Lift system care

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by thejohnsons, Jan 24, 2016.

1. thejohnsons

thejohnsons New Member

I store my PUP in my garage when not in use. However, if a long period of time goes by, its very stiff to get the lift system to engage. Last year I snapped the pin in the in the crank insert. This year I went out there, same thing. It's like its seized up. Anyone have this issue or recommendations? It's a 99 coleman santa fe. Thanks!

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Best bet is to pull it apart and clean it, re-lube with recommended grease and try again.

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I second what hay bale said. I lube my lift system yearly, and spray dry lube on easier to reach parts of it more often than that. I have a niagara with electric lift, and it likes a well lubed system. When I had a hand cranked pup, It was hard enough to crank when new. Keep it clean and lubed

4. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I forgot to mention, once a fellow popper was having trouble raising his pup. When he got home he found out the wiffletree compartment was full with a mouse nest. Having forced it the repair bill was high.

5. thejohnsons

thejohnsons New Member

Well crap. Better look up where to lube. Lol. thanks all for the advice. This is our first one so I want to take care of it

6. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

The main point to lube is to remove the cover on your whiffletree, wipe off the old grease, and apply new grease. I don't remember what they recommend, but I believe any type of bearing grease is fine there. It's a low temp application, so you don't have to worry much about it.

Other than that, I believe the manuals on the Colemans stated to sparingly use some dry lube on the pulleys under the camper and in the lift posts. Also make sure you don't have something binding or a cable that has come off the pulleys.

Good luck!

7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

qjeep1982 likes this.
  8. thejohnsons

thejohnsons New Member

The previous owners appear to used to have it set up as an auto lift so I may need to open the case that's around it.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is extremely helpful. I understand the brake cleaner, and silicone spray, but don't know what kind of greace to look for. My manual is currently in my trailer so I can't look at it. Just want to buy everything I need so I can work on it. Also what is the best way to get the old greace off?

I have the 04 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah.

10. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

That's the great thing about this website. With enough people contributing to the content, everything you need is already here without you having to dig out an inaccessible manual. Here's the link:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=3018

I haven't lubed mine yet, but when I talked to the CNW factory they said they just use wheel bearing grease. There are a lot of types, just use whatever you use for your bearing repack. For cleaning off the old stuff wipe it with a rag. If you like you could probably clean even more of it off with brake cleaner, engine degreaser, carb/choke cleaner, or the like. There are dozens of chemicals that can cut through grease and most come in a spray can. I've heard that some people will use the red tacky type grease because it sticks well. Others will use a moly or lithium based grease. Since the compartment isn't exactly sealed against water penetration it might be a good idea to find something labeled as a marine grease. Just coat the screw with it, run the lift up and down a few times, check the coating and maybe apply a little more. Close it up when you're done.

As for the manual for the '04 Fleetwood/Coleman units, it only states that the pulleys should be lubricated very sparingly with silicone spray. The reason here is that you don't want any of it rubbing off onto your tent material. They don't state anything about lubing the whiffletree, but they treat that as a more or less "lubed for life" part as it's neither high speed nor does it get hot enough to mess much up. However I see it as a metal to metal surface that will eventually wear down and you want to remove the metal filings from the grease every now and then.

11. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

My first camper was a learning experience for me. The biggest surprise was when I lubed the wiffle tree. I opened it up and it appeared good. Had grease and wasn't dirty at all. But I had the time and it was my first time so I figured I might as well regrease it. I wiped the old grease and going for the overkill sprayed it with brake cleaner and brushed ALL the grease out of the threads. Applied my favorite grease, which always happens to be whatever grease I put in my grease gun last time. So, long story short the lift difference was amazing. It was about 10% of the previous effort.

So, I will always advise Coleman owners to regularly remove and replace the grease on the wiffle tree no matter what it looks like. It is easy to do and if you only do the wiffle tree grease it would take about 10 minutes.

12. Popup Jeff

Popup Jeff New Member

I learned something today, thanks. I'll be doing some lift system maint. this spring. My Camper is a Starcraft, Any brand specific points I should look for?
    Happy Trails.

13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything mentioned here won't apply to you, because the Coleman/Fleetwood lift system is different than any other brand uses. I believe Starcraft uses the Goshen lift system... All you need to do with that one is grease the two perks on the main tube underneath (one will be below the tube toward the front, and one is above the tube toward the rear, use silicone spray on the lift posts, and possibly add some grease or oil to the spring tubes where they do the 90-degree bend from horizontal to vertical into the lift posts.

14. Popup Jeff

Popup Jeff New Member

Thanks for the info Tfischer,

I'm really glad I asked. Come on Spring time!!! Rgds, and thanks again..........

15. gackendorf

gackendorf New Member

I know this topic has been discussed here for a long time. I just put my Coachman Clipper up for the winter. But in the spring, would like to look into this "whiffletree" maintenance. Any idea if this would be similar to the Coleman? I looked under the camper and not sure what I am looking at and probably more afraid to start messing with it.

Also, where would manuals showing parts be found as was the case with the Coleman video.

Thanks

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Whiffletrees are unique to Coleman/Fleetwood campers, your clipper does not have one.

From the quick google search I did, your Clipper has something that's Goshen-like, but not actually a Goshen lift system. I don't know enough about it to advise further.

17. gackendorf

gackendorf New Member

thanks to tfisher for that info.

maybe need to contact the manufacturer.