Lift System Lubrication

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by TimD, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Bobby Keller

Bobby Keller New Member

Hello, I also needed to lube my camper's lift system as well. I just purchased a 2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD. Campergal, those are referred to Zerk fittings. Yes, they are used to (normally) insert grease or the like into an area. My WDH also has them so I can lube the rotating bar holders. Normally, follow the manufacturer's instructions. Absent those, yes, normally fill until you see it coming out. Others may have specific instructions here. I gave my two zerk fitting about 8-10 squeezes of grease each from my gun.

Campergal40 likes this.
  2. Campergal40

Campergal40 I smell like a campfire!

Bobby-thanks for the reply. I realized that my camper doesn’t have zerk fittings. I had assumed all pop ups had those but apparently it’s only certain brands. There is so much conflicting information out there on what to use for lubricant and what all needs lubed on each camper model. The owners manual for my camper only stated the lift system should be lubricated as part of a regular maintenance schedule but nothing else. The other thing I’m trying to figure out is how to safely get under my camper to get this done. We have a 2000 Coleman Tacoma (it’s a BIG pop up) and most of the older Coleman pups sit pretty low to the ground, including ours. I’m broad shouldered but not a big woman, yet I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis (I’m pretty active and it’s fairly well controlled) so shimmying under my camper is probably not going to work. I do NOT trust using scissor jacks to lift it up a bit. I have a floor Jack but just one. Is it safe to drive a pop up onto vehicle ramps and then leave the pup hooked to the TV, of course, while crawling under it to lube what I have to? So many questions... I appreciate yours or anyone else’s thoughts on this.
    I absolutely hate having to pay someone to do something that shouldn’t be that hard to do!
    Thanks in advance!

Outdoorgal40

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Pull it onto your camper leveling blocks.

4. Campergal40

I don’t use leveling blocks. I use a BAL leveler as needed.The BAL is only used on the low side of the camper to level it so that wouldn’t work.

5. WrkrBee

Got any scrap lumber, brick, etc.?

6. Campergal40

I’d already thought of that but I only have a few small pieces but not enough to lift the camper safely. If you or someone else has any thoughts about doing this with ramps or a couple of floor jacks (I might be able to borrow another one), I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

7. WrkrBee

If you use floor jacks, use jack stands also. Hydraulics and threads can fail rapidly.

Campergal40 likes this.
  8. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

It may not help enough for you, but when getting under mine, I raise or lower the tongue jack to get myself a few extra inches.

Campergal40 and Natureangel like this.
  9. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

6D4F2CE9-0CCA-4739-A8FA-DA363928A48F.jpeg I have used wheel ramps for my Rockwood. It’s a bigger model with slide out, so after I got in position on the ramps I set my parking brake and then placed jackstands under axle for a little extra piece of mind. It wasn’t sitting on stands, they were just there. I do this for maintenance, and also I was annoyed by all the loose wires hanging underneath so I installed wire loom plastic on all wiring. Big improvement!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    WrkrBee likes this.
  10. WrkrBee

I also got some Lowes rubber grommets, cut them at an angle to get them around the wires, and then worked then into the frame holes were the wires pass through.

kgesiako likes this.
  11. Campergal40

Every little bit helps! I think I’m going to just use wood planks too.