Lock on door?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DeeBee, Jun 1, 2020.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

I have to ask because I looked at a used popup that was for sale today but I forgot to look at the door closely. Do popups have a "lock" on the door? I realize it may not be a really strong lock...but is there any kind of a deterrent on the door? Thanks...hope that doesn't sound like a silly question but I know travel trailers have locks. Thanks in advance.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Yes, most have a lock on the door. Many popups use the same key or key series. It is also right beside the removable canvas, so minimal security.

bheff likes this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Every popup that I have seen had a lock on the door. Don't expect any security from it.

Sjm9911 and bheff like this.
  4. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Active Member

On my 06 Fleetwood Utah the screen door has only an interior lock but the step can be put in the up "travel" position and does have a lock. The only problem is the velcro around the edges of the door can be easily removed and I think that is pretty universal on most pups.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not sure if your talking about when set up or in travel mode so I'd say it depends on the camper. My Fleetwood has what they call a stepper door that does have a lock however when setting up, that door lowers down to create a step and I put in a one piece door that does not have an external lock. However if I'm leaving the site for an extended time I raise the stepper door and lock that. Now my old Jayco had a 2 piece door and the bottom half did have a lock mainly because that bottom was also the door when in travel mode.

kitphantom and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Yep they are about the same as on your storm/screen door on your house.
    If security worries are a concern...a pop up may not be a good choice.

Jimbow likes this.
  7. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Thanks for the replies. I was talking about after setup, does the door have a lock. My daughter has two small children and I wondered if there is a lock to secure door at night. Don't think little one could "escape" without parents waking, but just wondered....

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Inside should always be able to be opened, locked or not, but I have seen some where that was not true.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Easy enough to put a alarm on it. So if it opens , it goes off.

10. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

My door lock was a poor fit so I purchased a screen door knob with a lock. The only time I use it is at night while sleeping. I also use a battery operated window alarm on the door at night.

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Yes, they have locks when popped up. Everyone I have had locks. Some will automatically unlock if used from the inside, some wont.

12. firepit

My security is a Plott hound who's bark can heard in the next zip code...lol

asset.jpg

13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Announcing to any would be thief that there's no one around your campsite or in your camper. :oops:

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Both of our popups had locks. Handy on the first, tiny, popup, because things were so snug that when someone sat on one bench, the cushion often pressed on the latch part and the door would swing open. We used the lock to keep that from happening. As for keeping kids from wandering, besides alarms, I've seen people put another latch high enough they couldn't reach it, but easy for an adult to use.
    For safety in travel, our first popup had external lifter arms that were over the door when the roof was down, so no worry about it opening on the road. Second one was a Coleman with the swing close door (not stepper) which locked over the opening.
    Our TT does not have a lock on the screen door, and so far we've not found a way to add one, there isn't enough frame to add a hook or anything, I've bought a couple of things that just didn't work. The outer door has a latch lock and dead bolt.

15. firepit

What else should he do?....It's a pop up...Not real hard to get in either way....If your not around either way they are going figure that out.

16. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

The Jayco has a small lever on the latch that locks it. Flip one way to lock and the other to unlock. Of course a kid could unlock it, but by the time they are old enough to do that, hopefully they know better.

17. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Whatever he wants but locking the stepper door doesn't do a thing to prevent theft from a popup with tenting. Myself, I just left the stepper door down - no issues in the years we camped in popups.

18. firepit

Kinda what i thought...Either way...A pop up is easy pickins.
    You walk away from it and you take the risk....Nature of the beast.