Live music as compaired to radio

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mred, Jan 20, 2012.

1. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

One of my Favorite things to do when camping is play music. Do you look at people around a campfire with instruments differently than someone listening to the radio?

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

For me, if it can be heard outside of the site and it is after quiet hours, it is too loud.

No offense, but most people are nowhere near as good of a musician as they think they are.

3. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

I like to take my little Washburn Traveler, a pint size acoustic guitar. I play softly, without a pick, just fingers, and don't project my music onto anyone outside my little area. If I sing, it's soft and whispered. Everyone at a campground is trying to create their perfect camping experience within a 3-500 square foot space, and each space touches the next space and there are no walls... apartment living and someone took down all the separating walls... think about that one. The person camped next to me might hate guitars, so I keep it almost inaudible. The issue is not the amount of talent the player has... the issue is that if you play loud and force your music onto your camping neighbor, there's a high probability that your neighbor is going to label you a hack, and your music immediately rolls over to the category of noise. Les Paul and Django Reinhardt would be turned in and booked for noise pollution and offending somebody. Playing your instrument while camping is a quiet, private thing for you and maybe a couple of family members and shouldn't be forced by loudness because you're not there to entertain the campgound. Any instrument can be played softly with humility and restraint. I'm not so sure about bagpipes, though. Ya might want to leave those bad boys at home.

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

As long as I can't hear you at all in my neighboring campsite, I have no problem with your music. But I'd rather listen to the sound of the wind in the trees as opposed to your personal rendition of "We will rock you." If your music escapes your campsite boundaries, it's too loud.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I suppose it would all depend on the instrument you play and not so much on how well you play it. For instance, I play drums and DW plays the bagpipes. Yeah - our neighbors LOVE us... [:D]

...and no - we don't take our instruments camping with us...

6. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I've heard acoustic instruments with some singing in the evening and I enjoyed it.
    I have heard radios playing loudly and I do not like that.

Seems to me that the singers/musicians are more considerate and play at low levels.
    Maybe people that play the radio a bit too loud are showing off or need some attention...

The singing/playing usually doesn't last long while the radio just goes on and on.

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I've made it a habit of finding a good song, setting a volume I think will work for my neighbors, and then I walk outside. I listen at the slide out window, then I walk about half way between me and the nearest neighbor and so far, I've not been able to hear it that far....so I think I'm good! But I check EVERY time! [;)]

I'm also a music(ian)....I'm still learning....and I pick the banjo. ANYONE READY TO CAMP!?!?[8D] Yeah, I know, the rest of you are going [:(O]. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

First thing I learned were the many ways to mute a banjo. Any married adult who takes this instrument up will, without a doubt, drive their spouses/SOs out of their mind. [?:~{] The first month was fine...I had a nice hobby. Good, good people around here to jam with and they're all good teachers. But I digress....month 2 brought me success, but my DH was losing it rapidly....month 3, JUST when that song is coming together AND you're picking up some speed, DH burst into the room and vented, "WILL YOU PLAY THAT DAMN SONG THROUGH JUST ONE TIME PLEASE??" And there was a L-O-T of sarcasm involved. But he still loves me and I'm still learning. And he was finally ale to get it OUT of his head! [LOL]

I'd bet if I brought my banjo camping, no one would even know I was in there practicing. Yes, I know, you're welcome. [LOL] [LOL]
    [:D]

8. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

I don't mind music being played, radio or instrument, as long as it is not too loud or after quiet hours. Actually don't care if it is after hours as long as I am not trying to sleep, lol. We are night owls and try to be as quiet as possible. Wish those that wake up early would show the same respect, but that isn't for this thread.

I do find it funny that there are some people that complain about radios being played but say they bring a guitar (or other instrument) with them when they camp. Sounds infringing on others is sound no matter what makes the noise. Just because it is being played on an instrument, doesn't mean anyone else wants to hear it.

9. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I don't care if it's live or Memorex or what it is as long it is not LOUD or the person play the instrument has some talent in playing it.

10. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Generally, usually, most often, the radio is playing a type of music that I truly despise - I shall not name it.

As I wrote, the performers tend to tend to play at lower levels and for shorter lengths of time. If I don't care for the type of music at least it won't last long.

11. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

I would love to have live music at the camp fire. I just do not know any one that talented...

FL Bill

12. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

If your name is, say, Eric Clapton, or Joe Walsh, get right on it. If not, leave the instruments at home, or enjoy them away from the campground.
    MR

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Too bad Dusty I love the pipes and drums ! I would sign up to camp right next to you :)

MR ...if I you ran into Joe Walsh at a CG it would most likely be destroyed...don't you remember "Lifes been good" ? and while Clapton and Walsh are definitely talented musicians I have several friends that are just as talented but you've never heard of them and chances are you never will (cuz you don't want them to bring their instruments to the cg) so here you go I'll share one with you...

Mark Conway, Amazing Grace Jam

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The norm at music festivals once the stage goes quiet.
    No one had a campfire at this small event so I fired up my campfire and this guy and another couple dropped by to pick awhile.

[​IMG]

15. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Ok, let me qualify that by saying that we don't take our instruments with us when we go camping. We certainly take them with us when we camp at a highland games or gathering. We're not the only ones, of course. I think I said in another thread that the festivities out in the RV area after the games close for the evening are sometimes more entertaining than the games themselves. You get 20 (or more) pipers and 20 (or more) drummers together for an informal jam session, and you're gonna have some fun. Especially when they've been lubricating themselves with Guinness or Bass Ale... [:D]

As far as being in the next campsite is concerned, you wouldn't need to be. Bagpipes are even louder than drums, if you can believe that - 110 decibels at the mouth of the chanter, in fact (and no, they can't be played any quieter.) By comparison, that's the same as a car horn measured at the opening of the mouth. On a calm day, you can hear them 5 miles away. Trust me when I say that the whole campground would hear them.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

WOW Dusty! I, too, would love to camp near y'all at a music event! :) Before the PUP, I was tent camping at music festivals. And you're right....the festival satisfies my ears....the post show jam at the campground, is to die for, where I go. Never do you see that many amateur (nor professional) musicians at one time and EVERYONE is welcome to hop right in, and DAYUM....I'd put half or more of them on any stage, any where. [A]

My best friend here plays banjo, guitar, and we're both messing with a uke. Every party they hold, everyone knows music is going to happen. It's especially special when the young kids run up to the stage to sing. (yes, he built a 20x20 stage on the first plateau of a hill, complete with railings, to keep the old timers from falling off!) :) :)

And yes, we've had groups at campgrounds jamming pre-quiet hour and frankly, it seemed like 90% of the other campers carried chairs over and were listening and hollering out requests.

But for those who do NOT like music at the camp, DO be aware if there is a music festival near by, you're going to inherit some of those folks and their jamming (pre-quiet time).

[:D]

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't care what the source of the sound is. During quiet hours no one should be able to hear anything coming from your campsite if they are outside its boundaries.

18. electronflux

electronflux Member

this thread is why i prefer boondocking. no one for miles to hear the noise i make or hear sound others make.

19. Buffalo

Buffalo New Member

2nd all of the above. I love my little Washburn Rover and don't play it loud or during quiet hours. Camping usually provides a rare opportunity to get in some good guitar playing time. The key is to just be considerate of others around you no matter what your doing (Music, Chopping wood,Yelling at your dog/kids/fill in the blank, etc....). Unfortunately a lot of people just have bad manners or just don't care.

20. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

this thread has seemed to hit a nerve. Seems to me that, just like getting a bid for work done at home, Take the top, the bottom, throw them away and pic one in the middle. If that's the case, it seems that as long as its low volume and before quite hours its all good.