Lite Cylinder Emergency Recall Order

coverus

castra magna est
Aug 23, 2011
California
On May 24, 2013, The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration issued Emergency Order Number 2013-002 mandating a recall of all cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc. (Lite Cylinder), Franklin, Tennessee, and marked as authorized under DOT-SP 14562 (and DOT-SP-13957 as authorized therein), DOT-SP 13105; any cylinder requalified under H706, and any cylinders manufactured under M5729. This recall order also applies to any person who is in possession of an affected packaging that is subject to this order.

The emergency order is based on an investigation of Lite Cylinder's operations and production history that revealed probable violations and unsafe conditions and practices that PHMSA determined present an imminent hazard to the public safety. In effect, this action immediately orders the removal from service of more than 55,000 two-piece fully wrapped fiber composite cylinders. These cylinders are largely in liquefied petroleum gas service.

PHMSA also terminated the above special permits and approvals for cylinder requalification, and manufacturer's Registration Numbers.

To effectively comply with this recall, cylinder owners must:

1. Take proper safeguards in identifying and handling the affected cylinders identified in this order.

2. Cease use of all specified cylinders until notified of DOT response to Petition for Review.

3. Arrange to have all propane gas removed from cylinder. This should only be done by qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal regulations. (Note: All propane dispensing agents should meet this criteria.) This person must discharge all gas, purge, and remove the valve per the recall.

Please be advised that The Lite Cylinder Company is no longer in business and is currently evaluating its legal options. The company's facility is now closed and unable to receive cylinders returned per the instructions detailed in US DOT – PHMSA Emergency Order No. 2013-002. Furthermore, the company is financially insolvent and will not be able to recompense cylinder owners, dealers and distributors for the expenses incurred in complying with this Emergency Recall Order.

If you have any questions concerning the Emergency Recall Order you should contact John Heneghan, Regional Director, at (404) 832-1140, [email protected], or Aaron Mitchell, Director Field Services Support, at (202) 366-4455, [email protected]

Starcraft Away

Super Active Member
Feb 10, 2012
I don't own one of these tanks, but the way the article reads the company intentionally
Chose profit over safety. Why else would you choose to partake in " unsafe practices"

Reading this type of story makes me sick and angry, I hope no one ever gets hurt because of this.

[V]

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Cylinders manufactured by Lite Cylinder with any of the following markings are subject to this recall:
  • DOT-SP 14562
  • DOT-SP-13957
  • DOT-SP 13105 (Only if manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company. Cylinders manufactured by Composite
  • Scandinavia [M0408] and marked with this number are not subject to the recall)
  • Any cylinder requalified under requalification approval H706
  • Any cylinder manufactured under M5729

Recalled%20Cylinder%20fr%20Lite%20Cylinder_Label.jpg

Source: U.S. Department of Transportation - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration

Hank Hill

Jun 13, 2007
Sweet Jesus! You cant just pick and choose which laws to follow. Sure Id like to tape a baseball game without the express written consent of major league baseball, but thats just not the way it works. Hope they straighten this out toot sweet. [}:)]

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
So, I wonder if the Composite Scandinavia ones are available in the states. Not to sound dumb, but are they made in Scandinavia?? Just curious.

The repair guy who has my pup now has several of these. He's at Douthat this weekend, so if y'all hear a BOOM up that way, it might be him! EEP!!

Wow...this really sucks as we were prepared to buy two of these when we get the pup back. [V]

THANKS for the news coverus & Steve!!

[:D]

update: I Googled and so far, can't find a distributor in the US for the Scandinavian models. If anyone comes across one, let us know please!!

Misc99

Super Active Member
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. I don't have one, but I do appreciate you letting us all know.

Sushidog

Jan 8, 2008
New Orleans
Does anyone know what the design flaw was? Does it leak, is it subject to a catastrophic failure, or didn't they not kick back enough money to our approval authorities? I would not readily suggest the latter if not for the European composite tanks not being recalled. Are our safety standards higher than Europe, or are their regulatory authorities less expensive than ours? Sorry if I'm a fly in the ointment, but if the shoe fits...

Chip

camper2009

May 29, 2012
thanks for the heads up.. don't have one and not sure if they are even available in Canada. never ever saw one here
G

cowboynate

Mar 29, 2013
Sushidog said:
Does anyone know what the design flaw was? Does it leak, is it subject to a catastrophic failure, or didn't they not kick back enough money to our approval authorities? I would not readily suggest the latter if not for the European composite tanks not being recalled. Are our safety standards higher than Europe, or are their regulatory authorities less expensive than ours? Sorry if I'm a fly in the ointment, but if the shoe fits...

Chip
Do *your* regulatory authorities work that way? Cuz mine don't.
Not sure I want to travel to that part of the country.

mcbrew

Super Active Member
May 22, 2013
Perfect timing. Just bought the new pup, which came with a shiny new filled steel tank. Since I had the Lite composite tank, I have the full one to my brother as part of his housewarming gift (a new gas grill). Now the Lite tank is on my new pup, and is the only one I've got. I like the lighter weight, visible fill level, and rust-free design. I'll use it until its empty, then figure out something to do with it. I guess it'll be back to steel, unless I can find another brand of composite.

turborich

Super Active Member
Jun 22, 2010
Las Vegas, NV.
This is exactly why I never purchased one of these overpriced LP tanks. If you have a steel tank that has been around for years without issues then why change it. [2C]

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
Because they are really nice and light!
If I remember correctly, the U.S. made ones falsified some documents so they would pass testing.

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
You know, being disabled, I would still buy one or two of the good ones when money is there. Would help me on those cold nights when I'm worrying if I'll run out of gas before morning.

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2