Lift winch hard to crank down last couple inches

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by fdmsiv, Mar 26, 2018.

1. fdmsiv

fdmsiv New Member

Putting away the camper following our last trip and as I was cranking the top down it got harder and harder to crank. It is a goshen lift on a 98 Damon Camplite camper with a DBL brake winch.

The winch began to squeak and squeal as I canked the top down, sort of felt like there was gritty sand in the winch mech. It felt like the brake was locking up more and more the lower I went. I could reverse and go back up with no issue or noise. I took a look at the winch but didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I am assuming there is some type of a friction clutch but I am not familiar with this type of winch. Is there anything I can clean or adjust? Any thoughts on what else I should be checking?

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Congrats on your NTU camper.

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

the bunkend beds empty? Nothing on the bed?

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Check the cables they may be twisted.

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Yes it will be in the winch assy somewhere. There is a friction clutch very close to the wind handle, but I suspect that it is the rest of the winch binding which is causing your issues.
    Give it a good lubrication (Unwind the handle completely when down) but avoid the clutch as lubricating that will cause it to slip and allowing the camper to come down inadvertently.
    The goshen system just relies on the weight of the roof to make it come down, So cranking it down does not actually put any pressure on the winch and if the roof was stuck the cable would only get unwound and slack.
    There may be a parts breakdown in the resources section you can download to have a look at what parts are in it to lube and what to avoid.

6. fdmsiv

fdmsiv New Member

I suspect the issue has to do the weight. I rebuilt the roof and during the construction tried to keep the weight down as much as possible, maybe a little too much... Maybe the canvas was a little lumpy and the roof began to get supported on the not so smooth canvas. This would make sense as the roof get lower the load on the winch decreases which then slowly increases the pressure on the clutch and the friction plate engages more and more.

For those with a couple minutes to spare or are interested below is a very well done video explaining how these winches works:

https://youtu.be/Gjo-2k3X6O4