list of low pressure stoves

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by lucky13don, Mar 2, 2017.

1. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

has anyone got a clue on what would work on a jayco low pressure connection on the outside of pup?I'm going thru old posts and I'm getting crosseyed..any help is greatly appreciated.

2. John61CT

John61CT New Member

Olympian 5100 & 5500.

Some grills like the Weber "Q" series can be used if the regulator is removed and replaced with a quick disconnect hose.

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I've been searching this same issue (and I have a thread on it if you want to search by my username). My best luck so far was to search specifically for "low pressure" stove at the various places I shop (Amazon, E-bay, etc). Even if you don't want to buy there, you'll find out what stoves are low pressure and would work for you. Lately, I've been eyeing the Koblens PFK-200, mostly because of the price. There's also a four burner version; just search Amazon for Koblenz stove. If you'd prefer a standing stove, King Cooker and Gas One have a couple of options, but they get pricey pretty quickly.

Paul R likes this.
  4. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

I avoided the entire low pressure stove situation by purchasing a "propane tree" that fits one of the propane tanks on the hitch. I can mount a propane Coleman lantern on the top outlet, my Weber Q grill on one and my CampChef propane oven on the other. Stove, oven, grill and lantern all running off one attactment to the tank. With a tent camper you probably would have to remove the propane tank for this system to work. [ALPU] [PUT]

5. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I haven't seen an exhaustive list. I can only speak for my own experience.

I only have experience with a small selection of Coleman stoves and the Camp Chef Oven (COVEN model). I also have Camp Chef's Compact Fire Ring.

The Coleman stoves that I've used have been high pressure only. From my understanding almost all of their models are high pressure only.

The two Camp Chef items I mentioned earlier are low pressure models. I know this because before I got the oven I contacted the manufacturer through email and they confirmed that if I purchased the oven, the RV connection hose and another adapter I could connect it to my camper. Since I had no intention of ever using the regulator that came with the oven, I removed a piece from it and took the RV connection hose to the hardware store to get some fittings to connect the two together. The whole setup works great on the side port of the camper. As for the fire ring, I haven't contacted the manufacturer on this one, but it is clearly listed in the manual what the pressure regulator is set to.

Camp Chef lists on their page for the RV connection hose that it's meant to work with their items excluding the "Mountain Series". I'd say that would be a fairly good starting point.

6. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I have a camp chef explorer connected to my outside quick connect where the RVQ goes. Bought an extension hose from amazon (camp chef brand) to move it away from the camper.

7. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

thanks everyone.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a Coleman Road Trip grill that I adapted to run off the low pressure quick connect on my Jayco. I bought a 2nd regulator for it, and pulled the regulator off so all I had left was the connector and tube. Since I did not use the inside/outside stove I cut off the hose, then double pipe clamped it to the spare connector. Now I can hook up to the low pressure, or use a green bottle when needed by simply swapping the connector.

I also have a Weber Q which can be adapted to run off low pressure. However I use it for scout trips as well when I am cooking, so I keep it running off the high pressure for now.

I also bought a tee for the front bulk tanks, and then a 2nd one to go on top. This way I am plumbed into the high pressure before it goes to the camper manifold on one bottle. I run two extension hoses off the 2nd tee to power my Q and my 3-burner Coleman when I need it. So far this system has worked well for me. Depending on the length of stay and how many people I am coking for determines what cooking gear I bring.

9. Paul R

Paul R Member

I just ordered the Koblenz 4-Burner Gas Stove from walmart. (I can always take it back if I hate it (re: my wife hates it). Now - any idea how to connect it to the quick connect from the camper? I don't even know what size the quick connect is, 3/8 I think, or what kind of fitting the stove comes with.

10. Paul R

Paul R Member

I just orderd the Koblenz 4 burner from wal-mart, easy return if it's no good. Any idea on how to connect it to the quick connect yet....?

11. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Without seeing it, I'm just guessing, but I would look at the first item on this page; the 100395 combo. That should give you the model 250 quick connect on one end and a 3/8 flare on the other (which is what I think you need). But if I were doing this, I'd wait to see what fitting the stove has before I ordered anything.

12. Paul R

Paul R Member

The stove came today and it has a 3/8 fitting on it. I bought something today at ace but the quick connect is a 3/8 and was too big for the female end on the PUP. So now I know that the camper end is 1/4 so this should work. Thank you.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Tossing this out there for those who may not know.. but these quick disconnects are not the same as you would use for an air compressor ...

bob barnes and BelchFire like this.
  14. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Just an FYI...pipe clamps or hose clamps are not acceptable on pressurized propane systems as they are prone to loosen and leak creating an explosive situation. All pun intended. Only threaded or flair fittings are acceptable and threaded need pipe dope or gas approved thread tape.

15. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I just got a Smad gas refrigerator it has weird connectors I took it too a guy who knows by the way it also came with a hose clamp. He said since its low pressure you can use a hose clamp I did it but I used 2.

16. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

High or Low pressure, doesnt matter, they are still prone to leak and unsafe. Is the cost difference between a hose clamp and a flare or threaded fitting worth the damage done or someones life??

17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I would disagree. They even sell kits to connect grills that includes a regulator, hose and pipe clamps. I think as long as you use the correct barbed fitting and hose on a low pressure system it is perfectly fine. No good for high pressure of course but the industry is on record for this type of use.

bob barnes likes this.
  18. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The Camp Chef RV connection hose works with my Jayco.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

there are several sizes of propane disconnects out there: Mr Heater has one which is larger than most popup quick disconnects. It for more gas flow. I found the smaller ones n amazom and also bought one at the local RV shop.

No the air compressor connectors don't work. Tried it.

20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Before i cut the end off my line to hook to the barbed fitting i checked with a pro about this. He was about 70 years old and has dealt with this stuff all his life!!