Live music as compaired to radio

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mred, Jan 20, 2012.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Re: Re: Live music as compaired to radio

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

I'm with Twisty on this "I've heard acoustic instruments with some singing in the evening and I enjoyed it.
    I have heard radios playing loudly and I do not like that.

Seems to me that the singers/musicians are more considerate and play at low levels.
    Maybe people that play the radio a bit too loud are showing off or need some attention...

The singing/playing usually doesn't last long while the radio just goes on and on."

i don't mind hearing someone who can play. i might even sit by my fire and sing along..... :)

but as several others have said, a loud radio playing horrible music will get reported to the CG Host quick! and if it's after hours i'll probably just come over myself and remind you of the rules

3. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Let me get this straight. If you hear an instrument being played at a campground you're at, the music must be pleasing to your ear by meeting your minimum musical talent requirements? Would the player qualify for your mercy if he could play Funk#49 or Cocaine in the right key and use the right positions?

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ditto! I rather enjoy not having to worry about neighbors....either what they're doing or worrying about what I'm doing. I've been known to do both....listen to music on the satelite (particularly when we're cooking) or pick around on my guitar to pass time. That said, even though we don't have neighbors, we keep things to a reasonable volume. I'm still trying to enjoy the peace and quiet and serentiy of the forest.

On those occasions we are in a CG....I agree that all of that should be shut down after quiet hours and kept to a minimum even during regular hours. I'm not one to get too bent out of shape if I hear some laughter or hushed conversation in a CG as long as people are making the effort. If you're playing music after quiet hours, you're making no effort whatsoever.

5. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Either source of music is fine with me. As long as it is not too loud to disturb us in our site. State parks tend to have the sites piled up so close that it is hard to have the radio up too loud even in the day time. I agree... after quiet hours everyone should be respectful when it comes to noise. With kids trying to sleep... mom and dad need all their rest as well to keep up with them the next day on the bike trails or at the beach.

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

On our last camping trip last year, there was a site across from my son and his girlfriend that set up their tacky lights and they sat around the fire strumming their guitars and they were singing quietly in spanish.......we loved it!! They were really good....even sang La bamba!!

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When I was in Death Valley in the Autumn of 2010 I camped in the Sunset CG at Furnace Creek. There was a Bluegrass/Folk group that brought a complete theater-style performance stage along with them. They had a huge MH and out in front of it they had erected a portable stage about three feet high. They had big generators to run lights, amplifiers and PA. Every night they gave a concert from 8-9. People from all over the campground brought chairs and formed an audience. We got a concert whether we wanted it or not. At least they quit right at 9:00.

8. Jiffypop

Jiffypop New Member

[quote author=mred]
    Do you look at people around a campfire with instruments differently than someone listening to the radio?
    [/quote]

Yes, but only because instruments are heard off and on whereas the radio is non-stop noise.

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I think this is a good and valid point. Generally, when I'm at a CG and I hear "live" music, it is usually some light strumming and/or picking on an acoustic guitar and a lot of traditional "campfire" songs. It's usually pretty short lived and not overly loud or obnoxious.

If someone is has a radio going, it can go on for hours and hours at various volumes. I don't really like feeling like I"m at a rock concert when I'm out in the woods, but some light acoustic guitar doesn't really bother me.

That said, we've had only ONE experience where a church youth group had reserved the group area at a forest service CG....they had services every evening that began with about 30 minutes of music and ended with about 30 minutes of music. This was all acousitc intruments (and no drums thankfully).....but they did have microphones and speakers and of course, all the kids joined in the singing further amplifying the sound. This scenario was moderately annoying, but thankfully, it was in the early evening and not after quiet hours so not too much we could complain about.....plus, they all seemed to be having fun and enjoying themselves.

10. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

As a singer, one who is expected to be able to fill a hall with sound without a mic, I too would be annoyed by the need of the church youth group to amplify their sound. Acoustic intruments and non amplified singers would be fine. To amplify in a campground to me would be inconsiderate.

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I'd agree, as long as the music and singing is confined entirely to one's campsite. I go camping to listen to the sounds of nature. I don't want to hear music or singing at all, especially after quiet hours. Keep your noise confined to your site; I extend you the same courtesy.

12. SqueaknMCrack

SqueaknMCrack Air Force Brat. Army Mom

My husband is into music. thinks he has more talent then he does on guitar, his true instrument is the drums.. AND NO we will not be packing them!! he has friends who go camping and they set up a mini stage & play (Forgive me) CRAP! Loud & Late! I refuse to go camping with them anymore because of the disrespect! Music is fun it is great as a mater of fact not everyone likes the same music! I like almost all kinds. LOVE Bagpipes & Drums! Fav Scottish bands are Albannach & Mother Grove. But I try to respect my camp neighbors buy using Ipod w/headphones when I want it loud! Softly stummed is great... No heavy metal please...

13. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

After quiet time all I want to hear is birds and wind residue. (ok maybe somebody falling over stuff trying to be quiet and not using lights, but then again, some think I am a little twisted in what amuses me)

Before quiet time, I don't mind most unamplified music or voices, and campfires with singing is fine. But once the sun is down most noises should go down. I want to hear the owls, the coyotes, the frogs, etc, trains in the distance, etc. We also like to sit out and read or watch for shooting stars, etc. Then again I tend to like to get up early and maybe get some fishing in or maybe walking in before breakfast and the DW likes to sleep in. Neither of which we usually get to do at home.

After quiet time, I don't want to hear it no matter how good a musician or singer you are.

14. pnut4204444

pnut4204444 "king of the hill"

if u can hear it outside a campsite.............thats bull!campsites are too close to expect your nieghbor(20ft away at most)to not be heard at ur campsite!some of you are camping nazis! [{:)]

15. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

and you don't want to even get him started about people complaining about his halogen flood lights! [:O] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

16. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

I thought the 24-hr daylight was kinda strange... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

17. pnut4204444

retired folks stay home!no halogens they waste watts, we save dolphins! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

18. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

You don't even want to get him started about the retired folks in the campsite next door making too much noise at 7AM only 12 minutes after he woke up still drunk halfway under the pop-up, managed to get inside and remove the pants and underwear he lost control of his bodily functions in around 4:30AM and finally crawled in the bunk! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [:(O] [:D] [LOL]

19. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Ok, ok, I will attempt to be a feeble voice of reason here. I hate noisy neighbors as much as anyone. Well... almost anyone. But if you stay in a campground, you are asking for it. People can are having fun and will make some noise.. ( please spare me the loud music and drunken hollerin' and F-bombs) Campsites are close together,and it's inevitable. Let's all try to be good neighbors.

20. pnut4204444

lmfao no drunkiness and loss of body function.....maybe passed out in chair by fire next to my radio!i mean i live in ohio....do you expect more?SAVE DOLPHINS!!