Looking at a 2006 Fleetwood Americana Bayside PUP

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Manutara, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Manutara

Manutara New Member

After three years renting a PUP during the summer we are ready to pull the trigger and buy an used one. We have three kids, so it has to be at least a 10', but I am looking mostly for a 12'.

Well, last weekend a 12' Fleetwood Americana Bayside was announced, at a very interesting price, in the pictures it looked Ok, but clearly needed some TLC, slideout fot the dinette, front storage box, water heater, king sized beds on both sides.

I checked it yesterday, the structure seems fine, it was correctly stabilized and felt stable, there had been a roof leak that was fixed, you could see the damage signs in the inside, but it was dry and couldn't find any soft spots in the roof or the floor. My biggest concern is the slight smell of moisture in the inside, and the mold on some corners in the canvas, is it something that could be addressed without becoming a nighmare?

What attracts me here is that there are no similar PUPs on the price range they are asking for this one, particularly with that amount of inside space.

Here are some reference pictures I found in the Internet, not the actual one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

The damp mildew smell and mold is fairly easy to remove. If everything else checked out, I would go for it.

3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would definitely pass on that. Water damage is like an ice berg - only like 10% is above the surface, the rest is lurking below... That's probably why it's priced cheaper than others.

Manutara likes this.
  4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

As one who has owned several Fleetwood popups I wouldn't touch any with an AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof. Your choice of course but you can bet this roof will be a continuing issue with this 2006 Bayside.

Manutara likes this.
  5. Manutara

Manutara New Member

Thanks to all for the advices, today I was giving a second and third thought about this opportunity, mold and moisture can be addressed one way or another, but fixing a water damaged roof can be like opening Pandora's box... I will keep looking