Linksys wireless Router for PC Card

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by outdoorxman, Sep 9, 2009.

1. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

A friend of mine is mixes camping with business. They will camp if they are going to trade shows. While away from the home office they need Internet access. I saw a few years ago someone on here added a Linksys wireless router and monster antenna to their PU. The router was designed to accept a wireless PC data card from one of the wireless carriers. I think it was on a Fleetwood E model. I can't seem to find the pictures any more. [?:~{] If you are still around can you re-post with a description?

Thanks.​
    Phil

2. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

If he has a wireless card, are you sure he will need a router? DH has a wireless for his laptop through AT&T, he doesn't use a router.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That would be grcooperjr. I also have a Linksys wireless router and a 3G card. It works great and if I had a booster and antenna it would be even better. I also tried to use a web-cam with it to do a live feed from a rally but I could not get it working correctly. I did have it setup at one rally for others to use as a WiFi but the range on the Linksys wireless router sucks.

4. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Verizon has a new card that will allow you to share with 5 other users. Otherwise if you have a 3 G Card here is a link to the Linksys card.

http://www.beachaudio.com/Linksys/Wrt54g3gv2-St-p-156581.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=wrt54g3gv2-st&utm_content=atr

5. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hi Phil....

Like Steve said......It was me. Here is a link to what we have. Verizons new card does the same but the brodcast range is linted and only 5 users can connect,

What I have works really well. I also brodcast the wifi connection to the campground. It has a range of around 3000 ft or so but it depends on the laptop antenna.

This setup works way better than the Sat system we use to rent and way faster speeds.

Hope it helps....

6. outdoorxman

Ray, I was wondering if it was you but I didn't want to name names if I was wrong. Thanks for the link. I will forward it on! I have the Verizon PC card and it works for me but they tend to stay in NP CGs. They are usually more remote. Yes, we have those in Missouri! lol

One of the great things about this site is the friendliness and helpful attitude that everyone gives. Thanks again to all that replied.

Phil

7. turtle

turtle New Member

I also must keep in touch with work issues 24/7. I use a Sprint air card and have always been able to connect. At times only 10% signal and very slow but does what I need. I still consider camping getting away as I'm not bothered unless absolutly necessary which is different from my non camping schedule.

8. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hi again Phil.....

The main reason I did what I did was:

1. we needed a way to connect in remote areas. Cells don't normally work well. The antenna and amp solved that issue.

2. needed to be able to connect a large group of campers to the web for there needs. If there just checking mail and keep file size small the speed works GREAT.

If your only connecting one PC, the router really is not needed. It is nice to have a hardware firewall device but it adds a $200 or so expense.

9. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

one thing to remember is that most carriers have moved away from the PC card connections and are using USB based setups.... but my experience as a computer tech is that USB based internet connections are buggy at best and refuse to work at the worst...

as for routers, here are a few:

http://www.buy.com/prod/linksys-wrt54g3gv2-st-wireless-g-router-for-mobile-broadband/q/loc/101/209246437.html

http://www.beachaudio.com/Dlink/Dir-451-p-116263.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=dir-451&utm_content=atr

http://www.beachaudio.com/Dlink/Dir450-p-88460.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=dir450&utm_content=atr

and with the standard antenna connector on the Linksys (DLink usually has fixed antennas)... it should be easy enough to put a larger antenna on top for a shared connection.

10. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

What do you think of this set up?

Wilson Wireless Amplifier "Booster" #801213 W/Cradle Kit

RV / Trucker Spring-Mount Cellular Antenna (301133)

MiFi #2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot

The Mifi unit slides into the Wilson Cradle and now you have wireless Wi-Fi,
    the MiFi has a 30ft. range and simultaneously allowing up to five computers
    or personal devices to be connected.

11. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

looks like it would work....

12. You-And-I

grcooperjr,

We are trying to figure out how to make this work, we can bolt the Wilson Antenna on top of our Jeep rack. Do you think our CB antenna would interfere with the Cell/Internet antenna reception? We also have a radio amplifier under the drivers seat, I can mount the Cell/Internet amplifier under the passenger seat or under the dash to keep it away from the other amp. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Phil (Outdoorxman), for starting this thread.

Alan

13. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Hi Alan....

as long as you got a little distance between antennas you should be ok. I don't think the pattern will be afected by a whole lot. The bigest difference in reception is height. In most of my remote locations the difference between ground level and 25 ft is a bunch. As a result the bandwidth avilable goes up with the signal level.

Another side benny of what your doing is it will also help a normal cell if needed.

14. outdoorxman

Hey Alan, I was asking for you and I'm glad you were watching this post! I agree with Screwball, USB devices are flaky! I have had my share as well being an IT Manager and having to support all kinds.

Looks like you've done your research. I bet that Jeep will look like a giant bug when complete. LOL Will Chris be happy with it? As long as she has a connection! See ya this weekend.

Phil

15. You-And-I

grcooperjr,

Thank you for all your help, I'll post some pics after I get everything installed.

Alan

16. You-And-I

Outdoorxman,

Thanks for your help on the cell Amp post. We are looking forward to seeing You & Tammy and your new camper. "Congrats"

Happy Birthday Tammy!

Alan

17. Kevin 11-RT

Kevin 11-RT New Member

I am somewhat a computer geek and I can tell you a router is NEEDED. It offers a layer of security the software firewalls cannot. It will hide connected computers from other computer (with bad dudes working on them).

Routers are cheap, please do not use your networked (wireless or wired) computer without a router. While they will not stop everything you computer is much better protected than without.

I hope this helps.

Kevin