Lifting a 1986 Palomino Shetland

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Brevyn Mettler, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Brevyn Mettler

Brevyn Mettler New Member

I have been trying to navigate the portal but seem to keep going around in circles. Has any lifted a shetland without major frame modification? If so, can you guide me to the thread or provide some insight into aftermarket kits, tire/rim sizes, etc.

2. the-one1

the-one1 Member

Matter of fact I just did that 2 weeks ago.

I did an SOA and will be replacing the small 8" wheels with 12" come summer.

Lots of penetrating lube for the rusted nuts on the U bolts. Had to use an impact gun as they were quite stubborn for being 37 years old. (1982 Shetland). I just bought new spring perches and U bolts from Tractor Supply.

3. Brevyn Mettler

Was it pretty straight forward? I just purchased the from e-trailer. Which 12" rim/tires are you doing?

4. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

It’s pretty straightforward if you can weld, or find a good welding/fab shop. Most trailers that use a leaf sprung axle have a bend in the center of the tube to set the camber for the tires. Thus just rolling the perches to the top usually can’t be done. Getting some lift for rough country really does help. Good luck with yours.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png
    If you have leaf springs and the springs mounted to the underside of the axle. You can add new springs saddles to the top off your axle and mount the springs so the axle is on the bottom. You should keep the axle top just as it is, don't just try to flip it. Most axles will have a"bow" to them and that position has to be kept. Thats way new mounts and needed. And if haves brakes the right side has to stay on the right side etc.
    As suggested Lub everything up, but plan on new Ubolts and the saddles.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

The new saddles must be tac welded to the axle. Braking action will cause the axle to roll, no matter how tight the u-bolts are.

7. the-one1

the-one1 Member

A Shetland doesn't have brakes.

8. Brevyn Mettler

I appreciate all the help. Does anyone know if I will be able to fit a 5.30 X 12?

9. the-one1

the-one1 Member

Mostly likely I'll go with 12" wheels from Northern Tools or etrailer. Not sure on the exact tire brand yet. Visually I think it will fit. But if I buy locally, at least I can return them if they don't fit.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

we paid $100 to get our new perches welded to the axle, no regrets. Got beautiful welding.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Measure the available edge distances to center of axle, and compare to computed outside of your anticipated new wheel purchase. I did, and it did not work out for me to use bigger wheels.