Lighting issues

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Brandon1980, May 1, 2020.

1. Brandon1980

Brandon1980 New Member

I just bought a 1996 Coleman Fleetwood Key West. Very nice camper and well taken care of. 1 Issue that I noticed. When parked (not hooked too tow vehicle) and battery hooked up, everything inside works, but also lights up all exterior running lights? Im guessing something is just hooked up/wired wrong but have no idea where to look.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Look to see of you have a switch inside by one of the bunk ends, mine had one on the front. Turn it off.

3. Brandon1980

Brandon1980 New Member

I will look at that this weekend. Thank you

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If your camper has a front compartment, The light in that compartment has a button on top that the lid will hold down. When you open the lid the button will extend and turn on the exterior lights. Its to help you setup in the dark. (but you have to close the lid to open the front bunk. If you lid is closed and the lights are still on. the button isn't being pushed down far enough. The light assy could be falling off but if isn't add a rubber cap to the button to make it push in farther.

5. Brandon1980

Brandon1980 New Member

Thank you for the information. I will check that this weekend when I pull it out

6. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

My wife is camped out about 2 hours from home with a "new to us" 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley. the camper is unconnected from tow vehicle and hooked up to shore power. all of the running lights are on. Wondering if this camper has the same switch? Nothing in the owners manual. Wondering what the switch looks like? you say the switch is on the bunk ends, can you be more specific. Is it on the power panel? if there is a switch, it isn't obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Sjm9911

Mine was on the front wall on the toung side. Black toggle switch.

8. Sjm9911

Yours has a couch there. So maybe or maybe not in the same place.

9. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

was it factory or something after market? we have a sofa along the front wall, wondering if it would be inside one of the cabinets?

10. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

our electrical panel is in the center of the front wall, inside the sofa / bed cabinet.

11. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

unfortunately she doesn't have phone service, or i would have her do a zoom call and provide a video of the front of the camper. although a switch should be pretty obvious...

12. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate. might be a bright night in the campground, think i'm going to have to drive out there tomorrow.

13. Sjm9911

I watched a few videos of your camper i did not see the switch there( mine was factory installed). It may have one hiding somewhere else. IDK.

Del Kelso likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

You might be able to pull the fuse, not much help for the wife and kids though.

15. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

i have seen posts about putting a jumper on the campers 7 pin connector between the charge and marker light pins. this "wiring" has the same result, turns on all exterior running lights. wonder if there is a short in the coupler???

16. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

that sounds likely

we have a 2007 sun valley and there’s no front box or switch to turn on the highway lights

I’d have her search for and pull the fuse to save the battery or it will be dead in the morning

Del Kelso likes this.
  17. Bipolar express

Bipolar express New Member

My 96 Coleman Yukon has a red toggle switch on the front of the sink/fridge cabinet that on/offs the exterior running lights.

18. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

well, my wife called again, the running lights mysteriously went out after several hours, consistent with CampingFamily1's prediction. but this makes me wonder, because with the PUP connected to the campgrounds electric, shouldn't that have run the lights, without draining the battery? (not certain the battery is drained). guess we will find out when she gets home and i can check it out.

lessons learned:
    1. need a few tools in the camper, maybe a cheap voltmeter, wire stripper, electrical connectors, spare bulbs, fuses.
    2. need an isolator switch on the battery...just easier to flip a switch than undo a fastener to disconnect the battery.
    otherwise, sounds like they are having a good trip.

thanks all for the ideas, suggestions and insights, really appreciate it.

Newbie2poppin and campfire Joe like this.
  19. Sjm9911

A battery cut of switch is always a good idea, especially if there is a gap between trips. This will cut out the parasitic draws. I just added one yesterday. Easy enough to do. 20200727_164439.jpg

arge and Del Kelso like this.
  20. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

i haven't seen a switch like that on-line. wondering where you got it?