Lighting Furnace on 95 Coleman Hatteras

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by bad1, Oct 18, 2016.

1. bad1

bad1 Member

I am finally using my PUP, and fixing things as I have used it.
    In trying to light my furnace in my 95 Coleman Hatteras I was not successful.
    I have the Attwood furnace that has an auto igniter. I tried to light the furnace this weekend.
    The power switch was in the off position, I turned it on.
    The Breaker does not seem to be tripped.
    There is sufficient Propane flow, because the water heater, and stove work.
    I turned the Thermostat to highest setting, and nothing, not even the fan went on.

The lights work, so i think that the galley switch was depressed.

I remembered there is an on off switch next to the galley switch, didn't touch that, figured it may have something to do with the water pump. I was reading instructions, it said turn on the switch to the left, and the power switch on the furnace is on the right.

1. Is there an on/off switch on the Thermostat? If so where?
    2. The Circuit breaker is in.

I didn't have my multimeter, but will take it next time i set the PUP up.

Thanks in Advanced,
    Ron

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yes there is a switch on the bottom of the thermostat it can be very hard to move. You can remove the cover to see the switch better and the direction it needs to move.

3. bad1

bad1 Member

Hi JNC,
    Thanks for letting me know. We are using the camper again this weekend, and I will check the switch.
    Ron

4. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

My thermostat has an on/off switch on the top. It's not obvious and goes really hard as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

5. bad1

bad1 Member

I found the switch. The fan comes on and nothing else.
    How long should I wait for gas to start flowing, because I just replaced the old regulator, and I am sure there is air in the lines.

The stove took almost 5-10 mins to to light, and the water heater took a few mins before the gas started to flow to the pilot.

My understanding is that this has an ignitor, and I take it the initial flow will be like a pilot light?

Is there a quick way to test the ignitor?

Thanks again,
    Ron

6. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

Try lighting the stove to get air out first. Then flip the heater switch to off and then back on as the heater will stop trying to light after a few failed attempts to light.

7. bad1

bad1 Member

I will try that next,
    Thanks Wayne!

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It will try lighting like 3 times and then stop. Until you turn off the stat and reset it.

You should be able to see through a small glass inspection ho;e. What you should see 10 to 30 seconds after the fan starts is sparking and a pilot light and then the burner lights.

What are you seeing.

Its been a while since I had an issue with a furnace. Here is what my memory has for the steps: steps 1) furnace turned on, 2) stat creates demand and fan turns on, 3) sail switch confirms fan is moving air out the exhust and gas is turn on and sparker is started 4) thermocuplers confirms flame is on - if no flame sensed gas is turned off, at which time you will smell propane blowing out the exhaust vent is control valve is working.

Also, I have see several times a small gas valve on the propane line going to the furnace, check and see if you have one and it's on.

9. bad1

bad1 Member

Finally after purging the air from the system, My furnace works.
    I lit all 3 burners on the stove, then the water heater.

I turned on the furnace, and on the 3rd time running, it got very warm in the camper!

We use a small electric oscillating heater, but if the temp drops below 68, the furnace kicks in.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Ron

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm glad you were able to work it out. Happy Camping!!