Lizard Creek, Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Dread_Pirate_Bailey, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

A couple weeks ago, I was stressed at work because of a really bad case, so I headed out to the Grand Tetons to reset myself. Scott's Bluff NM was a nice stop on the way to stretch my legs a bit. At Grand Tetons, I always camp at Lizard Creek when I'm out there, since it's the quietest campground in the park, in my experience. I've never had a problem getting a site without reservations.

I back in and unhook, getting Lily to just about where I want her. I figured I could manuever a little by hand to get her positioned, since she's so lightweight. Next thing I know, an old guy walks into the site and says, "My wife saw you over here, and said I needed to come help you out." He then grabbed the A-frame, and moved my camper to where he thought she should be...NOT where I wanted her. He said, "Wow, it's light enough to move by hand." He just about backed her right into the log at the back of the camp pad. He then walked off. I just smiled and said, "Thank you," even though I was not happy that he interfered.

It was a bit down hill from where I wanted her, and I'm not strong enough to pull her uphill on my own power, and didn't feel like hooking back up to reposition, so I just leveled her there. I barely had enough room to turn the crank to raise the roof. Thanks a lot old man. Next time, ASK if someone needs help before jumping in. The guy in the next site, driving a Class A, said the guy came over and told him how to he should set up his site too, so I guess it wasn't just because I'm female.

I then spent the next five days getting up early, 5 AM Wyoming time (7 am my time), hikng, relaxing, and enjoying my solitude. Since I got up earlier than most of the other people visiting the parks, I was able to be up and about before almost anyone else. Grand Tetons and Yellowstone were beautiful, of course. Headed east, I went through Bighorn CanyonNational Recreation Area, and drove Chief Joseph Highway. I was by myself, so I didn't have to care about what anyone else wanted to do, or where they wanted to go. I was able to see a lot more than would have been possible if I'd had anyone with me.

I slept at Devil's Tower the first night after leaving GT, then headed to Wind Cave and Jewel Cave in South Dakota. After that, I stopped at Pipestone National Monument, then headed to Indiana with no more major stops.

While on the road, I found campsites on freecampsites.net. One night was in Nebraska near the Platte River, and another at Chamberlain, SD. I also slept next to the Jolly Green Giant Statue in Blue Earth, MN. That campground, at the fairgrounds, offered free showers.

In October, I'm planning a New England trip with my two adult children. I'm thrilled they've decided to go with me, but I know I won't be able to be as selfish! I'll have to do some things they want to do!

hq308 and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sounds like you had a great time.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like you had a great time, and had a neighbor who helped you, I think it probably made him feel better being a good neighbor. Even tho it was not where you wanted it. Also sounds like you are planning another great trip in Oct. with the kids, enjoy them and spend all the time you can with them. Good luck and Happy Camping

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Lizard creek is a nice spot. I fish there every fall when the lake reopens.

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Completely understand. Last year Labor day weekend while tent camping the guy behind us didn't offer any help while we were setting up in the rain, but had plenty of advise when the sun came out. Guy had a R-pod with an ad a room and constantly boasted how great it is and that we should get one. The DW said he was just being friendly, but I wanted to be left alone.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Where in Chamberlain SD did you camp?? My folks and other family members reside there.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great trip. Lizard is one of our favorite campgrounds.

8. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

It was a few miles south of town near a boat dock. Dude Ranch, I think.