logging in from Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rogerbid, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Rogerbid

Rogerbid New Member

Hi there,

I have been a lurking member for a long time and really enjoyed reading of the American members experiences. After contacting the Administrators with a query I was encouraged to participate in some of the forums even though I am an Aussie member. I figured the best place to start is in the Introduce Yourself forum so here goes!

Now retired, in 1986 I emigrated to Australia from the UK where my wife and I had enjoyed camping under canvas with our two boys. Initially we camped in Australia with a trailer tent and enjoyed many interstate trips, as far north as tropical North Queensland and west into South Australia. It was not until 2014 that we bought our first Popup, a Jayco Dove. This was one of the smaller Australian Jaycos, but with 2 pull out beds it was ample for our needs. By this time we were no longer travelling with our lads and so the second bed became useful storage space.

After 2 shakedown weekends away we set off on our longest single trip (11,000 kilometers / 6,800 miles) up through the centre of Australia and across to the East coast and back following the ocean to Melbourne. This took us 3 months.We covered a total of 20,000 kilometers with the Dove.

Unsuccessful surgery on both my shoulders failed to overcome difficulties I had pulling out the beds and in 2018 we changed the Dove for a Jayco Penguin. This is pretty much the same size as the Dove but has a double bed which is a premanent fixture within the rigid body, i.e. it is no longer necessary to pull out the bed. This has made a huge difference, and our early concerns about the reduced storage room have been unfounded.

To date we have covered 13,000 kms with the Penguin, much less than we would have liked due to the covid restrictions of the last 2 years.

Throughout our camping life we have relied on the same tow vehicle, a trusty 2002 Aussie built Ford Falcon which has served us very well. I cannot imagine towing with anything else, and when this finally expires that will signify the end of our popup camping! I will attach a few photos of the Dove and the Penguin, knowing that the models will be unfamilar to the US based members, and hope they are of interest.

Best wishes to everyone.

Dove, Roadside at Bang Bang Rest Area, Queensland.jpg Falcon and Penguin.jpg Penguin set up at Adelaide caravan park,.jpg Penguin interior 2.jpg Penguin interior.jpg

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

3. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Welcome from NY. Glad you are finally introducing yourself. Best to you in your adventures!

4. NLB

NLB Member Silver Supporting Member

Great looking camper! I had no idea Ford Falcon still existed, haven’t seen one in the USA the late ‘60’s. Happy Trails.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Welcome from northern Virginia. The Jayco Pelican is cool looking and a perfect size for a couple or even a family of 3. Having that outdoor screen room would solve some storage issues if you had a third person. Thank you for sharing.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Greetings! Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

As @jmkay1 said, the Penguin would be perfect for a couple. Are those available in the U.S.? I've never seen one.

7. jmkay1

. At one time Fleetwood made something very very similar but I believe it was only manufactured for a year or so, it is extreme rare to find one now. I saw one for sale a long time ago and failed to grab the name. Clipper I believe came close by making a single bunk version but it was only an 8’ camper with a door in the back. Now, a frames with the canvas bump outs are the closest things we can find here. I personally think the Aussie campers are cool and more practical looking than ours here. Too bad it will cost an arm and a leg to ship one here.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Welcome from the high desert of the American Southwest.

9. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas! I enjoyed seeing the pictures.

11. Rogerbid

Rogerbid New Member

Hi Jimbow,

Thank you for your reply. I should correct a misunderstanding, Ford are no longer manufacturing the Falcon here, in fact Ford does not exist here as a manufacturer any longer.

Ford first set up camp here in 1925 by amalgamating the importers and retailers. The first manufacturing plants opened in Geelong, (Victoria), Brisbane (Queensland) and Adelaide (South Australia) in 1926, Fremantle (West Australia) in 1929 and Sydney in 1934.

The first Falcon was produced in 1960, a 2.4 L (144 cu in) 6 cylinder, the XK, the first of 7 generations of Falcon. Engine sizes grew over the years to around 4 litres.

The most dramatic Falcon was the GTHO Phase 3 introduced in 1973 specifically to win the Bathurst 500 mile race where it filled all the podium positions. Rightly or wrongly it was often deemed to be the fastest 4 door sedan in the world.

The last Falcon rolled off the production line in October 2016.

Various body styles have been sold as Falcons, namely the family 4 door Sedan, 2 door coupes, Station Wagons, Panel vans, and Pick-ups (Utilities as they are called here). There have been a succession of high performance variations also earning staunch loyalty among buyers.

I have always considered there was a strong family resemblance between the Aussie Falcon and the US Taurus models though I am not sure how much similarity there was under the skin. To quote a website "The Taurus and Falcon have led somewhat parallel lives in the last decade: both were once top-selling cars, with the Taurus dominating the US market in the mid-1990s around the same time as the Falcon's last stint at the top Down Under.

I hope the above is of some interest to the USA members! Happy camping!

Attached Files:

12. Rogerbid

Rogerbid New Member

Thank you to those who have welcomed me and commented on my rig! As a PS I thought you might like to see another couple of images, the floorplan and the under-bed storage, cavernous in a word!

best wishes

Attached Files:

NLB and kitphantom like this.
  13. jmkay1

@Rogerbid the floorplan shows overhead storage. Curious what that looks like. Thanks again for the pictures I love your camper.

14. Rogerbid

Rogerbid New Member

G'day again,

Thanks for your message [:D][:D]. I am sorry, I don't have a photo handy that shows the overhead storage and cannot get to the camper just now. As soon as I can, I will happily put up a photo to show the storage, it is invaluable. I am sure anyone with a saw and a drill could construct a similar cabinet and find it very handy!

I have just checked your weather online, Brrrrr, all those minus figures! I dont mean to make you envious but I am sitting with air conditioning on as it is over 30 outside (or about 90 in your language!), Phew!

Take care,

Roger

kcsa75 likes this.
  15. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Roger, welcome from southern California. Like many here I am intrigued with Aussie pop-ups. I especially like some of the off road versions but we are getting too old for that kind of thing now. It was the wife's health that moved us from tents to pop-up. The Penguin looks like it would be ideal for my wife (Bug ) and I. How difficult is it to lift the bed to get to the storage area?
    Thanks for the pics.
    Joe

16. Rogerbid

Rogerbid New Member

Thank you for the welcome message, Joe.

When we first looked at the Penguin I had reservations about the weight of the bed but was assured by the salesman it would not be a problem. He was right. The gas struts assist the lift and keep it open while items are put in or removed so it really is as easy as it looks. Even with the bedding in situ it is still easy. The only difficulty comes with making up the bed, getting the sheets fitted, as the mattress is very heavy. I don't think we would be ever be able to remove or turn the mattress but doubt the need will ever arise.

I am pleased the the Penguin has brought many favourable comments on this forum, and am frankly surprised there is not a comparable model on the market in the US. I wonder how many would fit in a shipping container!

I can appreciate your comment about the off-roaders and agree. In addition, we were deterred from that option because it would mean a change of tow vehicle. The Falcon wouldn't appreciate the rough conditions!

Thanks again for writing, Roger

17. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Welcome from the snows of Minnesota... ;-)