Lift System Issue on 2000 Coleman

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by indieiggy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. indieiggy

indieiggy Member

I've been working on getting our NTU pup roadworthy and ran into an unexpected snag. We were putting it down last night after working on it and about halfway through cranking the top down something happened (no noise or anything) and all of a sudden the crank handle got "heavy" and the roof wouldn't stay up unless you were holding the crank handle in place. The roof will still go up and down, but if you let go of the crank handle it would topple down.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened and how I go about fixing it?

Thanks in advance!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Assuming your lift system is otherwise working properly follow the instructions in your owner's manual that will tell you to crank the roof fully up and then slightly over crank it to reset the latching pawl. If this doesn't work for you then there could be any one of a number of mechanical issues with the lift system that could cause it to not work properly.

Iapetus, Sjm9911 and indieiggy like this.
  3. indieiggy

indieiggy Member

Thanks so much! I'll definitely try that.

4. indieiggy

indieiggy Member

This seems to have solved the problem!! I really appreciate your help [Guitar]

Iapetus and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. GreyFox

No worries, glad to hear this worked for you. :grin:

indieiggy likes this.
  6. Purplyn

Purplyn New Member

Help!! I need to problem shoot our issue and resolve in less than 24 hrs or we have to cancel our trip!! This post seems to be exactly the problem we are having now. We are on a time crunch and this happened at the worst time! I have one day to fix this or else we have to cancel our 1st camping test run trip!

We will give the “slightly over cranking” approach a try per GreyFox (thank you!); however, my husband is worried it could make things worse if that’s not the problem. So what is the risk with giving this a try?

1- if we have another problem but try this method of “slightly over cranking”, could it make our original problem worse and cause more damage?

I have also found another poster saying you could also lower the roof and then lower slightly more and perhaps it will click into position.

2- since my husband is worried about making things worse- how can you tell if you have a different issue that could be exacerbated by trying the “slightly over cranking” method? The person who sold is the PUP said to not over crank when opening or closing, which we do not think we did to cause this issue but some of the resolutions to this issue seem to call for “slightly over cranking”. If there is a bigger mechanical problem, what are things to look for to try to figure it out? Can anyone safely say, if it’s a bigger problem, trying the “over cranking” method won’t make things any worse, so therefore, you have nothing to lose to try this first?

4- I have also read to out something heavy on it. Will keep that in mind.

5- can we macgyver it and get wood 2x4 to hold up roof just so we don’t have to cancel trip? Are we crazy to try to do this and therefore, it’s too dangerous to try to hold it up that way? Unless we can find a way to secure the wood pieces without them slipping and causing roof to crash down.

7. GreyFox

Your concerns are much too dramatic. If you don't hear a loud clicking sound when cranking the roof up Page 8 of your owner's manual describes exactly how to lightly over crank the lift system at full extension in order to reset the pawl. The Coleman / Fleetwood system is self braking and doesn't need any further bracing and once the entry door is in place the roof obviously can't fall. Sure, you could DIY some support braces of the correct length but it's totally unnecessary for a properly operating lift system. Over cranking the lift system once the roof has been lowered is totally unnecessary and serves no purpose whatsoever. Once you detect the system has gone slack (which usually occurs when the roof is still sitting a couple inches above the body rail) stop cranking and simply push down on the roof at the four corners so you can close the roof latches.

bols2Dawall and Sjm9911 like this.