Live music as compaired to radio

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by mred, Jan 20, 2012.

1. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Lol,

Q: What's the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist?

A: A rock guitarist plays three chords for thousands of people, a jazz guitarist plays thousands of chords for three people.

2. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

Don't want to hijack, maybe this needs a new thread, but on noise/music in the campground, what s the consensus on loud snorer's and those that enjoy their tent mates (ahem) and aren't afraid of sharing their enjoyment. On several campground outings I have been awakened by neighbors engaging in late nite "exercise" that continued on for some time. I have also been awakened by my wife as see was scared by what she thought was a bear outside, but turned out to be a neighbor snoring.

I agree, in many instances they have made the campsites too close, either by campground layout, or where individuals decide to setup camp.

Anyway, looking forward to these "small inconveniences" this camping season :)

3. cuninham

cuninham Oh boy...!!

Nothing would make my weekend camping trip more enjoyable then a group of 20 somethings setting up their electric guitars and amps; doing +100 mic checks while they cracked their 1st case of Molson Canadian right across from my site...seriously though...if the guy playing the guitar is a decent player I personally wouldnt mind the sound even if it was pass the *quiet time*...but that's me

4. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

To me, the live music is almost worse! LOL People *think* they can play and sing and usually it only sounds good to the one playing/singing.

5. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Ok I just finished reading through this whole thread. I have a question for you.... Why is it not a part of the CG host's job to make a sweep through the campground at 10pm (or whenever quiet hours start) and let the campers know it's time to start settling in for the night?

It occurred to me that the cg hosts have a job to do... shouldn't we be expecting better from them? I mean they give us a list of rules to follow, why not let them know what we expect from them?

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Honestly, I've rarely encountered any problems at the NFS CGs I camp.

You have to keep in mind that the vast majority of CG hosts....at least the ones I've come across at the forest service CGs are retired volunteers. The season is long....perhaps some start out being very vigilant and that enthusiasm wains as the season progresses. Most CG hosts will intervene if there is a complaint, but I don't know too many that go out on patrol right as the clock turns 10.....most of them are in bed by that time.

Honestly, as long as things aren't out of control, I'm not all that bothered....it's 10:05, I'm not going to go all drill instructor on someone or go marching down to the camp host in a huff. In my experience, most folks simmer down on their own anywhere from 10:00-10:30.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

What are these "campground hosts" you speak of?

Seriously, while our state parks and the larger NFS CGs have hosts, most of the formal CGs I camp in (small NFS) don't. A person shows up once a day for a few minutes to collect money from the self-pay station and check the condition of the vault toilet -- that's it. If someone else is camping there and causing a problem I either have to go talk to them or live with it.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Can't believe I actually read through every post in this thread. What a colossal waste of free time and bandwidth.

[2C]

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

9. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Wolfman- I'm more thinking of those up past midnight playing.

Unstable- every paid campground I've been to has a full time host that lives on site. A couple of the campgrounds have more than one! :). I agree, though, that the novelty of the job wears thin and they just want their day over. :)

Dubya,
    You're free to not read it and others are free to post topics that interest them even if they don't interest you.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I found the topic of extreme interest, it's some of the replies that I was referring to! [;)]

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

The last few NFS CGs I've camped have had hosts. I drove by one of my favorites in June and they didn't have a host....but they did last year. I looked on the forest service website when I got home and sure enough, they were looking for a host for that CG. There are a couple others in that same "neighborhood" that I've never seen a host.

I've always thought it would be kind of cool to be a host for a season...but after reading much of this stuff, I think not. I would be better served just to go out on a three month camping trip to a lot of different places.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I always bring my Banjo, nothing like sitting by the fire and picking a few tunes. I have never had anyone complain, as long as I dont sing [:D]. Its a gut string hide head clawhammer Banjo. The wifes ipod stays in the camper and If I can hear it more than 20-30 ft from the camper it gets turned down....I have to laugh about "quiet time"...there a music festival we go to that the music NEVER stops...4AM there is a jam going on someplace. no one compains...but if you start a generator up ANYTIME...you will be asked once to move outside the gate if you want to run it. 2nd offense and your gone.....

13. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Location, location, location...

Mushroom Rock Cave

(Flute playing on a camping/diving trip in Mexico)