Lights at night!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sneezer, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The "white" bucket is actually green ..

[​IMG]

Also have a red (looks orange) and a blue (looks ultraviolet) bucket light..

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Long ago, we tent-camped at a small (maybe 10 sites), remote campground during hunting season. Only one other site was occupied, and they had 3 propane lanterns and a huge campfire going until the early hours. No one was outside the TT except to add more wood to the fire.

We still talk about that trip, and usually start out with 'remember those campers who were afraid of the dark?'

3. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

We have also encountered a big TT with the obnoxious LED front end, luckily it was during our evening walk and not the site next door. I enjoy looking at unique lighting other folks come up with, but the LEDs that come on the newer TTs are way too bright. DH isn't much into "tacky lights", multi colored rope lights tucked under the awning valance is about as crazy as we get.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that it gets dark when others camp.

Endless sunlight is my idea of camping. Our record this year was 21.5 hours of sun.

When it starts getting dark before it's time to go to bed, it's time to hang up the PUP for the season.

5. edh

edh Active Member

I treat outdoor lights like noise: both should be turned down when quiet hours start, and just nightlight level when people are sleeping. IMHO nobody should have to shield their eyes from their neighbor's lights.

Toedtoes and Cinbad like this.
  6. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I prefer bright light while working at night for a late dinner etc. but once I'm done with eating or cooking the lanterns get shut off if the sites are close. Or I will dim them down. We had to do that several times this past week. Only ran 2 lanterns once for about an hour. Tried to disturb everyone as little as possible.

Rope lights, Christmas lights etc are very common here. Last summer you could have sworn it was Christmas in the July. I carry enough crap as it is. Can't imagine setting up more crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

This is totally DH and me. We try to be as inconspicuous as possible when camping, and that involves both noise and lights. We ditched our gas Coleman lantern decades ago in the belief that we really didn't need to provide landing lights for airplanes. If we have power, we leave a night light on inside the PUP overnight just so DH can find his way to his pee bottle. Without power, we use a mellow, battery-operated candle. Oblivious campers who think the world (or at least the campground!) revolves around them are my worst nightmare.

8. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

HA! Us lower-48'ers can't do it! I took a TT through your neck of the woods many years ago, and we had blankets and stuff taped up to the inside of the windows so we could sleep!

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We turn off all our outside lights at bed time, but when sitting outside I usually use 2 candle lanterns with citronella mixed in the candles. I also use these when canoe camping, just enough light that you can see by but not bright. I do not have many troubles when camping with the neighbors lights as Fla. state parks usually have a large are wooded area between sites.

retiredmikey likes this.
  10. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We have never owned any tacky lights and honestly can't comprehend the appeal. For us, lights are only used for specific tasks, and then turned off. The only light I want in my campsite comes from the fire pit.

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I have camped and had to ask a neighbor to turn off a side flood light. Had to actually knock on his camper after he was in bed for him to turn it out (WT-!!!). Had other campers who had a spot light trained on their US flag. But apparently aimed it after several beers which resulted in it missing the flag and hitting my pup across the CG in the middle of the desert (#%*+*%#><€£¥). That was fun.......never fail to be in a CG where someone leaves their yellow "porch" light on all night. As someone who worked graveyard for years, I see it all over the cities at night. It is some sort of security measure I guess. A false one but whatever.

I myself feel warm and fuzzy with my LED strip lights under my awning set to the 8-16 colors. They are suttle and subdued and are always turned out at bed time. They remind me of a time as a boy when everyone ran them at their summer cabins (my family had one until I was a young adult) and are to me as campfires are to others.

Burn your lights if you like. Be creative but considerate. Don't blind your neighbors and for goodness sake turn them out when you go to bed. It's simple and easy.

Happy Campin'

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Just got back from a weekend at Purtis Creek SP in TX. Saturday night my son and I took a turn around the camping loop to look at the various night lights that were set up. Nothing as obnoxious/bright as my original post. I saw a lot more trailers that had strung rope light around their campsite. 2 or 3 had close to 200' strung up through the trees and around their camper. Most seemed to keep them on 24-7 as well.

