Live music as compaired to radio

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mred, Jan 20, 2012.

1. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Ok, I'm sorry, maybe I just need to lay off of you, you're just a young man lookin' to have a good time with your friends, right? But you keep making my point for me. Why would you be asleep with your radio still playing late into the night?!? "Cause you do what you want, everybody else be damned? For the record, I think there are people here who seem to go a little overboard with the strictness, too. But you're coming across as someone who does things just to dare someone to ask you to tone it down so you can go off on them. Just my opinion.
    And what's with you and "retired" people? Did some little old lady take your lollipop once? But anyway, I think it's great you are saving the dolphins. Do you only save the young adult ones, or the ones who have reached dolphin retirement age, too? Are you sure they want you advocating for them, or maybe they are saving you?!? And I also think it's great you are from Ohio, you should be proud. I would be if I were from Ohio. Wonder why you didn't just put it in your profile, though, and fly your flag as proudly as you proclaim your "non-retiree" status. Maybe that's the "more" I would expect from someone from Ohio [;)] .
    Just a few closing thoughts. "lmfao"? That's real classy, real appropriate for a forum like this. How's that for an old geezer (I'm not quite retired yet) complaining? And surely you didn't think that no "retiree" would know what the numerals in your screen name signify. Or maybe you are hoping they do so they can complain about that, too. The old timers who enjoyed that kind of thing back in the day just did it and went on with their business, and were fun to be around. You've got to advertise it in you screen name, maybe so you can tell anyone who questions it where to get off.
    Lastly, (and realize this is coming from someone who has turned a lot of people off with some dumb comments I've made) why exactly did you join here, just to tell all the "retired" people to stay at home and shut up? Or did you join to get and give good advice, have discussions and share stories, etc.? Look at all your post before I started this little tit-for-tat with you. Is that how you interact with everyone who isn't in your 25-30year-old circle of friends?
    Happy camping, and I'll leave you alone from now on. :) And I hope you are a happy retiree one day.

2. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I've had nothing to say on this forum for quite a while. I do now. In my experience, and I've had a lot of it, when I see people luggin' around guitars, I see attention starved, immature people. You don't hear jack out of 'em all day..... then as night falls and things get quiet - out come the axes. I mean..... c'mon..... you can't hear their immense musical talents over the sound of screaming kids and laughing adults.

One night at Clear Creek after hearing "Lord I Lift Your Name On High" for the 74th time, I went over to this campsite about 12:15 AM and told these people if they really want to be a testimony to their faith, they will obey the campground rules and "SHUT UP" !! They did.

Another time at Cook Forest, I walked 500 yards to the sound of a very loud guitar and asked the guy if he took requests. He said yes and I asked for "The Sounds of Silence". He didn't get it...... [::)] [::)]

3. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

We usually camp with two or three other families, LOTS of music around the campfire AND everyone is welcome to join in! Most times they do and have a good time, some even bring their own instruments. We always have lots of good food and laughs. Quiet time however is respected if requested. Most times if you can hear us you are part of us

4. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

So it looks like this really struck a chord... pardon the pun... It seems that some are total grouches, and shouldn't be camping with other people, and others are totalaly self absorbed and shouldn't be camping with other people. Then there is the rest, as long as its before quite hours and not to loud anything is ok... Remember people we are all there to enjoy camping in the way we enjoy it, respect others "way" and enjoy your way!! :) :)

5. pnut4204444

pnut4204444 "king of the hill"

too much time on ur hands go camp!quit trying to push buttons [CP]

6. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I just thought he was from Omaha and was sharing part of his phone number... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

7. pnut4204444

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

When I was a park ranger, noisy neighbors in campgrounds was the number one complaint.

Many times the noisemakers playing loud radios or singing loud enough to disturb others were surprised to learn that posted quiet hours didn't mean they could make all the noise they wanted. If they were overly loud and disturbing others, they were asked to tone it down. Usually people complied. The general rule is that incidental noise like watching a game on tv, listening to a radio at the picnic table, or strumming quietly on a guitar is acceptable. If your noise carries over and prevents others from enjoying their campsite, you're the one in the wrong, not the person sitting outside quietly.

After quiet hours, noisemakers would be directed to cease making noise immediately, and if they persisted, they'd be directed to leave.

