longest trips

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by NEKPOPUP, Sep 21, 2016.

1. ppad75

ppad75 New Member

My longest pop-up trip was when I was young - early eighties. My parents were teachers. We did a 6 week trip from NJ, to Colorado, up the west coast, into Canadian Rockies, back down into Glacier NP, Yellowstone etc. My parents had a 1979 Ford Econoline van and a 1979 Coleman Brandywine Pup.

All my Dad's mods were in the van. It was a simple passenger van with 2 bench seats(vinyl) in the back. He flipped the middle seat around so they faced each other and put a pedestal table in between them. My sister and I could keep occupied with crafts etc...the good old days before portable electronics.
    He built a pantry, wardrobe and bed in the very back of the van - all made out of 2x3's and that wonderful dark seventies paneling. It bolted together so he could take it out post camping season.

We always carried two spare tires. Most of the time we would catch the tires before they blew...they tended to get bubbles in the sidewalls - especially in the rockies. We went through at least 3 tires, if not 4 on that trip.

My longest trip with my wife and kids is 9 days from PA to Maine and back, if only I could get the time off to do a six week trip....

2. dion

dion Member

Twice, we've been from California to Illinois and back, taking a very roundabout route. On those trips, we've had the PuP in every state west of the Mississippi except for North Dakota, Minnesota, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Washington. We've taken it to about sixteen National Parks. It's not a good road trip unless you need at least one oil change halfway through it.

We never had a tire or bearing problem, but when we returned from our last trip, the tires were looking like they may have made their last big voyage. The sidewalls are fine, but the tread is getting very worn.

3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We take a two week trip just about every year. We were out 4500 miles on this past one. It was more driving than we usually have simply because it was out on the east coast and things take longer there. Next summer we will head out west on a 3 week trip (that is the plan anyway). We will probably get 6 or 7K on that one. In some sense, they are really wonderful and a chance to get out with the family and the kids and see stuff that we could not see otherwise. It is too bad the work piles up for when I get back. Usually a few long days of driving, but also lots of relaxing and hiking and card playing and so on. It is all about making memories, so that is fun.

4. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Just pulled in yesterday after 25 days, 6500 miles & 16 states. It was the longest & possibly best vacation of my life.

5. jjmac

jjmac Member

I'm a noob when it comes to long trips, how do you check the temp in your tires and what temperature is good / bad?

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'll admit I have been waiting to do some driving. Our longest trip is only 100 miles to Vermont for the rally. We are bookrd for a trip to the PA rally next year witch is a 300 mile run. This is long enough for me.

7. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

What I do now (starting with last vacay) is air up tires to proper inflation and watch Temps of tires, wheels, hubs, and other things with infrared thermometer.
    Tire Temps rising across all tires, ok...just one or two? Time to look closer.
    Found this to be very reliable for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

5000mi over 14 days this summer across the South west and California. Very hot, and had some issues with wind and road debris.

This fall we are looking forward to going east and up to NY about 3000mi over 10 days, but much colder, hopefully but snowy yet.

9. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

2000 miles one 14 days from Houston to Colorado

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

3426 miles from Phoenix to Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone and then back to Phoenix in two weeks in 2008.

11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

4500 miles, Maryland to Yellowstone and back in two weeks. We tried to keep the daily travel to 7 driving hours or less. No mechanic issues at all, but then the popup was only a year old, so the tires were also fairly new.

we also put several thousand miles on the camper each camping season, the popup had over 16,000 miles on her in six years. We replaced the tires at year 4, never had a blowout.

We now have a HTT camper and this first year will have put over 3000 miles over 11 trips by the time we winterize her after the Columbus day weekend trip.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[:O] Do you know what was causing that? Assuming you used the spare the first time, but were the other two tires, that blew out, new ones?

I'm surprised about all the mention of blown tires on this thread. Not something I would expect.

Trailer tires are so inexpensive, that I would put new ones on prior to a long trip. Is it a speed thing?

13. idler

idler Member

I was wondering this, too. And, I, in fact, went to etrailer to order some new tires. [?:~{]

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

If tires are loaded correctly and aired correctly and replaced at the proper interval, they should not blow out any more frequently than they do on vehicles - which is pretty rare. For a long trip, I make sure that the tires are in good shape and I air them up before leaving. I check them for air pressure midway through the trip just to make sure that all is well. I actually don't check the hubs and so on as I have had this camper for so long and do my own bearings and have checked them before (they barely get warm) I don't worry about it. For a long trip, miles on the highway are actually pretty easy on the tires.

15. idler

idler Member

This forum keeps making me worry. [;)] I did look for the date of manufacture for my tires and that was early 2015. I bought my trailer in late May 2016 and I have to assume the trailer was outside for a winter and a half in sun and winter. If I am going to go to NM or VT (now not sure) next summer, then I want a fresh start for my tires. And I'll keep them covered at my stops. And check on them, etc.

Good to hear that your tires do well for you. I'm just getting used to the whole bearings and torquing issues.

16. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

[ALPU] [PUT]We have taken our A-frame to Alaska and the Yukon twice, 2013 and 2016. Both trips exceeded 10,000 miles. We travel with two spares each for the pickup and the trailer. Never have changed a tire. Started both trips with new tires and freshly packed wheel bearings. Tires and bearing maintenance is cheap insurance for safe travels. We are approaching 30,000 miles with no problems.

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

You cant be doing 75 and 85 mph on them little 10/12 inches tires and expect not to have a blown out...

18. idler

idler Member

Agree. All that talk about tired reminded me that 60 mph is FINE.

19. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

I used my camper this summer for the first time, with old weather cracked tires... probably originals from 1994. did about 55 mph with them and went easy over bumps, and had no issues. Next spring i will replace them for new ones.

20. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

Just returned from a 3300 mile round trip (Tampa FL to Algonquin Prov Park in Ontario Canada) and had no problems at all. Kept speeds around 65 MPH in the southern states where the asphalt was quite warm and fudged that speed up to 70 or so in the northern states.