the original post is 21 1/2" and the New post is 24 3/8"). Due to this, the new post won't seat correctly and screw to the frame (it sticks out of the frame 2 7/8"). I have a theory regarding this, which I have asked of the company I ordered from to verify (they said they had never heard of such a thing)...I have also asked them to investigate to ensure I have the correct lift post...which I have yet to receive a reply after a week. Meanwhile, I can't drop (pack-up) my camper until I have the right post installed) So here's my theory:

Is it possible that this post was made by Forrest River with the specific intent for it to be a "cut to fit" part...applicable to a various range of Rockwood trailer models within in a specific year span? Given the measurements between the two posts...It almost looks as if I could cut 2 7/8" off the bottom of the new post without damaging the internal telescoping posts (completely nested) and still have exactly a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the post base and the bottom of the fully nested rods inside (which is exactly the gap from the bottom of the old post to the nested posts inside).

The deal is that I don't want to go cutting on this bad boy without knowing for sure that this was the intent of Forrest River. If there is another post that is made specifically for my trailer, then I most definitely want that one. Worst case scenario for me is that I cut this post, find out it doesn't work and then lose all my money (as the post will most certainly not be returnable).

If any of you have experience with this sort of thing...please let me know. Confirming this 10-L-54 post will either work or not would be huge. Even better, if it doesn't work: knowing the part number of the actual part I need so I can order it. This being the first Pop-up I've restored, I'm quickly learning that the RV world beats to a completely different drum (than say, the automotive industry) regarding keeping records of parts and making this information easily accessible to the public. It's very clear that the focus of the industry is on selling you a new rig vs. helping you service the one you have.

Thanks Guys!!! Any info will be helpful.

Hammockpacker

10. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Call Goshen Stamping. The girls that answer the phone WILL know what you need. Goshen has THE best customer service, hands down. The 1473 series lift post is square. The 2660 series is rectangle. Both series are three piece telescoping posts.Their number is 574-533-4108. They open 7:30 Monday morning.

11. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Man, this is AWESOME Dusty!!! Mine is a square 4 piece telescoping post. I believe my lift system was just prior to the Goshen system (all the chains, springs and tracks are inside the camper). Hopefully, they will have some information on this one. Thanks!

12. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Well, I went to the Goshen Stamping site, excited that they might have some info to solve my issue. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't sell parts for my system. Though relatively similar in operation, my system is definitely not a Goshen. I can only imagine that my system was manufactured by Forrest River. The only lift posts that I know are available for my type of lift system are a 10-L-50 and a 10-L-54. The 10-L-50 appears to be too small and well, you already know my question about the 10-L-54. We'll see if Hana Trailer ever gets back with me with more info.

13. Berlynda Barnes

Berlynda Barnes New Member

14. Berlynda Barnes

Berlynda Barnes New Member

Hammockpacker you speak of a diagram for your lift system, anyway you could send to me. I recently purchased 1994 Rockwood xl pop up and we have a broken sprocket and chain needing parts number.

15. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Berlyndia,

Here's the site where I downloaded the diagrams: https://www.hannarv.com/rvTrailerQuestions/Pop-Up-Camper-Manuals-and-Instructions

Also, here is their site that shows many of the products for our lift systems for purchase: https://www.hannarv.com/Search

Before you call them, have your vin# and model number handy. Hanna RV will research (double check) the correct part number with Forrest River and then they will get back with you to confirm the price + shipping before you officially order. I talked to a guy named Dave in the parts department and he was great to work with.

Ordering parts for RV's is a much different process than ordering parts for your car. Unfortunately, the power is not in the hands of the people...it's in the hands of the dealers. None of the major RV manufacturers will deal with anyone but a dealer to order parts (almost like the Bible in the church prior to the reformation ;-)...only the priests had access...crazy!). So...the only way to do it is to go through someone that has a dealer license. These guys were pretty good to me though and their prices were way more reasonable than anyone else I investigated. They didn't beat me up too bad on shipping either if I recall correctly.

I Hope this helps. (also, note that your camper likely doesn't have the Goshen system, it has the Forrest River spring/chain driven system. Goshen spring tubes are visible underneath the camper frame. Forrest river spring tubes and drive system are all inside the walls of the camper and accessed through the steps by each bunk end. Unfortunately, they aren't the easiest to work on. These guys seem to have access to most of the parts we need though!

Blessings,

Chris

16. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Just as an update for those that may have been following this thread and wanted to know the latest on what lift post worked for my model camper (93' Rockwood XL 1270ss Hardside Camper). The post I needed was the Forrest River 10-L-54 post. It was about 2-7/8" longer than the original post that came in the camper. I thought I was going to have to cut it down, but it actually fit perfectly. The only issue I had was that the post didn't come with stops installed (small rivets or screws that prevent the post from collapsing in on itself when lowered. If it goes too far down inside itself when lowered, the sections will hang up on the overlapping metal of the posts they nest in and will pull the entire lift post out of its channel. Therefore, I had to install a small metal screw of the perfect length to keep all 4 posts in perfect alignment when closed so it would lift up correctly (Easy fix) Seems to work well now. I'm looking to replace one more post this coming Spring before our next trip. Hope this helps someone!