I would guess that half of campground incident reports related to noise, and I can hardly remember any that weren't warranted.

9. pnut4204444

i camp in atv parks,atv rallys,nascar....i know im not quiet... [LOL] just trying to put in my [2C]

10. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

"And surely you didn't think that no "retiree" would know what the numerals in your screen name signify. Or maybe you are hoping they do so they can complain about that, too. The old timers who enjoyed that kind of thing back in the day just did it and went on with their business, and were fun to be around. You've got to advertise it in you screen name, maybe so you can tell anyone who questions it where to get off."

Did you strike a chord- What would pnut400ex mean?

11. jbrandt

jbrandt Member

that usually depends on how drunk you are, lol...

But to answer the OP's question: I don't look at a dude with a guitar any different than a guy with a generator and a boombox. I have a guitar, and play what I call music, but I know that other people might think it sounds like cats being tortured. But my friends drink a lot, so they think it sounds awesome. But it doesn't really matter what my playing sounds like, it only matters IF other people can hear it when they don't want to. And since you can't really tell when or IF other people want to listen to your music, just don't play it that loud.

It's the same for generators, loud annoying kids, or dudes with guitars. Loud is loud.

If you think you're good enough that everyone wants to hear you play, go to the amphitheater during open mic night (if there is one).

12. jbrandt

jbrandt Member

hold on there cowboy. Calm down and stop with the nazi crap. I don't think anyone here is saying ANY noise heard after quiet hours is time to gather the pitch forks.

I think the consensus is talking about what is *reasonable* to avoid excess noise for the betterment of everyone's experience. I don't tip toe around at night, but I also to slam my PUP's door, or yell at my buddy across the site to grab me another beer.

I can hear muffled sounds (voices, etc...) and not be offended, because I know I'm 20 feet away, but when I can pick out what episode of Lost you're watching or recognise what verse of Freebird you butchered from 3 campsites away, that's bullcrap.

13. Wynterowl

Wynterowl New Member

I do like music when out in nature... to a point, I like to play soft relaxing music when I can... and like to drum along with it, but not to the point of disturbing others, but if they want to join in... all the better!

I hit the woods so I DON'T her the constant "whomp, whomp, whomp" of the neighbour's stereos...

14. gketchup

gketchup Member

If you knowote than one song I'm good with it! :)

15. gketchup

gketchup Member

Try this...if you know more than one song, I'm good with it!

16. jbrandt

jbrandt Member

reminds me of a joke:

How many guitarists does it take to play Enter Sandman?

Apparently all of them.

17. MamaLor

MamaLor Pop Up, Wind Down

We were enjoying our annual Labor Day trip at Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod, but had the unfortunate luck to camp next to a group celebrating quite loudly, all night!

There was instruments and chanting/singing in a foreign language. It appeared to be some sort of Hindu celebration and for some reason, DCR did nothing about it. We tend to stay up late enjoying our fire, but this group went well into the early morning hours.

This was the worst live music at camp I could ever fathom!

18. Wynterowl

Wynterowl New Member

Almost sounds like a pagan gathering...lol I know that we go till the sun comes up at them... you know the heathen things, dance around a fire, drum, sing, chant, drink copious amounts of mead... lmao But I would never when I am camping.

19. ricko

ricko Member

My son and I both play Tuba...

I've always heard all we need to do is put one on the picnic table and in a few hours we'll have the whole place to ourselves.

Ricko

20. fiddlingdoc

fiddlingdoc Member

When I go camping with a group, we play acoustic music. We respect quiet hours, and I make it a point NOT to have radios playing, as that is a constant sound level. My tastes in music are varied; radio tends to stick with a format which, while it may be pleasing to me, might not sit well with the neighbors. With live music, there is more diversity in the songs, at least with us. Also, as mentioned before, live music usually is shorter-lived than a radio, which can, either accidentally or by design, be left on all day/night.

I play fiddle, which does travel considerably through the airwaves, so I tend to mute it if there is any chance of annoying the general populace.

On one occasion, we did infringe on quiet hours. The ranger came by and told us to shut it down, which we did immediately. I apologised; it was our fault, we had lost track of the time. Some others in our group complained that we had all of the people in the area listening to us, but quiet means quiet.

If I hear live music from other campsites, I am inclined to go over and listen or join in, if it seems appropriate.

Fiddling Doc