longest camper to buy?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by ham fam, Jul 1, 2021.

1. ham fam

ham fam Member

Anyone know the average maximum length that a campsite can accommodate in Wisconsin? Thinking of buying a longer travel trailer or even a 5th wheel camper. But I don't want to limit my self to a small percentage of possible campsites. It's hard enough to find a campsite, at a state or county park.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

The bigger you go, the smaller number of sites it fits on. We have at 17ft Sonic, sitting on a pop-up site, looking at the RV section that is packed together.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First off, great job thinking about where you like to camp before immediately jumping out and upgrading. I don’t know about WI, but around here 25’ to 30’ is the max length I can find around here. Even then that marks out some of the older campgrounds. Another issue I find here at state parks, is ceiling hight can be a problem at some places. Can’t tell you how many people scratched their RV on overhanging tree limbs while trying to back into a site. Trees can also be a problem around the road leading to a site. There may be a few campgrounds that may have longer sites but not the majority. A biggest issue I’m seeing now is the number of sites in the 25-30’ range are fewer than the number of people trying to camp in that spot. So you have to start early making reservations. Good luck finding what ever you are looking for.

neighbormike likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It really depends on where you go the majority of the time - if you think you'll just stick with your SP campgrounds, I'd suggest looking at whatever reservation service they use to do a scan of site limits.
    I see many try to keep it 35' or under if they will be using national park campgrounds. Even that is pushing it at some we're used to. Moving from our 6' popup to 8' popup to 17' popup, we cut down on the sites we can choose from at places such as Grand Canyon and some of the SP and US Forest Service CGs we use. Some of the USFS campgrounds have pretty long sites though. Adding to our length is the tow vehicle. Our 8' popup was 17' extended, our TT is about 20' nose to tail (classed at 17', which is really just the cabin). We went from towing with a 4Runner, at about 17', to a truck, which is now about 19 or 20 - that 6' extra sometimes seems longer than it really is when we start looking at campsites.

5. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

My TT is 27 feet nose to tail and I have never had an issue at state parks. I have had to park my truck crooked a time or two but I have always made it work.

neighbormike and J Starsky like this.
  6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We've camped all over the country and the most common length restriction we have seen is 30'. Of course you'll run into a bunch of campground/parks with smaller sites, but 30' is the restriction that we have noticed the most.

7. upstate family

upstate family Active Member

I live in NYS and we like to camp in the Adirondacks. Our length limit is 30 because longer than that and you chance of getting a site go down dramatically. They have longer sites but the number is very limited.

campfire Joe likes this.
  8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I have a 25ft TT, and that's in the 27' tip to tail range. You put a suburban in front of that, and I could be driving a Class A length rig... With 2 adults & 2 teen+, it's just enough trailer for us to live in for three weeks per year. Anymore and I'd feel like I'm fighting it in parking lots and most normal stop off spots. Anything longer would honestly get in my way. It's still a lot to park and place exactly where I want, but I get my awning and slide out at most places, but the suburban ends up parking sideways at a lot of spots. Slide149.JPG

neighbormike and jmkay1 like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You know where you normally go (I hope)... look around and see what folks are cramming in... if you regularly camp here, I am guessing you already have your favorite campgrounds and campsites... how much bigger are you willing to back into those same sites?? This was a huge factor when I bought my TT - I still fit in every site I like...

10. Camp Crazy

Camp Crazy New Member

We camp almost exclusively at the Wisconsin State Parks. As you can see in the online reservation system, there is quite a variety of size limits (even within the same park). It seems to range from approximately 20' to 50'+. We now have a 22' (25' with hitch) TT and feel we can go just about anywhere. To go to a place like Wyalusing SP and stay right on the ridge overlooking the Wisconsin and Mississippi River Valleys, you better not be any bigger (and I am even too large for about half of those sites).

Another thing to consider is your comfort level with navigating the campground roads. My cousin feels limited to the SP's he can go to with his 29' (34' with tongue) TT because of this. That means no camping with him when we go to Kohler Andrae, Harrington, Potawatomi, etc. which is a bit of a bummer.

Unlike neighbormike, we lost a couple of sites we had enjoyed in the past with our PUP, but we still have plenty more at those same campgrounds.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Go out and buy the longest monster yo can find.....that seems to be the norm in 2020/21, especially so with first time buyers. The traffic signs, fire rings, and picnic tables have paid the price for those at our local state park. One stop sign at the entrance has been clipped at least 200 times and is a mangled mess lol.

WrkrBee and neighbormike like this.
  12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

@Old_Geezer I was thinking just about the same lol... had a guy across from me last season all P.O.’d because there was a tree “that didn’t belong there and should be cut down immediately” that he hit & dented his brand new camper.... sorry you bought too big a camper and picked the smallest site in the park dude!

J Starsky likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I find my tent trailer is too darn big much of the time. If you want to park anywhere, get a small truck camper and get to know your family really really well. :p

neighbormike likes this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

In my normal camping circle 25' and over starts to limit the available sites. We do a fair amount of camping in the mountains so I stayed under 20'.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Same for me. A 20' limit fits our camping style better than anything longer. Everyone is different, but over 20' would mean less chance of getting into places we want to be. There have already been times when we would not have found a site for something like 22-25' let alone anything bigger. That's because it's turned out there were sites available, but only small ones. Also, if going from a PUP to a TT, remember height. My TH is only 20' long overall, but it's just over 10' tall. Getting to a campsite can be "interesting" sometimes if it's an area the big TT's and motorhome don't usually go. One more thought is where you will park away from the campground. Parking lots on stops take more thought with a larger rig. I can still usually get into two spaces, back to back, without sticking out more than a foot or so. That's about the same as the Aliner with rear bike rack. This was not one of my criteria but in hindsight I'm very glad I can still do that. It sure makes short stops easier.

Those are just things to keep in mind. You need to consider the tradeoffs. Clearly many, many people find upsizing is worth it. For folks like me, that means I get to benefit by squeezing into some of the smaller sites, though not as small as ones where the Aliner just fits. It wins on that issue.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our rig doesn't stick out at all. What I miss about the PUP. 1) The fuel economy 2) being able to fit through most drive through fast food windows.