Lift system question

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Leslie Loring, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

I hope I’m not having a Goshen lift system/pulley problem! And sorry if this is already answered here but I didn’t have time for a deep search.

I have a 2001 Starcraft. The PUP was open in the driveway last night when I went to raise it a bit to get the door up so I could close it up. While trying to raise the roof, I noticed the red wire indicating when to stop raising it was slack???
    When I went to the drivers side of the PUP, the 2 corner lifts had dropped about 6”. Freaked me out!!
    Thank you to all the people in here who dedicate their time to posting solutions for this type of problem!
    I got my jack and a long 2 x 4 and jacked up one corner until I could slide in the safety post. Then let the jack drop and did the same to these 2nd corner. So glad I bought the safety posts from Goshen!
    Then I raised the roof so it was all equal and moved the door. I detached the safety bars and then SLOWLY lowered the roof. It lowered perfectly.
    I think the camper wasn’t level front to back because I was in a hurry in putting it up.
    But I’m baffled as to what caused this.
    Also, I recently greased the cable and inspected it and didn’t see anything for concern.
    I installed a new Goshen crank 2 years ago and haven’t had issues with it.
    Any ideas as to what caused one side to drop as I was trying to raise the roof?
    I’m going camping in 2 days and hope this doesn’t happen again but will bring the 2 x 4 and jack with me. Planning to raise the roof again a couple feet tonite to see what happens.
    Thanks everyone!

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

The great thing about the Goshen system is that it isn't that complicated. If I had to guess the two corners possibly slipped on the cable. You may want to check their tightness.

Most of the time something like this is due to binding somewhere. You say you greased the cables. I assume you mean you added grease to the two zerks on the lift assembly under the camper or did you just lube the lift arms?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

Thanks Theseus! This particular model doesn’t have zeros. I’ve been all under it to check. I just put the suggested type of grease on the cables. I also lubed the lift arms with silicone. Did those last weekend.
    how do I check for tightness or lack of it on that side?

4. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

I meant Zerks but my stupid phone changed it!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Also, depending on how off level you were it could have binded the posts a bit.

6. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

I truly hope it was that easy! It really was off from front to back and I know better than to do any cranking with that situation. Lesson learned!

7. theseus

8. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

I will look tonite, thanks!!

9. Leslie Loring

Leslie Loring Member

Found the Zerks! You all are the best. Thank you!!!!

10. theseus

Excellent!