Little Paint Creek Yellow River State Forest

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by EK41, Jul 20, 2014.

1. EK41

EK41 Member

Located in the NE corner of the state near Harpers Ferry and Effigy Mounds National Monument. This is a primitive campground with no hookups and only vault toilets. The CG is long and narrow. The first part has trees that provide shade but is open. A very shallow water crossing puts you into the second area that has a couple of sites along the creek. After a second shallow water crossing you enter the third area. This is where I stayed. There are some very large sites where two sites share an entrance off the road. I have never seen a set up like this but the sites are large so not a disadvantage, in fact if you are with other people it would be nice to have both sites. There are no pads, just a nice grassy area so you can position your pup any way in the site you wish. At the end of the campground there are some sites that are extremely close together and also several that sit right along the stream so you can fish from your camp site. The attractions here are the trout streams both in the cg and within the forest. There are over 20 miles of hiking trails. Effigy Mounds is about 15 miles away and worth the trip. There is a boat launch in Harpers Ferry to access the Mississippi River. The only negative for this place is that the only water is located about 3 miles away at the information kiosk. Big Paint Creek CG is near the kiosk and is smaller with all sites in the open. Cost is $9 a night, I stayed for four night and really enjoyed it.

2. EK41

EK41 Member

[​IMG]

Here is my site.

3. sswon1

sswon1 New Member

I know this post is a bit old but hopefully you will see this. Effigy mounds is defiantly on my hit list for this year. We have upgraded to a MH, will the spaces accodimate a 30 ft?

4. EK41

EK41 Member

Most of the sites are very large and will easily fit a MH. The sites are larger and spaced farther apart than any other Iowa State Park that I have been to. There are no pads you just park on the grass so you have the whole site to select where to set up. Keep in mind that Yellow River does not have hook ups or shower facilities so if those are important to you, you may want to consider other places. Pikes Peak SP is close by, it has some great views of the Mississippi and Wisconsin rivers. Wyalusing SP is directly across the river from Pikes Peak. There is also an ACOE campground by Desoto Wis. Not sure about county parks in the area but can check mycountyparks.com to see. Allamakee and Clayton counties are in area of Effigy Mounds.