Long strange trip

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by tstowe, Sep 2, 2013.

1. tstowe

tstowe New Member

We went to the Apple Festival in Hendersonville, NC. We stayed at the Orchard Lake Campground in Saluda. We were right beside some A-Frame cabins. A-Frame is apparently French for "party central" because the noise didn't stop Friday night on the deck of one till after midnight. If that wasn't fun enough we were woken each morning by a barking dog. Do people with barking dogs think others enjoy it? Or do they just not care? Oh, and Saturday night a guy heard the football game on the radio and took that as an open invitation to just walk into our camp and start listening to the game.

The campground isn't that bad. Lake to swim in...kids LOVED the zip line and they set up a giant slip and slide down one grassy hill. But the owners need to keep a closer eye on what goes on.

2. froggie

froggie New Member

Avoid holiday weekends, or weekends if possible. Avoid events like festivals. All these bring out the sometime campers who don't know the rules.

3. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I agree. The state park wasn't horrible but a lot of people. We are going again in OCT when the weather cools and most people stop going. I also have a few winter trips planned for sledding!

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

We were to a campground that the staff even warned us not to come on a certain weekend each year for that reason....

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Oh, I guess you met "THAT GUY" too! He sure does get around, doesn't he!

Labor day weekend, we were fast asleep as he stumbled down the steps to his TT, slamming the door on the way out. I guess he was stretching out when he croaked out a ridiculous "AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh......".

My eyes literally popped open as I looked at my watch. It was 8:30am and, other than whatever it was that woke me, nobody was making a peep. I laid in bed, hoping it'd be quiet for the next while. No joy.

He puttered around for couldn't have been more than 20 minutes before he starts yelling, "BRENT!, BRENNNNNNT!, COME OUT AND HAVE BREAKFAST!", banging something metal into what sounded like a frying pan. Really, he was ringing that thing like a dinner bell! This set several large dogs, randomly dispersed throughout the CG, to barking.

Well, I'm up now... I got dressed, turned on the coffee perk, took the dog out for his morning "walkies" and my trip to the "loo" then got cleaned up and sat down for a steaming cup of joe. At about 9:30, I hear the sound of a beer can being opened, yep it's "THAT GUY" as he thrusts his arms up over his head to croak out another ""AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh......".

I almost spit my coffee out. [LOL!] Shaking my head and smiling I let out a chuckle. "Unbelievable", I muttered under my breath... This finally woke the DW who unzipped the screen to ask me what was going on. "Evidently, it's time to get up!", I said. [LOL] [LOL]

All day and in stereotypically drunken @55 fashion, he paraded around the CG; sunburnt from his sandal clad feet to the top of his thin-haired head, no shirt, partially exposed plumber's butt, distended beer belly sunburned on top while lily white underneath, the whole bit. Every once in a while, he'd yell at his dog, then stretch his legs by wandering around the CG, beer in hand, social awareness button obviously switched "OFF".

He was desperately trying to get folks to come watch the football game on his TV and kept yelling "BRENT! COME WATCH THE GAME!" The kid wouldn't even come out of their TT, he'd just yell back through the screened window, "I DON'T WANT TO!".

He'd already come over once earlier but I brushed him off with a "Thanks, but I don't watch televised sports". He didn't know what to make of my response and seemed quite put off. Taking a step back, he loudly asks "YOU DON'T LIKE FOOTBALL?". "I'm just not into televised sports", I said. "YOU DON'T LIKE FOOTBALL?", he asked again... I just smiled saying, "Thanks for the offer but I've got stuff to do right here".

He walked back to his CS dejectedly shaking his head while muttering in utter disbelief. I looked at the DW and said "I think I hurt his feelings but boy was he barking up the wrong tree". The DW knows all too well that I don't watch sports much and always says that's why she married me.

Two hours later while I'm off picking up firewood, my good friend and his wife pull up in their '49 Ford hot rod. It had been a year since we last saw them and the first time we'd seen the car running, so I was pretty jazzed up and looking forward to it.

As luck would have it, they weren't even out of the car before "THAT GUY" just invites himself and some poor unfortunate "buddy" (another camping neighbor) over. "THAT GUY" stumbles his way around the car giving it a one-eyed "once over" before he starts monopolizing the conversation, asking inappropriate questions and generally making an @55 of himself.

My friend looks at me and asks, "and who's this?". I just smiled, shrugged and shook my head... "Not a clue but obviously he's a REAL big fan and you're used to dealing with that kind of attention", I said. My friend Steve is really a down-to-earth guy and humble even though he's had several cars featured in photo shoots and that have won trophies in car shows around here and in the US. He just looked at me, oh yeah he said as he rolled his eyes and laughed.

We just stood there quietly smiling, inserting an awkward pause until "THAT GUY" started asking "HOW MUCH...". "MY SOUL", Steve said as he turned and walked away. I guess "THAT GUY" finally realized that he was the only one participating in his conversation, so he and his unfortunate "buddy" wandered back to his site for another "brewskie".

Seriously, everything about "THAT GUY" was loud from the moment he opened his eyes until the moment he closed them at the end of the day.

Honestly, he seemed friendly enough, his personality obviously "enhanced" by alcohol and in some small way, I did feel the tiniest bit badly for him. It was kinda like hanging out with your best friends' little brother. You just feel compelled to be nice to him even though he's a total nuisance.

There are few things that the majority of folks seem to have less patience for than obnoxious, socially-inept drunk guys.

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Dubbya, where's your manners? Shame on ya! You were suppose to jump right in and partied with him! [LOL] [LOL] Seriously tho, you had more tolerence than I would have had. You saw the comic relief side of it all. :)

Campit

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

[LOL] I know, right? Funny thing is, if I'd have been 19 and just there to party, I'd have thought the guy was the "Ayatollah of fun". Unfortunately, he was 27 years too late! [;)]

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Dubbya, that was funny! Thanks for the chuckle!