load range upgrade on tires?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by bmxdukie, Jul 10, 2014.

1. bmxdukie

bmxdukie New Member

Hi folks, I have an 8' box jayco tent trailer.. 2006.
    very small and nice..
    I am heading from near watertown ny to bristol tn in a couple of weeks.
    My question is this
    Trailer has a gvwr of 1880 lbs with 5.30 x12 tires on 4 bolt rims. Load range c tires.
    If I went with load range D tires would it be better over all?
    I never overload the unit an we pull it with a 2006 surburban so no towing troubles.

2. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Hi BMX -

If your trailer came with C's, and you do not plan on increasing the weight, then I would not go with D's.

Firts, your springs and frame are mostly likely rated for the weight that is set for the C's. C tires have a rating of 1820 pounds, 2 x that is 3640 for the entire trailer total. Since your trailer has a GVWR of 1880, your tires are more then suffieicnet to carry the load and the distance.

If you switch to a D rated, yes you gain the ability to carry more weight, but your trailer frame is not meant for that, and your ride will be stiffer, and you will sway more, then you will end up letting air out to get a smoother ride.

Good luck.

BYD

3. turborich

turborich Active Member

If you can find a D rated tire to replace the current C tire then I would do it. There will be nothing negative about the switch and you will have stronger tires under your camper. It's completely your call, either C or D will be fine. [2C]

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

X2. just a little extra insurance

5. ErikRuud

ErikRuud New Member

Are you sure about those numbers? Every 5.30 x12 Load Range C tire I just looked up stated 1045 pounds, which is only 2090 pounds total. That should still be sufficient for an 1880 trailer.

Going to a higher load rating does not automatically increase your trailers load carrying capacity.

My trailer originally came with 5.70x8 Load Range C tires. Those only have a 910 pound limit, so combined the add up to 1820. My trailer has a GVWR of 1800 pounds because that was all the original axle was rated for. That 20 pound margin has always made me very careful about how much I put in my camper.

I have since replaced the axle because the rubber parts of the torsion axle were wearing out. The new axle has a higher weight rating, but even that doesn't mean I can add more weight even if I went to a higher load range tire because I don't know what the frame can hold. I suspect the frame can handle more, but I don't know that it can.

A higher load range tire would increase the margin for error between the weight rating and the actual capacity of any given tire that might not live up to it's rating.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Lots of folks replace "C" with "D" and I really don't think it's that huge a deal. As has already been pointed out, the consensus is that they get a stiffer ride so people just run them with less air. It's your call.

Unless you're changing the purpose of the trailer, I think that for the most part, manufacturers choose the appropriate tires to match the rated axle capacity, so the biggest decision we need to consider is whether to replace them with bias ply or radials.

FWIW, I replaced my old tires with "C" rated LoadStar tires, keep them at a steady 50 psi, rotate them every season and couldn't be happier. I chose bias ply because I don't pull the camper for more than three hours at a time and seldom ever take it over 62 mph anyway.

7. bmxdukie

bmxdukie New Member

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I am going to get a set of the d rated tires I hope this week
    now to pick bias or radials? Ugg!

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Either ......... long trips across the country, radials may be better.

9. tsc

tsc Member

I wouldn't sweat too much on bias vs radials.

Lots of discussion about that, kinda like Ford vs Chevy arguments.

I got ST185/80/13's on my pup and travelled from Ontario to Nova Scotia and back, doing the mountains of New Bruinswick and parts of the Calbot trail.

That summer I did over 5000 km on bias tires without any problems and they are still going strong.

(yes, I'm partial to bias tires, since I can't get my size and load range in radials). But truth be told, I can't see the merits of one over the other.

Depending where you are in Ontario, Princess Auto or Cerka Industries might have the tires you need (I like Cerka, they treated me well--especially with my odd ball sized tires). But others have had good luck with local tire places, once they factor in shipping.

Sorry, just read the rest of your post, it looks like your Kingston way. May want to consider buying tires on the South side of the border on your way through, it maybe cheaper.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I love the radials I have on my TrailManor.

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

My [2C] Put on LT tires.
    No speed/heat worries, great sidewall strength, and easy to find.
    I have the EXACT same trailer configuration and it's fantastic. Much better than the ST radial I had.

12. bmxdukie

bmxdukie New Member

Big baron,
    I would love to go with lt tires.. however I have the 4 on 4 bolt rims with 5.3 x 12 tires

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Michelin and several others make them.