Lights at night!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sneezer, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Redbird

Redbird Member

I'm a fan of tacky lights and Christmas lights in general (we hang Christmas lights in our screen tent), but we turn them off before we go to bed. Our PUP has a light by the door that we leave on all night in case someone needs to go to the bathhouse in the middle of the night.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I had to back my truck up once on a slight angle and turn on my High intensity LED cargo and backup lamps to make a point, and the point was taken. These are not your normal bright white LED bulbs, they are very intense.

3. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

I have never had this issue, although we tend to stay at least once per year at a very big private campground in Mackinaw (for the Labor Day Bridge Walk at Mill Creek). We do always take a walk in the evening to see the different setups and lights people have on their awnings/PUPs/trailers/site. We started doing this after the big meal we usually have the first night we get up there, and it has persisted since we were in a tent, from the times we rented the on-site cabins when our kids were first born, and now that we have a PUP of our own. Our site is pretty boring, though I will likely string up some rope lights which will be turned off when we turn in. The only time you see a light after everyone has gone to bed is if the last one standing zonked out in front of the fire without dousing it.

4. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

We have worked at several campgrounds in the past. Street lights seem to be the most complained about thing in the campground. Half will say "We camp to get away from the city lights" and the other half will say "You need more street lights, I can't find my way to the bath house." For me, I would just as soon use a flashlight or lantern and enjoy the darkness.

rich2 likes this.
  5. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

We do the same. We have a string of little LED can lights that don't even show up until it is getting fairly dark. They are just bright enough to move under the awning without tripping on stuff but do not light up much more than the area under our awning. The little cans also aim the light towards the ground instead of all around.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have several of those little LED flashlights that Harbor Freight gives away, when we go to the bath I turn on the yellow outside light under the awning and turn it off when we get back. living in Fl. I have never cared much about outside lights as they attract skeeters. When canoe camping I use candle lanterns with the citronella candles this gives a nice glow under the camping tarp and make no noise.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no excuse IMHO for a light that is left on after you're in bed for the night, or otherwise not actively using the outdoor portion of your campsite.

If you need to get up to go to the bathroom, or some other reason, the lights have a handy switch that you can activate to turn them back on (and then off when you're back)

Wrenchgear and JPBar like this.
  8. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

I sure wish that "lights out time" was included along with the standard 10p quiet time in campground rules! It seems that more and more campers are getting into excessively illuminating their campsites, and leaving the lights on all night. The latest trend we have run into is spotlights. At our most recent trip over the weekend the campers next to us had a spotlight at the rear of their site directly facing us that they left on all night. It was a perfect night for leaving Poppy open while sleeping but we had to zip up the windows to keep from being blinded. We're too mature and addicted to creature comforts to do much boondocking, but campground neighbors sure are like a "box of chocolates". So many thoughtless and inconsiderate folks in this world...

9. tfischer

We don't "boondock" (yet anyway) but I have to say the best part of choosing a non-electric site is that you probably won't have all the light pollution since people are conserving their battery power.

PointyCamper and jmkay1 like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I do a lot of dry camping and one of the biggest positives is less light pollution. With the exception to the bathhouse or street lights. A small flashlight or lantern is more than sufficient to see with. I read using my Kindle so don't need any additional light. Walking the dog I use my head lantern but try to keep that aimed just forward of my feet to prevent blinding people. I try to minimize using the light by the door as that just makes it open season for bugs to get inside.

11. TRR

TRR Active Member

Sounds like a perfect use for a slingshot. :rolleyes:

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Had a camping neighbor at Myrtle Beach SP had ground mounted spotlight that shined in our camper and then would get moved and I suspect shined in the other neighbors one night. They were loud and noisy. Couple of guys camping to fish the pier. Next morning when they got up at daybreak and turned on the spotlight, I went and had a talk with them and they decided to leave. Believe another neighbor might have also paid them a visit but 30 minutes later they were packed up and gone.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I can't figure out why folks leave the outside lights on?? I have been known to turn on the porch light when I go out to the bathroom so I can find my way back. But it's the yellow porch light! When I get back I shut it off. Or I grab my flashlight. But it depends how bad I have to go and then no lights at all :rolleyes:

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I accidentally turned on and left on our outside light once on the TT, easy to do since the switch is inside, while the switch was on the amber porch light on the pup.
    The only outside light we leave on in some places is the solar powered string of colored lights in a bottle. It is left tucked under the edge of the TT or right next to the step, set out in the sunshine during the day. Very handy in some places, e.g. at my MIL's, where the door is on the well-shadowed side of the camper, and it often gets dark while we're in the house.

Attached Files:

15. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Last time I was camping at my favorite campground a site about 8 spots down had two clamp on floodlights on all night. They had them mounted at the corners of the site pointed toward their rig with extension cords running out to them. They lit up that entire end of the loop. Just glad they weren't next to me.

16. tfischer

I would have unplugged them if they were bothering me.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I would have unplugged them as well on my way to the bathroom at 1 AM!!! People are just unreal!!

18. Cinbad

Cinbad New Member

Amen! Light pollution is as bad as noise pollution. 10 pm and they're off! My hubby and I camp a lot in late summer and fall. We only have a lantern and the fire.

19. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

When I'm camping I use as little artificial light as possible. Just the campfire and a few tiki torches so I don't trip on the canopy stakes (doubles for keeping the bugs away).

20. rich2

rich2 Active Member

From by tent camping days I found that solar powered landscaping lights worked great to mark guy lines or stake locations that could be a tripping hazard. Low light, not bothersome to other people, but after having people cut thru the site late at night and trip over the guy lines and fall into my tent, well worth the .99 cent cost at Walmart.