There was one homebuilt/converted utility trailer that had the brightest blue LED light strip I have ever seen on the roof and nose of the trailer.

I just have two outdoor lights - the factory porch light and a clip on ceiling light for under the canopy. Both get turned off when not in use, and we just leave an interior courtesy step well light on at night, but everything else goes off.

We did have one guy walking along the road at about 1130. My son and I had gone out to lean on the side of the car so we could look at the stars. As soon as this guy was up even with us he fires off his monster handheld LED worklight, blinding us and lighting up the entire area. I think he said something along the lines of "now that's a light!" as he continued on his way.

13. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

I often camp with a friend (who is always in another site, thank goodness) who uses many different light sources that illuminate his site to near-daylight. We joke with him and tell him his site can be seen from space! But at 10:00 PM he lowers the lanterns and turns off the awning lights. But before then, it's like being at a night game!

14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This thread makes me glad we often camp without shore power at all lol.

Seriously though, never had too many problems with light pollution even with shore power. If someone had bright lights on after 11pm or midnight I'd probably say something if they were shining through our window. Part of camping to me is enjoying the stars and the dark sky.

Toedtoes and retiredmikey like this.
  15. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I usually have a small single LED nightlight plugged into the outdoor outlet next to the door, as my wife tends to not be able to sleep thru the night without needing to take a walk to the restroom. It's well shrouded by the cover of the outlet itself, and is pretty dim anyway, but does provide enough light to locate the step outside the door.

Have a 6' rope light, white incandescent, (as far as my 'tacky' lights might go) that is mounted along the width of the rear of the trailer, under the bunk end. That is where we usually stow the folding chairs, extra firewood, etc. And those lights sometimes stay on all night, but we will unplug at bedtime if we are close to some other sites. Even those don't spill much light beyond 5-6' from the camper. I have contemplated replacing this with LED, but have been leary of the increase in brightness most LED strips seem to provide.

We have a Coleman lantern that was a hand-me-down from my parents. But I rarely even pack that, it puts out so much more light than we have ever really needed while camping.

Have not really encountered any others that I would consider 'obnoxious' with their lights at any of the campgrounds that we have stayed at.

16. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Lights were one of the areas I needed to adjust to when we stopped backpacking full time. Except on the absolute darkest nights after a little while our eyes adapt well enough to function without any artificial lights.

17. edh

edh Active Member

If the issue is needing to see while heading out to the johns, I wonder why flashlights aren't sufficient and why nightlights are needed? After all, you need to see en route as well. I carry a light with two brightness settings and a choice of red or white light and have been glad I had it more than once (like discovering thepit toilets were unlighted).

For the camper, are there dimmable 12v DC LED string or strip lights? It seems like they would be helpful as nightlights without annoying the neighbors. We have dimmable led strip lights under our cabinets at home and they make great nightlights.

18. idler

idler Member

I have seen many lights that seem very bright to me, and I am fine with it all as long as they go off at bedtime.

I agree with the flashlight idea. I have a Petzl Zipka which I wear on my wrist (it's a headlamp but has a retractable band; it's my dog-poo-seeing light for night walks). That light gets attached to the door latch for night-time walks.

My concern with night-time lights is that IF people turn off their nights at light, I can turn my light to red light and see well with my glasses (usually wear contacts), but if they have lights blaring it messes with my night vision and I have to turn my light on the low white light setting and sometimes on the higher white light setting just to see. I won't ask anyone to change though. It's just a curiosity.

19. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We ran into two things this summer one a TT that had a porch light on the back (street side) of their unit and left it on most of the night. The other was giving kids ( and dumb adults) these new "military" flashlights. I loved playing flashlight tag growing up but we didn't have ones that lit up a campsite half a mile away nor did we go around pointing them at other peoples site just because.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That would be the roadside setup light, known to most with a TT (HTT,5'er or MoHO) as a Scare Light, normally when you turn it on you' scare whatever or who ever is sneaking around that side of the rig... Leaving that light on when your not using it is inconsiderate ...