Locks and solar

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by jackquontee, Apr 28, 2020.

1. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

This...Lack of secure security? and;

this 200w Renogy portable solar kit. IMG_1741.JPG Gonna open it to inspect it but won't bother hooking it up right now. Will get to it at some point to make sure that the integrated Zamp connection is going to work when it's connected.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You just need an adapter to connect a non-Zamp panel.
    As for locking the panel, if you're going to keep it mobile, it's not usually difficult, unless Renogy is styles differently than the ones we have. Both of our panels have a slot that we can lock a cable to. I still wish I could find a coated braided cable like we use in high-viz colors, because I use it to mark the path of the power cable from the Zamp. In some sites, that can reduce a trip hazard; it just depends on how the site is laid out.
    We still use our 4 Goal Zero panels, to charge the GZ Yeti 150 separately from the trailer. They are linked together, the locking slit would only easily lock two of them, but I don't bother to lock those anymore. Usually they're propped against the camper, I can run the power cable in through the emergency exit window and leave the Yeti plugged in all the time. We set the Zamp where the best sun exposure is.

3. jackquontee

Which I have ready to go.
    I also have a Renogy 100w kit that I've been using about the past 4 years. I recently bought an ebike so I'm going to experiment with the 100w kit to charge the battery for that.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. jackquontee

On March 22, 2020, I ordered the 200w Renogy portable solar kit from SolarTown.
    Let me state that I don't believe this is SolarTown's fault at all! I do believe it is the responsibility of the deliveryman.

The day before, I received a text from the delivery company to state that a signature would be needed for a package that was being delivered the next day. The next day, as I was replacing the locks on my camper, the deliveryman creeped up on me and had a package in his hands that I could tell would be the solar kit. I asked if he needed a signature and he said "No, that's okay." and proceeded to drop it off on the front stoop. I thought, okay, I guess he must be in a hurry to deliver his other packages.

Today, I decided to open the package to inspect it and found the bottom edge of the package had been opened and re-taped. Ookay. Upon opening it I found this..
    IMG_1745.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG

Here was the condition of the box..
    IMG_1748.JPG IMG_1751.JPG

The interesting thing is that the impact mark on the box aligns exactly with the impact to the panel.

Solartown has been amazing, thus far. I contacted them and they told me that they would send me an email (which I received while typing this post) with instructions on how to proceed with a return.

I have always made it an effort to be patient over things. Nothing's perfect and, with all that's going on, I realize it's even more important to be patient now. But, to wait 5 weeks just to have a damaged item delivered, and the person responsible not even take responsibility for the damage, is what ticks me off.

Anywho, I guess it will be another 5 weeks. Good thing is that there's no rush to get out right now.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. jackquontee

God bless 'em. Within a few days they had a replacement on its way, which arrived today. Gonna do a nice write up on them, and suggest they find another shipper.
    Now, I don't know what's wrong with these shipping companies and their handling of packages but it's getting really tiring and frustrating receiving items whose packages are beat up to the point where the items are damaged, or leaves cause for concern that the items may be damaged.
    IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1889.JPG IMG_E1887 (2).JPG
    The box is marked Fragile, but this is how it's received.
    Of course, I inspected the condition of the contents right away but will wait until tomorrow to connect it to make sure it's working properly. Was somewhat surprised to find the "suitcase" opened and a part of the clasps bent out of shape. Don't know for sure why and who's responsible.
    IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1893.JPG IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1896.JPG
    I think I'm going to take a break from online ordering for now and, especially as things are starting to reopen, maybe take my time and shop around in the stores.