lift support post tore out of wall

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Sagale, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Sagale

Sagale New Member

1998 Palomino fold a wall

Lift support arm came out of the wall leaving four holes.
    How do I fill the holes so they will support the weight and pressure from the lift post (Goshen lift system) 17493085_10212582428294328_7357261984110125834_o.jpg

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Usually the reason this happens is because of water damage/rot to the sideboard. Water intrusion is very common in this area when the caulking breaks down over time. You may need to replace the sideboard to get the strength required to hold the screws and support the roof. The roofs on pups are fairly heavy.

3. Sagale

Sagale New Member

I should have stated that the problem first happened when i lifted it with the winch but left that corner latched. The original pole and bracket was ruined.
    The holes were stripped/ruined and i *THINK* that they just need to be prepped so I can use them again.

4. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

If you need a fix for a short time, add a piece of aluminum plate to the outside and use nuts/bolts to secure. The wood does need to be replaced, Looks like the screws just pulled through the rot. Good luck!

5. Sagale

Sagale New Member

Thanks. I will start with a quick fix then shore it up as i get time.

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

If the sideboards are not rotted and in good shape then drill the stripped holes to almost the thickness of the board. (don't drill completely through). Cut some dowell the same thickness as the drill bit and glue into place (completely filling the hole). Let the glue dry completely and re-drill the center of the dowell in order to accept the screws from the bracket.

7. 2001dennycoleman

2001dennycoleman Member

The Dowell idea is a good one. Kinda like a hela-coil for metal.

8. Sagale

Sagale New Member

Will try dowels first. Goshen company said also that the post was backwards. Will correct that too. This is a learning experience alright!

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

IF the above things don't work for a fix, there is nothing wrong with bolting through the wall as long as you do a good job waterproofing the external penetrations. The addition of an external or internal plate to help with support if the wood integrity is low.

10. Sagale

Sagale New Member

Dowels didnt work. Will move on to taking inside skin off and looking at the wood.