Long Key Sp

Discussion in 'Florida' started by swamphammock, Dec 27, 2013.

1. swamphammock

swamphammock New Member

I was wondering what the consensus was on Long Key SP...... I have researched here and elsewhere and find that it is apparently a well liked park. My questions I guess are how long in advance do I need to reserve? How close are the sites?( I know only what I have seen in pics and the park map, which have been prone to be not so accurate and/or misleading) How is the beach at the sites? Can you fish ( and CATCH) out back of the site? How kid friendly is the park?

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

going there in may. no kid activities at the park. vegetative screening between sites for the most part. check google earth and campsitephotos.com for months of dec-may you have to be ready to reserve immediately when the 11 month reservation window opens. YES on the fish

3. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

If you booking a weekend, you definitely have to book 11 months out..no matter what. You might get lucky, but I wouldn't chance it with any of the State Parks in the Keys. We are heading there in June...can't wait! It is by far our favorite SP in the Keys! All sites are on the water with a path to the beach.

4. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

I just got back from Long Key SP last night. We were there from 1/12 to 1/26. All sites are direct water front with good vegetation between sites. The water / electric connections are between 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc: if you have an even numbered site you will need an extension cord. My biggest complaint is traffic noise. The sites are 100 feet from the Overseas Highway (Rt 1) and the traffic is all night. Bahia Honda (Sandspur) or Curry Hammock is a much better campground.

5. thegeorgefamily06

thegeorgefamily06 Member

Wow! This place looks amazing! I think i am going to have to look into a trip here. Can you swim of the back of the site? If not, how far is a nice place to swim?

6. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Yep! Every site is right on the Ocean. The water gets to about 3 or 4 feet at most for over 100 yards off shore. Can't wait until June when our trip is booked to Long Key SP!

7. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Will let ya know after June... [SUN]

8. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

I have never made it that far because we are addicted to going to Fort Desoto. Have you checked there. Its super nice. Lots of trees between and over each spot. You cant even see your neighbors usually, most spots are on the water. And the beach and fort are just around the corner. Just an option for your.

Sharon

9. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

Love Long Key SP! We've stayed there several times! (I live 30 mins away..) We were soo close to the water that I tethered my kayaks to the pup!

Highly recommended! Also, Curry Hammock SP is pretty good as well! They have a Mango tunnel that is OVERFLOWING with fish. The water depth in the tunnel is no more than 3 - 4 feet and crystal clear!

10. nachomama

nachomama Member

I was just there at the end of January and they have a big rat problem going on. We saw several of them in the CG at night. We had a bike seat that ended up being chewed up. When we talked to the ranger, he said that they were aware of it and were waiting for enough complaints so they could get funding for an exterminator. Ugh!

I've stayed here and Bahia Honda and prefer Bahia Honda.

Long Key Pros - camp site is 5 feet from the water, beautiful sunrises, 2 of the 3 bathrooms have been rebuilt recently, trees and vegetation separating almost every site, bridge to fish from close by

Long Key Cons - utility hookups can be extremely far away, no sunset view (at least in winter), no camp store, not close to any restaurants, 1st restroom was pretty old and plumbing would clog, wade fishing only, road noise, not many activities besides sunbathing and boating, no utility sinks at restrooms, and don't forget the rat problem

Bahia Honda Pros - Great sunsets, great fishing from land or boat, lots of activities, bigger park, good snorkeling, camp store, utility sinks and fish cleaning station, museum, close to stores and restaurants

Bahia Honda Cons- little to no vegetation between sites, old bathrooms, no fires allowed, sites tend to flood in big storms, more crowded with people visiting for the day

11. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Awesome.... If the rats aren't gone by June Bill will have a blast!

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Don't know how bad the rats are because another PopUpPortal member was there 4 sites away at the same time and never saw a rat or evidence of any. Must be confined to the tent camping sites.

13. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

It has been a couple years since we have been there...but there were no rats when we were there. Only some land crabs. If there are rats, I'll be borrowing Mr. Bill! [:D]

14. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

We didn't see any rats but did see the crabs... Didn't read the post above about the longer power cords and water hoses... Thanks Jamie! Park was nice and sites really close to the water. As mentioned no store, ice, or washing machines. We can now say "Been there done that" and had a blast with friends.... Glad we are going back to Koreshan in a couple of months... [:D]

15. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I will have to say that the wife saw a rat in the 1st bathroom (older bathroom). I never saw one. Frank, anytime on borrowing the cord and hose. I had totally forgot that the even number sites had electric and water on the wrong side! I love it here! The only bad side was the seaweed on the beach...that was...yuck!

Had a great time with family & friends!