Long story, short question, winterizing plumbing

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Wrenchgear, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've had my Pup for about 9-10 years now. I have never put water in the plumbing system, never, not sure why, I guess there just hasn't been a need for it. We've been doing the dishes on the picnic table for about 30 years, so why change now? So anyway, I opened the Pup the other day to start getting ready for an up coming trip. Flip the sink into position and set it up. At the end of the day, I flip the sink over to pop down because rain was coming, and there's water in the sink, WTH??? I looked, and looked again. Water? but how? So I turned the water pump on, and opened up the tap, and all kinds of spittering and sputtering black crap came out. Well, this has never happened before. I go underneath and open the drain on the tank, but the tank is empty. So, after a while, I chock it up to condensation, although this has never happened before, in 10 years. Strange, but we've had tons of rain this spring, lots of humidity, it must've collected in the tap I guess. Wipe it out, pop it down.

So I pop it open again today to continue getting ready for the trip, and figure that I'm going to check out the whole water system. No water heater, no shower, only a sink, nothing else. I tightened all the clamps under the sink and at the pump, filled the water tank about 1/2 full, turned the pump on, and tried it all out. Everything worked perfect. Flushed all the crap out of the tap. I then plugged the garden hose on for city pressure, and again, everything worked perfect. So, I don't have time to play with this anymore, unscrew the hose, and drain the tank. I turned the pump back on to try and get as much water as possible out of the hose between the pump and the tap. Good enough, it all works, I have other things to do.

On to the question. ..... I can still hear water gurgling in the hose coming from the pump. I'm sure that everyone in freezing climates puts plumbing antifreeze in the tank for the winter, and pumps it through till it comes out the tap. I don't want to do that, because it's just one more Fall job that I have to do on my huge list of winterizing things already. I'm not interested in using the sink in the foreseeable future, so I don't want that antifreeze sitting in there for years and years. SO, do people worry about that small bit of water freezing and splitting the pump? I can whip a hose clamp off the pump, drain that line for real, and call it a day. What do you all think?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Pull both lines off the pump and blow out the lines with air.. then leave them off and turn on pump..

3. Wrenchgear

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I figured I'd pull the line off and make sure to get all the water out. No sense on having something freeze and split, and then I want to use it in a couple of years, and the thing is all broke. We'll hash it all out this coming weekend over a few drinks around a campfire. You going to Burl's Creek on Sat?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Kyle and me .. Yes. . Want to meet up at timmies in Huntsville on our home after?

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Eaither that or just remove it and move it inside, you could fill it with antifreeze also and then disconnect it, that way if you dont get all the water out it will at least have antifreeze in it.

Wrenchgear likes this.
  6. Wrenchgear

I think we are supposed to go to The Mag on Sat so we can do some cooking at my mom's. Mrs. Wrench needs an oven for something she's making for Mel. Say Hey to Mik for me.