Locust Lake State Park Aug 4 & 5

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by DJS12354, Aug 8, 2018.

1. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Booked two sites at Locust Lake State Park ( https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/LocustLakeStatePark/Pages/default.aspx ) for a weekend stay with kids and grand-kids. We had sites 27 & 28 in the 1 - 50 Loop.
    Sites were well graded and clean, but degree of level varied greatly from site to site. Sites are fairly open, not camping on the lawn, but a little more brush would be nice.
    Both of our sites were booked as power only. Water spigots are at various points around the loop.
    Our grands and their parents were driving from Ohio, where they had spent the night at great-grand-mom's. Joy and I drove down and set up a tent for the family one one site and our pup on the other.
    Washroom and Bathhouses had very muddy floors and it seemed like little effort was made to stay ahead of the mess. (in their defense, the are had suffered a great deal of rain). Showers were clean and there was no lack of hot water. Dish washing station was decently lit and well laid out.
    Only serious complaint I had was lack of enforcement of quiet hours. There were several loud groups that made for a tough time trying to get to sleep. In previous visits to Locust Lake their were frequent rounds made by the rangers in comparison to this stay.
    I did send a letter of complaint and compliments to the park office and received a well worded and thoughtful reply.
    We like the park and chose it for it's proximity to Knoebel's Amusement Park (1 hour away) and wanted our grand-kids first camping experience to be a good one. All in all it was and they are already asking when they can go again!